Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #101 Nurburgringer, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The market had some lovely fresh lake trout, so had to grab a couple 1-pounders to go on the smoker along with:
    - giant 5lb Hormel rib rack, painted with dijon mustard and then liberally coated with Famous Dave's rib rub last night
    - 3.5 lb pork shoulder, oiled and dusted with Chinese BBQ spices (i.e. sugar and red coloring) fortified with garlic, onion and ginger powder
    - 2 lbs country style ribs, simply dusted with Famous Dave's + a good bit of cayenne.

~50F ambient when I fired up the first batch of Kingsford regular and hickory briquettes and some chunk hickory at 8AM. Put the ribs and shoulder on first, the CS ribs an hour later, and will add the trout in another ~1.5 hours.
    They spent the night in the fridge coated with kosher salt, pepper and a little sugar ala Alton Brown's Good Eats instructions. Rinsed off this morning and now letting them sit outside to dry off, while keeping a close eye out for hungry birds (especially the big hawk that's been cruising around lately).

The foil baffle I've been using for the past 3 sessions under the rack, to move more smoke to the left side of the chamber, seems to be working well. L/R temp difference is only around 30-40F, so I still put the thicker pieces on the right side but it's acceptable.
    I'm still thrilled with the Smoke Hollow. Not very thick metal, nor is it airtight (even if I don't run the temp leads under the lid) so it's a fuel hog but the results are more than worth it.

Watching the F1 race and raking leaves in between refueling every hour or so. Smells great!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I love that you always go all in every time you use that. Looking good as usual. Last session of the year? Guess I'm spoiled down here. Nows when we really start to fire things up.

3. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #103 Nurburgringer, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks! If I'm getting up early on a Sunday, spending 1/2 the day tending a fire that's burning ~$6 worth of fuel then I'm going big.

Each time I include at least one new thing, although pork ribs are always there even if I monkey around a bit with the rub.

Just put the trout inside (4 hours after the ribs, est 2 more hours till everything is done) on a bent chunk of rack to keep their butterflied insides facing down. That's one good thing about a leaky smoker, you can use the various temp zones to your advantage: thick end of the ribs & the shoulder in the 'hot' section on the top rack next to the firebox (~200-240F), CS ribs/belly/thinner cuts on the top rack, away from the FB (~160-200F) and fish or beans on the adjustable-height rack meant for direct charcoal grilling (~140-180F).

3 hours in we sampled the strip of meat on the inside of the ribs I cut off for a mid-day snack/QC sample.
    OMG. We LOVE the tang added by the mustard painted on prior to the rub. I will be adding this step to future racks...

In about 30 minutes I'll feed the fire and mop the ribs with some water/vinegar/pepper baste. My god everything is looking and smelling good.... the wife keeps sniffing my smokey clothes and going mmmmmmmmmmmmm :p

oh yeah - I'll probably get in another session or two before the real cold hits - Milwaukee has cold, wet, cloudy, late starting springs but quite pleasant falls due to the big heat-sink that is Lake Michigan. This summer and fall have been incredible so far, best of the 4 we've been here. The real snow shouldn't start until early to mid dec. I may just have to fashion a better insulating blanket to keep the smoker going (without burning through 10#+ of charcoal) late in the year.

4. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Cool. I understand that. I usually throw something on for later in the week or lunches. And you can't beat the country styles. Winn Dixie always has them buy one get one, so they are always in the freezer. I'm lucky to have a good friend in the tree trimming business, so I never lack for good oak. Never smoked trout, but we do king fish, mullet, even bass. And smoked crab or shrimp dip is awesome.

5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #105 Nurburgringer, Oct 16, 2011
    Nice, you certainly have a better selection of seafood than I! There is some decent stuff coming out of the Lake Michigan and local waters - salmon, perch, bluegill, smelts and more.

Smoked crab is divine. One of my top 5 all time favorite dishes is the corn-husk smoked crab claw (about a dozen of em already cracked, just scrape the big chunks of meat off between your teeth) w/ butter sauce app at Churrasco's in Houston. Have to do that someday, the Asian mart always has good looking live blue crabs.

What's your method (oak? temp? how long?) for smoking fish?

Today all 8 of us ate our fill and there's some nice leftovers for the week.
    The country styles ($2.49/lb, boneless, such a deal) and shoulder were awesome, but the trout and ribs stole the show.
    The temp at fish-level hovered between 150-160F; 2 hours was the perfect amount of time.
    I'd like to try smoking eel or salmon next time, have to see what kind of product is available.

I'm jealous you have a ready supply of oak (white, not red I assume). It's not that common up here, but a buddy with property up north cut one down this summer and hooked me up with a bunch.

last 2 pics: 4 hours in - right after putting the trouts on the rack under the CS ribs - and about 2 hours later on the cutting board.

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looks awesome as always! Not many red or white oaks down here. So usually water or live. Dryed until the bark falls off usually. Also have the secret stash of hickory and orange wood. Fish depends. The bass amd mullet are usually thin fillets on the skin, so maybe 1 1/2-2 hrs tops around 225-250. Like it really flaky. Usually coated with some lemon pepper and moistened with lemon juice/ water if needed. The kingfish usually slower and lower temps. Filets are usually around 1 1/2 thick at least. I like it with some blackening mix amd cayenne pepper. Around 200 degrees. My smoker doesn't like to cook much lower without constant attention. The crab claws wrapped sounds delicious.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    #108 Nativetroy, Oct 17, 2011
    While not as sophisticated as yours, Kurt, here my cooker. Have about $150 in it, works well for how we cook. Still a work in preogress though.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I notice you sneak in The Cutest Dog In The World into the 2nd pic....

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #110 Nurburgringer, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    Good stuff with the fish - thanks for the details I'm definitely going to be smoking more.
    The oak I got is still a bit 'green'; I used a small, sharp axe to chop off most of the bark but it didn't want to 'fall off' easily.

I'm a bit embarrassed by how fancy mine looks.... but it works well for me which is what's important. My FIL turns out the best BBQ I've ever had on a smoker made from discarded oil pipe he welded up.
    Yours looks like it'll hold quite a bit of tasty Q. Is the thermometer on the right side the only one you use?

Dino loves to be outside, and was so curious about what I was up to with fire and big slabs of meat all day :)
    Had to give him his first taste of Q last night - his eyes got HUGE and he tried to copy the older dog's begging pose: sitting upright on his haunches with front paws held out. They're good beggars though, no barking just sitting there patiently just looking sad and hungry LOL

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I try to balance them. The bottom rack is even with the bottom of the lid. Top rack 10" above that. The stack goes down to the bottom rack. Have a baffle at the fire box, with a large hole below the bottom rack and a smaller one even with the top. Want a temp sensor at the fire and one on top. Plus a shelf. With the baffle on top, putting chicken quarters on the top cooks the skin like it was fried while insides smokey and juicy. Easily cook for 30 people if you organize.

12. Roadog

Roadog Karting

Nov 1, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    Shannon
    You guys have some good looking Q.

I use a modified vertical brinkman pit. I do have to babysit it, but it works well. My next one will be of higher quality.

For my restaurant, I have my eye on a J&R Oyler.

13. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Whoa! http://www.jrmanufacturing.com/oyler-detail.html

What's the name/local of your restaurant?
    How are you doing BBQ there now, or are you looking to expand the menu?

Had some very tasty BBQ ribs here at my folks in NJ after a 15 hour drive Wed night.
    Dad picked them up from the Amish market the day before; zapped in the microwave for ~45 seconds, meat was falling off the bones. Not smoky at all just juicy and great pork flavor.
    Think I'll have to fire up the smoker back home in Milwaukee one last time before the deep freeze hits....

14. Roadog

Roadog Karting

Nov 1, 2011
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    Shannon
    Oh, It's not open yet, we're still in the process of doing renovations. We're looking at Jan/2012 grand opening. We did have dry run for our families on Thanksgiving.

It called "Grill At Fore", we're literally right on the golf course in Thorndale, Pa, 45 minute ride west of Philadelphia(on your way to Jersey). Our menu will be American dishes, but with the flavors of real pit bbq and cajun cookin'.

So the next time you come out this way, we'll be up and running!

15. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Awesome!
    I can't help but think of that Curb Your Enthusiasm with the cursing chef on Opening Night"
    "F YOU, YOU CARWASH C!!!!" :)

Heh, before Milwaukee my wife and I lived in West Chester PA and almost bought a house in Exton (thank god they flat turned down our offer, got transferred to WI a few months later!)

Sincere best wishes with the place - opening a restaurant is something of a dream of mine, but having worked in a few many years ago I know enough to know that I have no idea what's all involved in this....
    I'll certainly look forward to stopping by.
    Cheers!
    Kurt

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #116 BT, Dec 13, 2011
    Made a smoked pork butt last night in the $65 smoker...
    The rub was pretty mild using garlic powder, light brown sugar, sea salt, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
    7 hours in the smoker at approximately 225 degrees, added wood every 2 hours or so.
    2:15 in the oven covered at 350 degrees, and it was perfect! Just falling apart, super moist, and full of pork flavor. You could taste the spices in the bark, but it didn't overpower the basic meat flavor. Placed on a potato roll, with a little bit of Sonny's sweet sauce, it was awesome!
    So far, this was our best. It was better than any barbeque restaurant we have tried, except maybe Hawg Wild in north Georgia, which was similar in quality and taste.
    :)
    BT

17. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #118 Nurburgringer, Dec 19, 2011
    Got a PM asking how the Smoke Hollow is holding up, so here's the latest: 1.3lb bone-in ribeye from the supermarket done on the IR station tonight.
    Prepped a few hours earlier by brushing liberally with olive oil, kosher salt and coarse blk pepper, heated up the grill's grate for about 10 minutes then seared about 5 minutes total per side. Let it rest in foil for ~10 minutes while my gorgeous wife finished the horseradish sauce, sauteed spinach, onion rings (Oreda 'gourmet' frozen done in the convection toaster oven) and reheated pinto beans w/ andouille she made in the slow-cooker a few days ago.
    Steak could have been a TAD bit less done for me, but it was absolutely delicious. Washed it all down with a nice, cheap merlot from a box, then a shot of Jaegermeister for desert :)
    As long as we can make a meal like this at home for less than $20 (for both) I can't ever see ourselves paying $25++ at a steakhouse.
    bon appetit!

19. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #119 Nurburgringer, Dec 19, 2011
  20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #120 darth550, Jan 4, 2012
  21. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Nice! Try not to burn them this time! ')

22. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The wife got me the Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5in smoker for Christmaas. I am in love with it. Controlling temp could not be any easier and the BBQ taste awesome. It's my new best friend.

Mark

23. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Cool!

24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Sweet. Any seasoning?
    When new I sprayed mine down with Pam Grilling (cottonseed oil) and ran her up to ~500. Nothing has stuck since.

Well well well, another backyard BBQ is born in Beer City. Congrats!
    What'd you cook up?

I know a guy at WE Energies downtown who competes in various BBQ competitions. He lost an arm as a kid, so his team's name is "Smoky and the one-armed Bandit". I think his next thing is in Fon du lac this spring, should take the 308 up there and check it out. I'd invite you to come along, but if the wife ever found out I went to a BBQ event without her, in the Ferrari, let's just say being caught with another woman would be forgiven sooner....

25. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #125 darth550, Jan 4, 2012