Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Dayum, dude, how did you manage to nurse that bottle for 12 + hours? :)

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Reminds me of that joke. "I like to cook with wine. ... And sometimes I put it into the food, too!"

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    :)

That bottle had a few siblings, but at 750 ml each and 11% ABV, I had to switch over to iced tea way before the butt was done.

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" | Amazing Ribs

After reading this website I have decided my future setup will be a gas operated smoking vault and a Primo Oval XL 400. The gas operated smoker is the best compromise of taste and fire-and-forget ease of use. My modifications will be ports for multiple meat thermometers and a water tap to easily refill the pan. I will order all the accessories for both devices.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Fellow F-chatters…Has anyone made Peking Duck @ home in their smoker/grill set-up? I love PD & think it would be cool to try @ home, but most web pages I've looked make it seem like a major hassle.

I've done duck over charcoal on a rotisserie for Xmas some years back, which I & dog thought rocked; wife & mother-in-law disagreed. Any suggestions for at-home Peking Duck? (Apart from ordering take-out.)

Thanks, in advance…T

6. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Tom - I'd be curious as well how to do a "proper" peking duck on a grill/smoker, but the only full bird I've done came out with beautifully browned but fairly chewy skin:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141630084-post264.html

It must have been at least 30 years ago that I saw it but clearly remember an episode of the Frugal Gourmet where Jeff Smith did one and used a bicycle pump to separate the skin from the meat!
    You'd definitely need a big catch-pan to hold all the fat.
    Here's a pretty detailed write-up.
    The Food Lab: How to Make Peking Duck at Home (From Scratch!) | Serious Eats

Definitely worthy of a dedicated thread if/when you go ahead!

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow. Can't believe I missed that URL! Kenji Lopez-Alt writes an awesome food blog. Their guide to making Neapolitan pizza was my Bible after I got my Lodge CI pizza stone. Will definitely bookmark this!

8. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Weber Smokey Mountain, as others have mentioned, is about the best there is. BGE is also great, but not worth the extra price and weight IMHO.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Travis...I agree! Although I will say that the BGE with the platesetter to deflect the direct heat, is my go-to for grilling chicken without drying it out...T

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #585 joker57676, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Glad to see this thread alive and kicking again. This is just about to go on the smoker. High heat, low on the smoke....it's going to be unreal good.

See post 347 for the last one I did.

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #586 joker57676, Aug 9, 2014
  12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    We're gonna require some updates on that bad boy!

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    All of it looking good mark. Like you said, glad the threads back. I was getting lonely keeping it alive. :p

Y'all having friends over because that's a lot of food.

14. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #589 joker57676, Aug 9, 2014

Nope! Just me and the dogs! :)

Jen's babysitting for a couple of friends so they could have their first weekend alone since having their kid how many ever months ago.

2.5 hours at about 315-ish degrees. 5lb roast.

DONE!

Mark

15. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #590 joker57676, Aug 9, 2014
  16. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #591 joker57676, Aug 9, 2014
  17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Nailed it!

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mark...Looks perfect. Is that a bone-in rib roast? You use lump or briquettes?...T

19. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Unfortunately it was not bone-in. Costco had no bone-in roast. I was really surprised and disappointed, but didn't want to drive anywhere else. Not even their prime rib roasts were bone-in. I almost scrapped the whole plan, but decided to just use a boneless roast. Bone-in is certainly better, but this was pretty damn good nonetheless.

I used Kingsford "competition" briquettes. Honestly I don't know the difference between regular or competition briquettes, that's just what was on sale today.

Mark

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Mark - that looks pretty good :)
    Did you monitor the internal temp or go purely by time?
    Given some crusty fresh rolls & provalone I would so make a sliced beef sandwich & aus jus for dipping out of that...
    How's the summer going up there? Hopefully having a great one to make up for the ****ty winter.

Coming down from the craziness of a baby shower at our place yesterday (Dad and I escaped to the RC field/bar/movie theater for the party itself but between prepping and clean up I'm ready to say one kid, or at least one baby shower, is enough!) so I've had 3lbs of beef cheeks marinating in cheap burgundy overnight. Will braise them for ~4 hours this afternoon with lots of garlic and mirepoix and serve over jumbo shells with some nice wine. House is going to smell GREAT.

21. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I had a probe in the center of the roasts. Although, I think it was acting up. Right before I pulled it off the best, the temp was reading 110. Then it shot up to 118 in about 2 minutes. That's when I pulled it. I would have pulled it at 115. So, it was actually a couple more degrees done than I was really shooting for. Still came out great, although, I think it's times for a new thermometer.

I'm definitely making by nice sandwich with the leftovers. I saved an end piece just for that. I made a great scramble with eggs, cheddar cheese, taters, and couple of the leftover smoked sausages this morning. That was a breakfast!

The summer, for the most part, has sucked. Aside from the last couple of weeks, it's been consistently rainy and cool. Its been so wet, I've actually only watered the grass once this year, and it didn't even need that. This might be the first weekend where it hasn't rained at some point!

Mark

22. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Very nice Mark!

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Kurt...Where do you purchase beef cheeks? Is that what you use to make cabeza tacos?...T

24. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    If you have a probe thermometer, you can get a new probe for $10 from amazon. I keep a couple spares on hand usually.

25. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #600 Nurburgringer, Aug 11, 2014
    Tom - like "Miata" is the answer to just about any car question, "HEB" is the answer here.
    Do you have HEBs up there?
    I've never used cheeks for tacos but they'd be great (with the fresh made tortillas and guac from HEB of course!).
    We did braise a picnic ham from HEB for awesome carnitas tacos at our last Super Bowl party.

Beef cheeks are still reasonably priced at $3.50/lb as well (and not much fat to trim), until word gets out about how great they are...

Used a combo of these two recipes:
    Joues de Boeuf Confites (Braised Beef Cheeks) Recipe | SAVEUR
    Braised Beef Cheek (Joue de Boeuf) with Anchovy Butter | The Domestic Man
    Pat of anchovy butter at the end adds a really nice funky unctuousness to the proceedings.
    I like to make a butter&bacon fat rioux to thicken the sauce, then pour it back over the meat and veg and toss right before serving.