Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #51 Nurburgringer, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'm drowning in my own saliva.

3. Apopik

Apopik Rookie

May 2, 2011
    Rockland County
    Full Name:
    Andrew Popik
    Unless you are serious, something like a Bradley is a perfect solution. I have done pulled pork, ribs, brisket, seafood, chicken, short ribs, salmon and Filet in mine all with good results.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  5. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I looked closely at that unit a while back. Lowes was selling a similar one at the start of the season for $199. In my research, people seemed to like them, but they did rust rather quickly.

6. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #56 Nurburgringer, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    Interesting - some parts of that look to be shared with the Smoke Hollow I have.
    The grill grates (described as stainless steel?) look identical to the cast iron ones on mine, and the adjustable basket for direct cooking over coals also looks to be the same or VERY similar.

Without an offset firebox might be tough to get a low, indirect heat and smoke going though, if that interests you.

Put up some detailed photos (esp of the infrared burner) when you get it!
    I love the IR station on mine BTW. A couple minutes on each sides of a 1-1/2" thick ribeye brings it to a perfect MR with a great crust, no 'finishing' on the grill or oven needed.

7. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Smoked filet, I assume beef?! Never heard of that, was it worth the extra cost?

$244 seems like one hell of a deal for a full auto smoker
    http://www.amazon.com/Bradley-BTIS1-Original-Automatic-Smoker/dp/B000FK2DNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307398996&sr=8-1

It's nice to have a gas side, and the choice of cooking directly over fire, and a lot of housework gets done inbetween tending the firebox for 5+ hours, but I'm not gonna lie having a fully auto unit do all the work for you doesn't sound all bad :)

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I'm telling you...that 55 gallon drum is set and forget. I often do overnight cooks without a worry. Stick burners are nice but you have to tend them and watch them and cajole at times. I fill a basket up with lump, light it, get up to temperature and cook.

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #59 Nurburgringer, Jun 6, 2011
    this one you made: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140515440&postcount=36

Right you are about the maintenance required with offset fireboxes, but with practice comes a routine at least. Knowing how to dial in the intake and low smoke-chamber shutters as well as the chimney for the fuel and smoke is (for now) a fun 'chore'.

How is yours insulated? It sounds remarkably low fuss!

Here's an example of why it's nice to have a LP gas side: fresh WI farmed trout braised in lemon, paprika, Gilroy garlic (brought back from a trip to Monterey last week), and S&P and OO with grilled peppers. The best way to cook when it's 80F at 8PM in Milwaukee!

also a pic of a righteous ribeye fired on the IR searing station a few nights ago
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #60 Nurburgringer, Jun 7, 2011
    props to OLP/Smoke Hollow's after-sales service.
    One of the gas burner valves was defective; wobbly, hard to ignite and wouldn't adjust the heat very well.
    Emailed OLP about a week ago, just got a replacement today.

11. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #61 powerpig, Jun 7, 2011
    In my quest for the perfect smoker, I just purchased the Weber Smoky Mountain. I've been coveting one of these for quite a while and pulled the trigger when Amazon offered 20% off using their card. Got it shipped to the door for $220.

I now have four Traeger's, a WeberQ, Weber Genesis Gold and a Big Green Egg. I think I may have a problem! ;)

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What would make that worth buying for me if I already have a 22.5 Performer, anything?

13. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The performer is more of a grill. There are mods to smoke with it. The WSM is a deep smoker that does just that. The reviews on the WSM are over the top! I'll report back in about a week.

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

That's the one, Mr. Roboto I call it. I now have two. Built another one because once a year I cook about 60 lbs of pulled pork.

It's not insulated at all and definitely low fuss.

15. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I have a Weber and a Big Green Egg. I have to say, despite the BGE's super-duper ceramic heat retention, for pure smoking I like the Weber better.

I routinely set the Weber up at around 10PM, get the temp stabilized, put on a pork shoulder, and wake up at 7 AM to find the meat just about finished and the charcoal just about gone. A quick poke and a few more coals and I'm good to finish up, and the meat tastes out of this world.

The BGE is very, very difficult to keep at 225 degrees- it's so efficient that a low temp means you're just barely burning any fuel and all the vents are cracked open just a sliver. The side effect is that the smoke flavor doesn't permeate the meat very well, because you use so little charcoal during a cook- sort of like slow roasting in the oven.

Also, you can cook more stuff at once in the Weber than you can in the BGE.

Anyone else's experiences similar?

Gio P

16. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I plan on using hardwood chunk in the WSM, the same I use in the BGE. What do you use in the WSM?

17. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I use Kingsford in the WSM. More ash/waste, but very highly recommended by veteran WSM guys and seems to provide a more consistent, even heat source.

18. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Doing the first smoke on the WSM as I type this. Using Kingsford Hickory Charcoal. Seems a bit harder to control the temp on the WSM as compared to the Egg.

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The ceramic is the whole difference.... Not unexpected.

20. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yea, it took a bit of fiddling, but I have a steady temp now. Trying a new mop sauce I concocted. Told the wife she may want to have some backup food available.

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The thing with my Weber is the temp only stays steady for so long before I have to chimney up and repeat the process...

backup food = another six pack? :D:D

22. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    How did you guess? ;) The ribs came out great! Took about five hours for two medium size racks. My new mopping sauce really helped. May have to ad it to the powerpig web store when it's up and going. Gonna do a pork tenderloin on it today.

23. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Come on, share the recipe for that sauce! We won't tell anyone :)
    I mopped the 2nd batch of ribs with a pre-boiled mix of vinegar, soy sauce, jim beam and black pepper and they came out really great, but didn't touch the third batch and they came out even better. Not convinced a mop adds that much flavor or moisture, but maybe I'm doin it wrong.

24. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I mixed Worcestershire Sauce, Hot Pepper Paste, Apple Cider Vinegar and Granulated Honey to make the mop. Good stuff!

25. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    pork butt and ribs on the uds tomorrow!