car design thread | Page 110 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You should have heard Chuck's assessment of the guy :eek: :)

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Not really surprised. He did get a long interview with Irv though.

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #2728 tritone, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  5. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #2731 F1tommy, Jul 16, 2015
  7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I was sooo tempted to add some caustic remark about the 'quality'? of these designs vs current designs (esp some of the OTT 'anime' Japanese designs), but I didn't want to get piled on for "liking retro" or some other nonsense......(there; I've said too much already....) /end

9. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    But these are the complete opposite of retro.

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    15 yd penalty for 'piling on' :)

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I bought a 2004 MINI! :D

I really liked the 2001-2007 (first generation) BMW MINI designed by Frank Stephenson. The second generation one looked a little too bubbly and cartoony. The third generation one looks really weird. :eek:

John is right in that while the first retro design was very good, where's it going after that? The lights are getting bigger, the tachometer is getting bigger, the car is getting increasingly bubbly and styled with bends and creases... it just doesn't look cohesive any more, almost like too many people who weren't talking to each other tried to tweak each portion of the car.

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    This is also an indicator of "management" getting scared on where to go. The first version was successful so they miss the essence of what made the success. Result all new tooling that looks like a mid cycle freshening. Worse is to hang every clinic suggestion on the design to make a perfect camel. No ability to lead if one is clueless on where they are going.

Jeff

13. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    #2738 330 4HL, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Funny, I'm certainly no fan of "retro", and I can see the constraints VW has put on it's designers with the "new" Beetle, but I just don't get the angst over the Mini. Granted, I don't think they've done a particularly good job of moving the design forward, having opted instead for more & more cartoonish versions of the original car, but I think that's down more to bad corporate direction from BMW than available design options.
    If you go back to the period of the original Issigonis Mini, it's overall design was revolutionary, but its face was hardly unique, featuring pretty typical British design cues of the era seen in many other cars such as the A50 or even the earlier Standard Vanguard. If you start with that typical form and track how other companies made the transition going forward, it shouldn't be too difficult to formulate a plan.
    Also, what was done with the Mini in period? Wolseley Hornet and the Riley Elf? Austin America? BLMC even did a rectangular grille on the Mini at one point (mid-70s?) called the Clubman I believe. Austin Metro anyone?

In the end the Mini is just a hot hatch with a somewhat individual face; it just shouldn't be that difficult to move on.

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I saw this 2009 version in person, a two seater one off by Pininfarina for a private party. Somewhat odd styling but great workmanship. Does $5 million seem high to create one car? It's for sale in the Mideast for $6-7 million, I don't think they're even going to get the original investment backl Any comments on the styling or wisdom of RR offering a "selfish" two seater? There's drawing on the net of a two seater based on the present body. Look it up under "16-cylinder Phantom." No joke, they have a 16-cylinder experimental engine, one was in the Phantom Rowan Atkinson drove in a recent movie. The drawing is exaggerated though with a windscreen that looks chopped by a third at least....

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Photos?

16. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    $5 million is fine, depending on what you are getting. Rolls Royce should definitely offer this service. No one should ever expect to get their money back from such a venture, it needs to be about the desire to have what they want regardless of the cost. Most of these commissioned works should expect to depreciate by at least 50% the day they are delivered. There are certainly exceptions, Jim's P4/5 would probably sell well, and something made for someone famous, like Eric Clapton's Ferrari, may do OK because of his connection to it and the fact that it is a Ferrari. If it did not have the Ferrari name on it, it would be losing money from day one. There have been a number of these one off Ferrari's that were less than attractive and they will not be worth much until they are really old. With the current market craziness, speculators may pay stupid money for any one off Ferrari, but it is still probably less than it cost in the first place.

17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #2743 tritone, Jul 19, 2015
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  21. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    "all quite on the Italian Front"

they're thinking :)

they have everyone's models & presentation boards..........the ball's in their court

23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Getting close on the lack of design leadership. Of course he held back by not addressing when the companies select new heads of design for their pliability. That person is then going to stay in line instead of really fighting for the sanctity of design.

Harley Earl was successful because he had the backing from Sloan. Exner was successful because he had the backing of Tex. Both were able to drive forward according to their vision. Waiting for the competition to introduce something so they could roll it into their studio to "interpret".

Move forward in time and look at what Jack Telnack and Tom Gale did. Both were given the freedom to lead.

One thing that Peter did not touch on was the package. If everyone decides to use the virtually the same package then there is only so much available to clothe it. In one of Bob Lutz's books he railed against the GM product planners total allegiance to determining all passenger compartment dimension as a percentile to all the competition. Lutz then argued that when the potential customer walked into a showroom and listened to the salesman pitch the equivalent of "the car may look boring but it has 95 percentile ranking against the competition" was a loosing argument. Compromise some of those rankings and the car can become desirable. Look at the MB CLS. The back seat suffered for the styling but they were the car that people wanted.

Jeff

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Today's update from Ferrari: decision delayed till October