Brawn wants to get rid of grid penalties and DRS | FerrariChat

Brawn wants to get rid of grid penalties and DRS

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Sounds like great news to me.

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Haha exactly. But with next years aero the same as this year, the races will be even more of a drag. The close following package has to be finalized by May 2018 (and if they haven't, I'll drive over to FIA headoffice and will bang some ****ing heads together)

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Done!!......Let's do it. I'm in.

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Bas won't need help, he's a muscle mountain at 6'7! (Oh, and did I mention he's in adult entertainment hehehe! Before anyone chimes in. Me and Pete sing off will be there and film it)

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Good news if it happens :)

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I can't see the constructors giving up willingly years of aero R&D, but they may have to.

DRS is like a bit of plaster on a wooden leg, but it allows some overtaking and apparently that's what the fans want.

As for grid penalties, they affect the driver more than the team, IMO.
    Since I cannot make sense of limiting the number if components during a season in a series that claims to be the "pinnacle of motor sport", I think the issue should never have come about anyway - just like the ban on testing.
    The teams should use as many engines and gearboxes as they need, and test as much as they want without any restriction.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Grid penalties and limits are stupid. Remember when drivers were allowed to run and get into spare car after 1st lap accident?

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes but in those days it didn't take 15 minutes to start the cars.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Make that 45 mins these days. Yep. 45.

Back then it was as simple as preheat the oil and water.

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Absurd, the entire formula is a joke.

13. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    No kidding, but at least it is road car relevant (I could not possibly care less). Brawn and new owners seem to be taking F1 in the right direction, but watch the FIA screw it up.

14. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    HAHA!

1) Insert Large Spoon Into Pot
    2) Move Large spoon in a slow circular motion

15. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    All well and good. These things (testing ban and component limits) were put in place primarily to contain costs. And they've failed in achieving this objective. But in order to eliminate these measures, they will need to come up with some other (effective) approaches to contain costs, otherwise everyone is going to leave.

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ross Brawn might save this sport. Now get rid of these garbage engines, bring back testing and lets go racing.

17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am a little concerned. Are they saying they want to actually have racing? In F1? Who'd watch that?

Seriously... why is this such a big deal? It shows just how far out of touch they've become. Stop developing and optimizing cars and regulations that make race cars run by themselves... genius! Too bad this will all take years to put into place. It's no different then the stupid shark fins and TV antennas that are on the car now. No one liked it or wanted it when practice started... yet they wait a year to remove it. Stupid.

The ONLY reason i'm okay with DRS is because it's the ONLY way we can get a pass now and then between the top contenders. How dumb is it that Lewis or Seb or Max have to start 5 places back because Kyvat rear ended one of them and ruined their gearbox? Fix the formula. A smart race engine should cost 25% of what it does now and be a 100 times more reliable. Remove the stupid gearbox limits then. Good Lord! It's not that complicated!

18. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    +1

They are not cars. They are over sensitive aircraft with four wheels.

Brawn might just save F1

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Good. The fewer regulations, both sporting and technical, the better.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The grid penalties I agree with. They do nothing to save costs.

But the problem is all the aero stuff. No matter how you regulate it, someone else will find a way (as McLaren did with the original F duct which eventually led to DRS). Remember Ferrari's "flexible" front wing?

What they really need is a new engine formula to get other manufactures to make engines (Porsche, BMW, Ford, Kia, etc). That to me is the biggest problem they face today.

What would be great is the return of the small teams innovating while being able to afford one of several PU's of their choice. Its impossible like a team like Williams to win today. It wasn't always that way.

And I would BAN all wind tunnel testing in favor of unlimited real world track testing. Bigger teams have too much of an advantage in this area over the smaller teams.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #21 william, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Containing costs may sound like a good idea, but in practice it's unrealistic.

For a start, the teams operate in different countries, so the labour costs, the taxation, the price of manufactured goods, the machinery vary from one place to another. Sauber lives in a very expensive country, so it's costs will always be higher than if it was located in, say France or Italy, I guess. Machining costs will be vastly different for Haas ( machine tool manufacturer) compared to Force India that subcontracts most of its machining, for example.

Also, when you limit costs in one area like engines and gearbox, the money is spent somewhere else. The ban on testing has led to an escalade in simulator technology, etc...

So, try to limit cost is just a red herring; it just doesn't work. Trying to limit costs has not made the lesser teams nearer the front, and it has not emasculated the rich teams as intended.

It's like harmonising costs in different countries that are really disparate. Some will always have money to burn, so let's them do it!

22. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Significantly decrease downforce, decrease friction brake size, increase mechanical grip, increase drag (they did both of these with the wider tires - a step in the right direction), increase HP, create more definitive track limits that penalize overstepping the boundary (1 car width of low friction asphalt behind exit curb?), provide reasonable testing opportunities for all teams and drivers, especially the teams Jr drivers. (Monday after each event on a permanent circuit?), stop with fuel flow rate limits, but provide a fixed BTU limit of fuel and let them work out how and when to use it. Open up alternatives to the current engine configuration and fuel type.

The result with be cars that can get close to each other and pass without artificial assistance, can out brake in braking zone, accelerate well and must be driven with precision.

Downforce has no direct commercial manufacturer application, yet massive resources are used for computational fluid dynamics.

23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Why don't the FIA just mandate a simple standardised front wing for all teams. The ridiculous designs they have today make no sense, are totally over engineered and are directly responsible for the inability to follow the car in front.

Getting rid of penalties and drs are great ideas too.

24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Good idea. Standardised front wings just like the tyres.

Ban wind tunnels and sanction real testing at Barcelona and Silverstone all year long.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But even with these limitations, you will find some teams employing 1200 staff, and others just 200.

The teams who can afford it, will always find a way to spend money.