Calorie intake counting | FerrariChat

Calorie intake counting

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LightGuy, Aug 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm absolutely convinced the best way to loose weight is not through exercise but through controlled eating.
    A few years ago my mindset changed and from there on only ate good food; No carbs or fats.
    At one point I was losing half a pound a day.
    I remember the Pizza that did me in ;)

I'd like to get back to that place and understand there are ways to count and record calorie intake.
    Like a physical paper log book.
    What would be nice is to have a way of calculating actual calorie intake for the amount and type of food. perhaps a weight scale ?
    Is there an electronic way of doing everything ?

Signed; Luddite Dave

2. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    no there isn't, wish there was, I stay away from anything boxed or canned, seems to help,,

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I lost 60 pounds using tap and track. They haven't updated the app in a while though. At the time it was pretty easy to find anything you'd ever eat in its menu.

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I lost 40 lbs about 10 years ago (and kept it off) just counting calories in my head. A few years ago, I started using Myfitnesspal to quantify on my phone, and that seems to be working pretty well (I lost another 5 lbs after starting to use Myfitnesspal).

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #6 TexasF355F1, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    This.

And David, you're convinced because it's fact. ;)

There's a reason they say abs are built in the kitchen. I would recommend adding some exercise in with a new diet. It's something else that can help hold you accountable. As well as regularly checking in to this section for support and encouragement. :)

6. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #7 LightGuy, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Thanks.

Just signed up.
    Because "diet" is on my mind I was surprised to see my intake today is about half of what I can allowably intake to reach my eventual goal.
    They say accountability is a great motivator.
    We will see.

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I use the free Lose It app. Lost 37 pounds and kept it off for two years now. EZ to use, very intuitive and allows you to set personal goals.

Good luck!

Sent by itsy bitsy electrons

8. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Weekends are going to be a "challenge".
    I can live with 95 calories for Michelob Ultra but 55 for Miller's diet piss beer ?

9. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Congrats !
    You are an inspiration.

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This is where you have to do cardio to burn off those beer calories.;)

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

Thanks

The downsize (pun intended) is that all my Ferrari branded clothing is two sizes too big! I figure I've kept it off for two years now, modified my eating habits, and don't intend to regain the weight.

I need to post the items for sale on FCHAT.

BTW, set a realistic goal of 4# per month. Don't do a crash diet. Be realistic about the weight loss goal. You didn't pack it on in two weeks.

Sent by itsy bitsy electrons

12. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    You know what's good for you, and what isn't. You also understand moderation.

Just eat clean, and watch the portions.

Follow it up with light exercise, and you will mentally feel much better.

13. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    As an alternative, take a look at 21 Day Fix. Basically you get containers of certain sizes for certain types of food. You get a certain number of containers depending on your calorie goals.

What I like most is that I portion all of my food the night before. So what I have is a daily "food budget". I see exactly how much I get to eat all day and I pace myself accordingly.

GT

P.S. All I did was buy the containers off of Amazon, not buy the entire program.

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Even easier to just buy a scale.

15. 1slocrx

1slocrx Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Im using a combination of Fitbit products. Aria scale with Alta wrist band, then food tracking with their Fitbit mobile app. So far its had every food ive eaten. It has opened my eyes to how much crap I actually eat and how far past my caloric needs I eat as well. So it has helped me.

16. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    +1

Got a Fitbit Charge 2 for Christmas and wow, I like it. It is so easy to see activity and do the calorie counting. I've lost 5 lbs in about 2 weeks. I am not over weight, just wanting to trim a bit. I was 187lbs, 5'10" tall, 34" waist and a 42-44 chest. At my age I still need to get the athletic cut suit otherwise the jacket fits like crap and the pants need major taking in.

My weight goal is 180lbs and it looks like I'll make it in another 2 weeks....easily.

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FACT:

Men can take their goal weight, multiply that number by 11 and consume that many calories every day to eventually achieve or maintain it, and it doesn't matter at all what you eat.

With women the number is X10.

3500 calories = 1# and we burn 120-125/hr just existing. Do the math.

18. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    #19 Argento360, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    I used MyFitnessPal phone app. Easy to use, has a food item database with both whole foods and servings and packaged/processed food with full nutrition and calorie information by package and brand name even. It also allows you to save favorite meals so when you have one you just select it and it adds the calories for that day. It also tracks calories burned by exercise and combines all of this to hit your target weight by a certain date. For me it worked absolutely perfectly, right on target and you can accelerate your progress (or just eat more, lol) if you even just walk briskly for 2 miles a day. For me, not counting calories does not work. It's just too easy to go way over what's required to lose weight. Once you find some low calorie meals you really enjoy, it's almost fun going through your daily calorie budget. Pro tip if you love veggies: broccoli and spinach have almost zero calories so you can eat as much as you could possibly want. Also pickles, few calories and lots of taste! Then there's egg whites, ***e yogurt and 100 calorie snack packs. So easy.

19. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    I used MyFitnessPal phone app. Easy to use, has a food item database with both whole foods and packaged/processed foods with full nutrition and calorie information by package and brand name even. It also allows you to save favorite meals so when you have one you just select it and it adds the calories for that day. It also tracks calories burned by exercise and combines all of this to hit your target weight by a certain date.

For me it worked absolutely perfectly, right on target and you can accelerate your progress (or just eat more, lol) if you even just walk briskly for 2 miles a day. Counting calories for me anyway just does not work. It's too easy to go way over what's required daily to lose weight. Once you find some low calorie meals you really enjoy, it's almost fun going through your daily calorie budget.

Pro tip: if you love veggies, broccoli, spinach and many others have almost zero calories so you can eat as much as you want. Also pickles. Few calories and lots of taste! Then there's egg whites, ***e yogurt and 100 calorie snack packs. For me, packaged food with exact calorie counts and nutritional info made it a lot easier than trying to figure out the calories in say the potato I bought or how many ounces of this or that I might be eating. This app made it all easy.

20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Great thread - helps keep me motivated. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This is what I use. I enter in everything I eat, whether packaged, at a restaurant, or my own recipes. It really helps for keeping track of things and also understanding the content of food beyond just raw calories.

You can also enter in your exercise, although I would warn that unless you are using cardio machines at the gym at a high level, then it will overestimate the calories burned - go with what the machine is estimating and then adjust the calories in the app. I always try to underestimate calories burned through exercise so as not to delude myself into eating too much.

All the best,
    Andrew.