Can an Enzo TCU be used in a 360F1? | FerrariChat

Can an Enzo TCU be used in a 360F1?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Project JF360, Aug 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    Hi all

I'm new to posting comments although I have been an avid follower of FChat since I first acquired my MY99 360F1 Modena about 3 years ago. Hopefully I will become more of a contributor but my technical knowledge is only what is gleaned from your forum.

I have the opportunity to buy an Enzo TCU (CFC221F.01 Ferrari FX) and I wanted to know if this could be reflashed/reprogrammed to run in my 360 in place of my Mk1TCU (p/n: 176552). I'm also aware that we have forum members who are experts at reflashing (or whatever happens) 360/CS/430 TCU's to upgrade older 360 versions for quicker shifts and to enable setting of the PIS but I don't know who exactly has been doing this for you guys - a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

I have read every thread about later p/n 360 TCU's and 360CS TCU's already but cannot find anything about the Enzo TCU being used so forgive me if I have missed one.

Thanks.

2. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Common sense would tell me that it will not work. Use the CS TCU, it should be best you can have with an F1 system. And is known to work well.

3. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    But why does common sense say that? The p/n for the Enzo TCU fits betweeen the last and penultimate 360 TCU p/n's. I suspect the pins might (but I don't know) be arranged in a different order.

I'm interested in finding out as I have the chance for this TCU but haven't seen any CS-TCU's recently so that isn't an option presently.

Is it Eric that flashes TCU's? Happy to send it over for an inspection etc.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Common sense does not say that. Ferraris of the same vintage used the same Bosch hardware with specialized software for each application. I have bought Maserati TCUs for Eric to convert to CS TCUs, only because they share the same hardware as Ferraris and the Ferrari parts are (big surprise) generally more expensive. Send a PM to eric355 and he can confirm whether that Bosch box will work for you.

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    I also was following a not-too-expensive used Enzo TCU on ebay. It is sold now.
    I have not yet worked on a CFC221, so I have no definitive answer. Though I would say that chances are high that it could be reflashed to CS spec.
    I would need to open it and to test it to confirm if feasible or not.

6. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    Eric, I don't know how to send pm's as I was hoping to send a message direct to you in the first place but so pleased you've seen this thread. Some forums (in my past experiences) don't allow you to send them until you've sent a set number of open forum messages - so perhaps this is why - but I digress. I'm happy to send this TCU over to you in La Belle France if you want to open her up and take a look inside (and I'll happily pay the postage in both directions just so you can add to your knowledge for the benefit of the rest of us). This box might even be the one you were watching - eBay UK? If it proves a non-starter then I'd be grateful to chat with you about sourcing a TCU better than my existing one. Many thanks.

7. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    PM sent ...

8. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    Thank you Eric - reply sent. Ferrarista's like yourself are what make this forum the valuable place it is. Thank you.

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Got it John, thank you.
    CFC201 and CFC231 have different hardwares, I really wonder what is inside a CFC221 ...

10. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    Well, Eric, it will be on its way over to you this afternoon. So, enjoy! And if it can't be done then it can't be done. Thanks.

11. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Way to go guys. This sounds interesting. What is the gearing on an Enzo anyway? 6 speed or 7? Is the clutch similar? I'll look into that. But I can attest to the value of a CS TCU. Fantastic and what F1 should have been from the beginning. Still waiting on my alternator, turned cable, turned oil sender repair to be finished. Almost 3 weeks. Sigh. I suspect a lot of techs are on vacation, including the master tech from the old country. :(

Good news is, my Giulia may arrive in port by next week :D

12. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    Morning Eric - has the CFC221 arrived? Thanks.

13. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    UPDATE

Wonderful news guys - Eric, the man-who-can, has done!!! Apparently the CFC221 has the same TCU hardware. Seems there was an initial problem with this particular box, but no surprise that Eric has fixed that as well. Now to pay the man and get it back for installation, testing and further report. My ‘99 will soon be the way god/Enzo intended - with a little bit of FX/Enzo DNA inside her.

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Good luck on your project, JohnF. Am already imagining a much louder barking sound when downshifting! :)

15. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Eric my car is 2003, I believe I have the latest TCU, can it be reflashed to CS???

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, same hardware as the CS. Eric can do it for you.

17. Project JF360

Project JF360 Karting

Oct 29, 2015
    UK/Portugal
    Full Name:
    J0hnF
    Hi Eric. I’ve been absent from the forum for a while. I have sent you a private message. Please email me at work if you get the chance to one evening. Many thanks.