Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #26 Nurburgringer, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    general question: how do you build your fire for smoking?

I started out by lighting ~8 briquettes in a small aluminum tray, then laid a couple split oak pieces on top.
    The pic below is after about an hour, right after setting the chunk of wet mesquite on the coals. Soon after this I needed more oak, another mesq chunk about an hour later, and handfulls of wet pecan and oak chips. Wish I took more pics, later on there was at least twice the amount of smoldering wood.
    Even so as you can see the firebox is much larger than I ended up using - i got plenty of smoke the whole time but next go will use more fuel from the beginning to get the temp up. Outside is was a chilly and breezy 50ish, so on hotter days it won't require much more fuel if any.

For those who tend a firebox, do you start off with charcoal/wood or use nothing but wood start to finish? How do you build/start the fire?
    Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #27 It's Ross, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    The instructions with my Weber said to use cubes of parafin which I did on a dry run to see how the thing was going to work. It was a damn pain in the ass to light, I used up pretty much a whole load of butane in one of those stick type lighters getting enough parrafin melted and some coals going. Then it stunk to high heaven.
    Next time I used regular charcoal lighter fluid and made sure it was well burned off before closing the smoker or adding any meat.
    I'm learning too so will be buying one of those chimney style starters for future use.
    Used dry wood too. Supposedly the smoke flavor is absorbed early on in the process so I wasn't too worried hours later after the wood was burned out.

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'd recommend using a chimney to start some lump then putting wood on top. That is how I do it with my Egg.

4. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    A chimney works great. I also recommend an electric starter. It's like a heating element and works great.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good choice Kurt. My dad has the same one.

6. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    My FIL uses liberal amounts of lighter fluid to get the oak started. I used some as well in addition to the briquettes to get newly placed pieces going.

I'm now on the search for lump charcoal and more oak. Not nearly as easy to find in Milwaukee as down south!

Bought a chimney at Home Depot and indeed it got a pile of briqs hots very nicely!

Cool! How long has he had it?
    There are a few little things I'd change on it: thicker steel on the smoker, maybe a bit more smoking room, fitted cover included for less than $50, eh, that's it.
    Pretty incredible hardware for <$400!
    There's not much talk about this model on the BBQ/Smoking forums. For sure most hardcore guys either make their own or buy one of the super-duper TX models, but based on my first try smoking with it this is one fine machine.

7. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike

I use the Cowboy Hardwood in a chimney and once that is nice and hot we use nothing but Hickory to cook with. We generally keep the temps around 250 and it all comes out perfect!

8. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #33 Nurburgringer, May 9, 2011
    Good deal.
    Yesterday I started up the smoker at 6:45AM with lump charcoal, added hickory and oak and the meat at 7AM. Put a wet Korean style BBQ marinade on the spare ribs and a sweet/spicy southern dry rub on the picnic (shoulder) overnight. Added the tray of beans a few hours in.
    This time I ran a hotter fire, keeping the smoker temp between ~210-250F for 5.5 hours. Added fuel every 45 mins or so. After 2.5 hours mopped the meat every hour with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and Jim Beam.
    Ribs were up there with my FIL's i.e. top notch. The picnic was REALLY good, maybe not quite as moist as the first one (~2 hours less smoke time) but still very yummy. As the pork rested grilled up a batch of chicken legs/thighs/wings with a yakitori sauce over charcoal, always a crowd pleaser.
    Next time I'll do more than 2 lbs of ribs. They went in a flash!
    cheers

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #34 Nurburgringer, May 9, 2011
  10. ruxp

ruxp Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2009
    best char grill around is the weber pro-touch performer.. starts with propane, cooks on charcoal. my wife got me one last year, it's awesome.

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    #36 vincent355, May 15, 2011
  12. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Hey , thats pretty good! I have also seen old refrigerators used, you can lay the meat right on the racks.

13. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Some of the best ribs I ever had came off a converted Coke chest cooler. Of course, that was many years ago.

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #39 Nurburgringer, May 24, 2011
    Nicely done! Did you buy/find plans or design it yourself?

I did a little modding to the Smoke Hollow last weekend: replaced the chromed steel handles with 1" diameter oak. The steel didn't get hot or anything, I just couldn't resist while browsing the wood stock in Home Depot. Cost less than $10 to do all 6 handles, including a little can of stain.

Also had to replace the main gas line going from the tank to the searing station. Partly my fault, it got stressed while I struggled to secure the gas tank and the plastic female part cracked. One of the few less-than-well exectured things about the Smoke Hollow is the fiddly, wimpy gas tank support and hanger.
    Next weekend I'll be smoking ~5lbs of ribs for a Memorial Day party, getting psyched!

BTW found this informative page discussing the relative merits of lump charcoal and briquettes:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/charcoal_b_858606.html

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I use a cheap Brinkmann barrel smoker with an electric heating element. I usually soak the wood chunks in water for 3-4 hours prior to starting the smoker, and fill the water reservoir to about 1" below the rim, add a bottle of beer if you want that flavor. The smoker is a nice little unit that is good for cooking one large pork butt or two briskets at a time. I have not had success smoking ribs, so I usually bake them covered at around 375 for 2-3 hours, and then just finish them on the gas grill to crisp them up (same deal with chicken wings). Today I am smoking a nice brisket, started it around 8AM, and should be taking it off the smoke at around 3, then into the overn to finish the connective tissue breakdown just in time to eat by around 6:30 or so. It has been about a year since I made brisket, but when it come out right, it is my favorite!
    :)
    BT

16. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Yum.
    How many # brisket?
    I've definitely going to try one of these soon, also turkey and salmon.
    Take pics!

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It was a relatively small brisket, about 8 pounds. It didn't have enough fat, and got a little drier than I prefer on the smoker. Great flavor, but not as juicy as I had hoped. I have had much better luck smoking the pork shoulders.
    BT

18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Fat is where the flavor's at :p
    Bummer, though I'm sure you'll find a way to eat every last bit.
    How do you monitor the smoker's temp?
    If you finished it inside in a gas oven maybe that contributed to the dryness?
    Did you baste/mop it with anything periodically?
    Maybe that wouldn't have affected the outcome much if at all.
    Brisket seems like a pretty difficult cut to get just right.
    For the next couple rounds I'll stick to pork ribs, belly and shoulder until I'm comfortable maintaining the temp. Then I'll tackle beef ribs (wifey prefers to eat these naked for easier clean up :) ), then finally brisket.

19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I modified some plans, it's a pretty standard/tried and true design. Often referred to as an Ugly Drum Smoker or Upright Drum Smoker. Google those and you should find plenty of hits, there is a great BBq site that has plans for it as well thesmokering.com

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I put an oven thermometer in the smoker, and it stays right around 225 unless the wood catches fire which is pretty rare. We have an electric oven, and I always cover the meat while it is in there. I think this was just a case of too small with not enough fat in the brisket. I will defintiely eat it all though, and try again!
    BT

21. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When the brisket hits 145-150, you may want to wrap it in foil, then towels. Place in a cooler for a couple of hours. Keeps it very moist and continues the tissue breakdown.

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Thanks for that tip! I have always read that brisket should go to around 185-190 before the tissues start to soften and break down. How long to hold it at 145-150ish?
    BT

23. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    At least two to four hours. If you want it well done, take it off at 160 and wrap.

24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #49 Nurburgringer, May 31, 2011
    Memorial day BBQ with 15 co-workers (2 Navy (ret), 6 Japanese). 2 full slabs (8 lbs worth, lung skin and dangly bits removed) with night-before Memphis dust (dk+lt sugar, sweet paprika, salt, ginger, onion, garlic, cayenne, pepper etc), smoked 5 hrs @ ~225 were ToPS.
    Best I've ever made. Divine.
    Belly and country style ribs (so cheap) were a bit crusty but very yummy.
    Tray of beans/drip pan smoked along with, underneath, also perfecto.
    Will try a homemade baffle in the smoke chamber to equalize left (-50F) and right sides. A HOT day and bright sun reduced fuel usage.
    Equal parts briquettes, lump, mesquite, oak and hickory a fantastic mix. Next time I'll make 20lbs of ribs.

prep, fire tending and party pics here:
    http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x155/kedelbach/MKE%20home/2011%20May/Memorial%20Day%20BBQ/

25. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #50 Nurburgringer, May 31, 2011