boxer 19271 restoration | Page 14 | FerrariChat

boxer 19271 restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The studs should be wasted but not at their begins and threaded ends. This would mean they locate just as well as now but there is a much reduced block to stud contact area. Engineering 101.
    Pete

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #327 Newman, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Removed studs from the block and timing cover. Pressed out timing cover bearings and started on gear inspection. Im replacing the welded unit with one of my billet case hardened units to eliminate the possibility of a failure down the road.

The carrier internals on the left are from a BB512, the right a 275 4 cam. Not identical but almost. The 512 internals are no stronger than the 275, they carried this design all the way up to the 512M from the 275 and possibly earlier.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #328 Newman, Aug 27, 2012
    Fiber glass going back in. I thought I would get all 4 inners in as well but there just wasnt enough time. I have to repair the LF inner before putting it back in and I may leave the rears out for now until were finished a few other details in the rear. They go in easy. Ill also lay down the bonding strips that seal the joints between the sections and fill in gaps where it meets the frame rails. I havent counted the rivets I installed yet but im over 200 thats for sure. I added a heat insulation wrap over the central frame tube that houses the main coolant pipes before installing the floors. Ill add more to the top of the tunnel before I install the carpet and console. To say im tired is an understatement.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Amazing !!!

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #330 Newman, Aug 28, 2012
    Today I laid in the bonding strips and seam sealer. Ill add more fiberglass on the passenger side bonding strip to make the transition down to the foot well nicer. The factory used putty around the seat mounts and belt real mounts but I went with a more high tech solution using seam sealer. We'll be painting over it so you wont know the difference once its ready to be hidden by insulation, glue and carpet.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Couldnt put in the inners, need to do some fender heel work and a few repairs to the inners themselves first.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #332 Newman, Aug 28, 2012
  8. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    How does the cost of these (assumed to be) OEM Ferrari rods compare to aftermarket rods?

Like, as one example, Carrillo, which one can by in the (+/-) $300 USD each range?

Thanks - DM

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Same price pretty much but they're lighter because as far as I know carrillo sells H-beam rods in steel for that price which support 1000HP but they're heavy. Ti wouldnt be $300/rod.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

really looking fantastic paul. it will begin to take the lovely boxer form soon!!!

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #336 Newman, Sep 5, 2012
    Ive started prepping the exterior trim for painting or anodizing depending on part. Common booboo is to paint the rear intake inlets black, they are anodized from new and surrounded by the painted satin black portions on the rear clamshell. These were painted so prior to anodizing I need to remove every molecule of paint for a proper finish. The upper drip rail is painted as is the windshield trim, back glass trim, window frames and quarter glass trim. There is a lower drip rail trim piece thats anodized. The front hood grill will also be re-anodized along with the rear grill but the tail light surrounds are steel so they are to be painted.

Stripped of paint on the right you can see the color difference vs the painted one on the left (most evident on the mount flange in the photo, better in person). They even sanded it but its funny because the invoices from 88 when it was restored say they charged out and replaced the full rear grill and intake grills but they have been sanded and painted........

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im really excited to see it in paint Pete! Should be soon, deadline is before christmas to be in paint and ready for me to put the suspension back in, etc etc. It'll be insane to see the bright orange with black, everything looking new, im jealous I wish it was mine and ill admit Ive tried to buy it more than once but its not for sale.

13. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #338 willrace, Sep 5, 2012
    Are you sure that's not reversed? The shorter Upper drip rail on #42849 is HC Anodized, and the lower, longer one that goes to the bottom of the windshield is painted.

Because of the difficulty in maintaining the "shiny" of the upper one, those are being powdercoated this time (they were scratched, requiring refinishing), along with the door handles - the only two glossy black trim items on the car that I can think of at the moment.

Did you notice the matching Build Numbers on the underside of the three longer deck vents and the upper (against the A-pillar) side of those long lower drip rails? Looks like #42849 was #224 of the BBi run.

14. ferraripete

i would love to see this car shown at some important events. it would be nice to have your insane detailed restos judged/validated.

this will have to be a seriously valuable car when complete. no boxer will sell well in an auction but to an individual that has looked at enough cars...he would pay up for one of this caliber. period!!!!!

15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    These are the ones usually we all want to buy ;)

Can't wait to see it come together Paul !

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Hi Pete. The targeted completion date is December 2013; just in time for the 2014 Cavallino. Consider yourself invited, as long as 19271 is.

17. ferraripete

she will fare very well i suspect!!!!

18. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Let me just pile on the compliments. The other great thing about this car and your work is the documentation.

We've all witnessed the thoroughness, detail, great pics, interesting finds and the fact that you've moved like 4 times and had a spat with an attractive neighbor in the process.

I agree, the orange is going to be crazy. It'll spin people's retinas back when displayed on the lawn, but they won't be able to look away. Thanks for the front row seat to the restoration, Paul!

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The short ones on my boxer are anodized and the rest painted. Also when you flip the long ones over as well as the windshield and back glass trim the paint simply peels off the back side but anything anodized doesn't peel. I'm certain just the short drip rails are anodized which jives with my untouched 82.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Hope you guys are right! It's certainly a fun project I'll never forget and it's an honor to be the one to restore this important car.

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Just a bit of info I received from my local Anodizer... I took some of my BB vents, etc to be anodized and the fellow stated that he could not guarantee the work unless I deconstructed the vents into their constituent pieces. He was concerned that some of the chemicals used in the pre-anodization stage could wick into the crevices and thus causing inconsistent anodization where the pieces interface with one another. I decided to bail and leave well enough alone until I had time to decide the best course of action. Anyway, just an FYI. Whatever you do here please let us know.

Cheers,

Sam

22. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    If your car is there, I know I will find a way to be there. I can hear the buzz from here...

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The reproduction front grills get anodized assembled without issue. Ill know next week on the black vents.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #349 Newman, Sep 6, 2012
    Spent some time stripping a few more items today. Rear grill was in excellent shape im not sure why they painted it. Rear inlet grills were sanded before paint so im not sure how well they'll turn out but we'll see. Hood grills will be redone (have 2) but they're a bit more involved and need to be done in pieces.

All window trim is painted (steel and aluminum) except the short drip rails which are anodized. Hand made for sure and welded in the middle top for the back window trim. Several coats of paint so a layer at a time until im down to bare aluminum.

New rear panels I offer for boxers.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was another "points off"....all the (rattle can?) painting of ALL that anodized roof/door/windshield trim...

A real heartbreak, as it's all riveted in place.