Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I throw around 3 to 4 wood chunks in both the BGE and WSM. Both smoke very well.

2. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  3. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #78 Nurburgringer, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the pre-installed dial thermometer in my smoker seemed to be fairly accurate compared to the two cheapo, remote digitals (which started acting up after the third use) but you can never have too many gauges right?

Just got this baby off Ebay for $20. Will put it right in the middle where the stock one is now and move that one to the cold side of the smokebox.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    To get a truly accurate temp, you need a grate thermometer, which will give actual cooking temp and a thermapen for the meat.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #80 darth550, Jun 20, 2011
  6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    That's cool! People do all kinds of things with UDS's...seen them set up with trailer hitches...paint jobs that you wouldn't believe.

Just this weekend I did a 6'b pork butt and a rack of ribs, checked on it twice. Pulled pork tacos are delicious!

7. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    What do you mean by a "grate" thermometer?
    Do you check the meat temp of everything you smoke?
    I haven't bothered so far, figuring after several hours the meat's gonna be whatever temp the air around it is like sous viding.
    If I'm roasting a piece of beef on the other hand, I'll use a digital thermo with an alarm at 125-130, which will end up ~140 after resting.

8. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's basically a flat oven thermometer. Some people use an infrared one. The temp on your grate is much different than your dome temp. And yes, I use a thermometer on everything I cook except ribs. I do the "bend" method with them.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I have a thermometer on each one of my grates and a probe from my electronic thermometer that I can read from the outside. No need to peek at all, but when I do I check the grate temps to double check.

The grate thermometers I use are just plain oven thermometers you can find at any place that sells kitchen stuff. My electronic is a maverick et73. Of course everyone also needs a thermapen, i have a red one, it's the fastest! :)

10. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Been hanging at BBQ Brethern?

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Nope, but I used to spend some time on the smoke ring. It's fun watching all the cookers being built. Some resourceful people out there in the world.

12. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #87 Nurburgringer, Jul 10, 2011
    Doing 2 racks of ribs, hocks and chicken wings (put in 2.5 hours after the ribs). Forgot that I had some fresh polish sausage in the freezer, these would have been great. Next time.
    Last night rubbed the ribs and chicken with my standard Memphis dust: br and cane sugar, S&P, paprika, garlic and onion powder and a bit of cayenne (and some other secret ingredients ;))

This morning installed a Tel-Tru 300F thermometer for redundancy and better accuracy. Also experimented with a temporary baffle made from folded aluminum foil to better equalize the left/right temps. Didn't seem to do much, still almost a 50F difference. Next time will extend it a bit more and make a new grate for the coals/wood to get them some more airflow. Having a tough time maintaining 250F on the hot side, today's quite hot out but little breeze to feed the fire.
    Just mopped the ribs with a mix of water, A.C. vinegar, dijon, Jim Beam and spices. The little strip of rib meat I trim off as a mid-way tester was super yummy, another hour till the main event is ready....

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've got a rack of spares on now as well..... :)

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #89 Nurburgringer, Jul 16, 2011
    Just finished the leftover ribs from last weekend, same or better than fresh smoked.
    Heated in micro for 1 minute in tuperware with a splash of water on the bottom.
    Here they are right after smoking and a short rest (chicken disappeared immediately and hocks will go in beans this week). 5.5 hours @200-250F with charcoal and periodically hickory, oak and mesquite did the trick. Used vacu-packed hormel ribs this time instead of fresh from the Asian-butcher. Hormel's pigs are a little fattier, with similar awesome meat flavor and texture. Kind of like wet vs. dry aged beef: meat quality still paramount but slightly different, equally tasty results.

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Those look damn good! :)

16. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    How's the grill holding up? You still like it?

17. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #92 Nurburgringer, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks!
    With the last 2 batches I finished the ribs with a light glaze of Stub's BBQ sauce to sweeten up the surface and give them a sheen.
    Not seeing the meat 'pull back' from the ends of the rib bones like I see on TV but the meat is really juicy and comes away from the bone easily so not too concerned about that.

The Smoke Hollow is holding up quite well, thanks.
    I haven't moved it around much but nothing loose or broken yet.
    Replaced the one gas burner valve with the replacement sent by the manuf. and now all is well on that side.
    The motorcycle cover I put on every night is pretty greasy on the backside because I forgot to clean out the grease tray, but no visible rust yet (been a dry summer so far though).
    Still a leak or two on the smoker side that I'd like to seal up a bit but otherwise still more than happy with this unit for <$400.

18. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I just put a brisket on my Traeger grill. It burns flavored wood pellets ( hickory,oak,pecan...). Very easy to use. Whatever you are smoking tends to pick up the flavors.
    Highly recommend

19. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I agree. I have three Traegers...The Pig, a 70 and a 75. The smoke flavor isn't overwhelming on them and they produce good Q'.

I will say however, that I'm forming a fast love affair with my Weber Smokey Mountain.

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #95 Nurburgringer, Sep 5, 2011
    Celebrating Labor Day with one of the more laborious of meals to prepare: old school smoked meat.

menu:
    3 full, gorgeous racks of pork ribs from the Asian butcher w/ standard Memphis rub
    8 big, beautiful beef short ribs (local organic) w/ TX rub (fresh cracked blk pepper, salt (reg, habenero, Lawrys), Gilroy garlic pwd, onion pwd, mixed herbs. status: just tried a bit (11:15, 150 int temp) - holy crap!!!! naturally sweet and blk peppery at first, finishing with a slow burn. Gonna be mind blowing.
    2 lbs pork belly medallions w/ Chinese BBQ rub (sugar, red color). Why not, $2/lb and always a crowd pleaser.

Beans (in a pan under the meat in the smoker), cornbread, beer, garden veggies, cherry pie.

Last night trimmed and rubbed the meat hehe, fired up the smoker this morning at 7AM. Chilly ~55F so put a makeshift blanket over her until the sun came over the trees at around 9.
    Put the pork ribs on at 7:30, beef and belly at 9.
    Maintaining 225F in the middle of the chamber with hourly loads of Kingsford, mesquite chunks and fresh white oak.
    Everything should be perfect at ~2PM when the guests arrive.
    Happy Labor Day all!

21. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #96 powerpig, Sep 5, 2011
  22. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looks good. Haven't had goat smoked, but it's awesome in tomales. Smoked some country styles today. Have a old propane tank trailer set up. Have to post some pics tomorrow, not pretty, but cools awesome. Some great food ideas here.

23. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I cheated a bit and went with a bradley smoker. I dont smoke a ton of meat very often, but I do like that I can let this run, unattended for about 10 hours and it will keep the same exact temperature the whole time. I can run any number of woods, combinations of multiple woods to mix flavors, smoke hot or smoke with no heat at all. I Love the thing!
    My 2 cents anyway.
    nd

24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #99 Nurburgringer, Sep 6, 2011
    How do you smoke with no heat, and what do you smoke in this way? I've heard of 'cold smoking' but never saw how it was done.

Awesome!
    I love Cabrito, indian curried goat or southern stewed goat but never had it smoked. Was the 'white' meat still juicy? How'd you prep it?

Results of yesterday's smoke: belly had good flavor but should have waited another hour to put on (~4 hours would have been plenty), the pork ribs were really good all around (glazed with Stub's BBQ and beer then a quick grill to finish), and the beef ribs were out of this world delicious. My TX wife was the only other one yesterday who'd had smoked beef ribs, but the word is now getting around Milwaukee...

25. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Man that is some good looking BBQ