CEL & No codes | FerrariChat

CEL & No codes

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Aug 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    '95 spyder. This morning, cruised about 30min to some nice roads, drove leisurely at about 40mph @ 2500rpm. About 30min later, CEL 5-8 came on & off. Quite a few times. It seemed to pop at the exhaust a bit more than usual letting up from 4-5KRPM. Ran at speed, no CEL. drive for a little bit low speed & low rpm & it would come on for 1-2 seconds. Tried to pull the codes (while she was not idling) and got the obligatory 1121, but nothing else.

I thought if the CEL lit, it would log an error?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On your 95, if the condition goes away, the error codes go away. I would not worry too much about it until it become steady and readable.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Correct.

But, I've been here before - changed the O2 sensors and the problem went away.

BTW - It was advice given to me from John K and he was right :)

Hi John ;)

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I took the wife for ice cream tonight. More for an excuse to see if the problem persisted. No cel, but only 8 miles. But she is not running right while cruising at < 3500RPM. Idle she is fine & doesn't seem to miss a beat.

I'll pull the plugs tomorrow & see if they have a story.

5. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Good idea on the plugs. I recently had a really poor running situation and on advice from an expert tech pulled the plugs and sure enough one was wet. Replaced it and all is well. Possibly a faulty injector is leading to issues there. Will be servicing the injectors soon.

6. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Plugs, plug wires, replacing bad injector electrical connector, cleaning MAF and checking for air leaks all added a little to getting my 96 OBD2 running smooth and code free. Those plug wires are really packed in there. Try jiggling the injector connectors while it is running, that is how I discovered a bad wire.

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    The plug wires are new as of about May. Pulled the plugs & they were clean, though #8 was a little loose and the gap a smidge open. Air filter is a K&N and looks factory fresh and the Maf was cleaned May(ish). I doubt I made a difference, but I'll check tomorrow.

8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    FWIW, back when I was into the e39 M5, I remember people that used K&N filters with oil seemed to have more MAF problems. They thought it may be due to the oil contaminating the MAF. Good luck, keep us posted.

I like Daves idea of of O2 sensors, easy enough to change.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    FWIW, Luke had a very similar issue with his 95 and adviced him to change his O2 sensor(s) and it solved the problem.

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Came back from the shop today. timing Sensors cleaned. So far, so good.