Cannonball Countach-rest of the story | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Cannonball Countach-rest of the story

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jeff512tr, Mar 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WillieB

WillieB Karting

May 29, 2008
    Canada
    Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. But I think the first half of the intro it is a real Countach. But just before it jumps the swamp, notice the wheels are different and so is the front spoiler.

I hope Brock Yates does make another one. Won't be as great without the Rat Pack; Sinatra, Dino and Sammy Davis Jr etc and who could forget Jack Elam who played the creepy doctor etc. He was awesome!!

2. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I myself have believed that the Countach we see on the pavement in the Speed Zone! intro is an actual Countach. But once it leaves the pavement it's obviously a replica. Now, it could be the same car, and if it is, then they raised the suspension to run it on the dirt road and changed the chin spoiler.

3. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    But if you look real close the body looks like one piece the wheel flares dont look like they unbolt like the real ones. I really say its a replica threw the hole show.

4. The front bumper on the speed zone Countach is not a style that is seen that often. I can't remember seeing a kit with that bumper. The back area around the exhaust looks like it's all red car body. No grill, just all red. From that shot, if I was betting, I would bet it's a kit from the beginning. I would agree there is two different cars in the intro.

5. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    front spoiler is removed for the scene where they lockup oin approach to the roadblock and enter the dirt road
    but once the cars on that road its back (check 4:08) suspension doesnt look raised there either.

the thing about the kit car thats in the later scenes in the movie is that its very obviously a kit, but this one in the intro im not so sure about.

6. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    Well I talked to the guy that made the kit for the show its been a long time ago. Its was a place in Texas close to Mexico dodnt really remember the name but it might have been Newman. It had a Corvette motor with a Porscha trans axle.

7. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is one of the coolest stories I have ever read. I need to see the Dumb and Dumber Diablo sometime! Hopefully Ill run across it somewhere in my travels. ANd your story about the video fo you saying you will have it gave me chills. how cool is that!

8. jeff512tr

jeff512tr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    Celebration, FL
    Both cars will be at the Celebration Exotic Car Festival April 17-19. This is a huge event (250+ exotic cars), and is held in Celebration, FL, adjacent to Disney World in Orlando.
    The event is fantastic, and definitely worth the trip!
    www.celebrationexoticcars.com

9. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Then it's the most accurately proportioned Countach replica I've ever seen, especially in those first few shots on the tarmac.

10. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    unless he means the car used later in the film - which is very obviously a kit

11. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    He also says...

12. captwillieb 328gts

captwillieb 328gts Formula 3

Nov 8, 2008
    Cool, CA
    Full Name:
    Willie B
    A little late to the party, but Congratulations Jeff ! Another beautiful car to add to your fantastic collection...
    Great job... oh, and the astronaut says she wants a ride in it as well !!!

13. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    then its more than one replica, as theyre quite obviously 2 different cars

14. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Yeah, that was part of the reason I always thought the intro car was real.

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Congrats! An Icon!

16. jeff512tr

jeff512tr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    Celebration, FL
    Thank you Jim!

17. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    Maybe there was more then one replica in speed zone but there was one for sure. But the first one you see doesnt look real to me.
    I have watched the show a couple of times you need to watch it and tell me what you think

18. Pantera1889

Pantera1889 Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland
    I have also heard that there was also a replica used in the original Cannonball run. There is a well respected member on another forum who claims to own one of the replicas. He says it's in a milloin pieces in storage. Anyone know if this is true? I'm sure it's possible. I know they used a re-bodied DeTomaso Pantera on Miami Vice for the stunt work for the Ferrari Testarossa.

Also,
    Congrats on the purchase!!! The ultimate exotic car!!!!

Ron

19. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    ^^ Sorry, but you were lied to.

20. Pantera1889

Pantera1889 Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland
    About which part? I am 100% that the car in this thread was the car that was used in the original Cannonball Run.But it could be possible that there were also other cars used for certain shots ???? A "stunt double " so to speak..
    Ron

21. drew138

drew138 Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    So glad she actually wound up in one of the innumerable people that have dreamed of the car. Amazing how few of them were actually made. To have this specific one is truly special. Enjoy her, and share the dream with others as you will surely bring a smile to anyone who grew up with this specific car in their dreams. Thank you for sharing her here with us!

22. coco1984

coco1984 Karting

Aug 6, 2008
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Richard
    you are one lucky sum-*****!

but i must say congratulations on obtaining this car. now i know i will never have the chance of owning it in my lifetime...but at least im happy to know that its still in existance and that it will be taken care of.

but i speak for most of us, be sure to keep her active and let us know of its progress, pre-resto, resto and post-resto.

oh, and a request?!?!

please post some high-res pics for us! and get some vids too :)

once again. congrats :)

23. coco1984

coco1984 Karting

Aug 6, 2008
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #73 coco1984, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    i highly doubt it!!!!

countach replicas would have been unheard of back in 1980-81.

also, the DVD commentary of the movie, it states that the car was actually borrowed from the then-owner.

24. coco1984

coco1984 Karting

Aug 6, 2008
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Richard
    DROOOOOOOOOL!

but i doubt it would be as active as in the original

25. coco1984

coco1984 Karting

Aug 6, 2008
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Richard
    don't know how detailed you are going to be, but i can note some:

1. front indicator lights - they kept the euro indicators, but extended it using reflectors (so i believe)
    2. obviously already stated...cream/tan interior
    3. beh.....they also had a white 80's in-car phone on the drivers side, but i doubt that you'd want to add that.