Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Charcoal grill/smoker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Apr 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    NY Strips right? They look great!
    Choice?
    Supermarket or butcher?

But..... butterflied filets???????
    must. resist. commenting.....

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Costco Prime. ;):)

I know, I know............ Her bearing my child has made that shortcoming seem tolerable.....

3. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    whoa, high roller!
    Do you know if grass or grain fed? I don't have a taste preference either way, and have heard about the very good meat at Cosco, just curious where they get their beef.
    You're a commendably tolerant and supportive husband :)
    But you have indoctrinated (or will) the child with MR or even R meat, right?

4. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    E went for the New York. ;):)

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I regularly get the prime sirloin there but figured I'd go for the good strip to christen the new grill....

No clue what/where they were fed but they tasted like it was good whatever it was....

They also have prime ribeyes and tri tip, and filets only occasionally.

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Nice grill marks!

very precise turning

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Lined them up through the beer cans...... :D

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface

So far I've done spare ribs, country style ribs, pork loin, chicken wings, and dog biscuits (yes, dog biscuits). When I made the wings, the dogs were literally sitting outside staring at the smoker with their noses going crazy refusing to come inside so I threw a couple of handfuls of biscuits on one of the racks after I took the wings off. I left them in the smoker for about 20-30 minutes until they heated through and smelled like smokey meat. The dogs were in heaven for the next week. I think I'm going to do a whole box next time I break it out.

Costco really does have good meat with a lot of flavor. Considerably better than any local grocery store I've been to. However, since moving here, I haven't found anything as good as the steaks I get from Maplewood Meats outside of Green Bay (http://maplewoodmeats.com/). All their cured meats, sausages, brats, etc. are all superb as well.

Mark

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    That's a great idea with the dog biscuits! We always give our guys a small bite of 'que, it's one of their most favorite treats. Will be doing the biscuit thing for sure.

What are you using for wood?

I'm still looking for "my" local butcher. Everyone loves Ray's on Loomis, I wasn't impressed. My first test for any butcher: do you have hanger steak? 9/10 (including the guy at Ray's) say "Hanger steak? Do you mean flank steak?". Fail.
    Sendiks sometimes carries it, but they've been jacking up the price over the past year.
    Rupena's on 76th and Beloit will get it if you call ahead.
    I'm afraid to step foot in a Costco. Would surely buy WAY too much of everything...
    For pork I'm totally happy with the meat counter in Pacific Produce, the incredible Asian supermarket on 27th. Fantastic (and cheap) ribs, belly, shoulder etc. And stomach, liver, snouts and feet if you're into that kind of thing :)

10. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    Costco meats, unless specifically noted, are grain fed and commercially bred. And while their quality is decent, it's nothing compared to a truly well-raised, grass-fed (perhaps grain-finished) piece of meat. The flavor is quite different and, once you start eating it, it's difficult to truly enjoy commercial meat again.

I source my meats from local farms who follow great raising practices.

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Including the prime?

While I'm certain a specialized ranch would sell better meats, without going through too much trouble, the prime meats there are far > than the supermarket stuff when grilling on the fly.

The prime sirloin usually comes out better than the store bought filets.

12. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    That's important to me too.
    The beef ribs back in this post were from a local farm. Totally grass fed and probably the tasting beef I've ever eaten. Pricy, but I'm willing to pay more (and eat beef less often) for high quality and non-feedlot/massive slaughterhouse product. Just finished reading "Fast Food Nation", there's an eye opening chapter on the couple massive meat producers that totally dominate the industry.
    I have to check out some of the places listed here:
    http://eatwild.com/products/wisconsin.html

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Lawry's sells whole rib roasts, ready to cook at home.....

Just sayin' :D:D:D:D

14. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #139 joker57676, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    The Weber is a charcoal smoker so it only needs fist sized wood chunks. I have been using either apple or mesquite or a combo of the two. I'm just playing around with tastes right now. I purchased both woods from Home Depot in 5lb bags.

I have also been looking for a good butcher around the south side. Ray's seems to be the place I am referred to as well so I guess the hunt continues. I have contemplated ordering a half cow from the butched I mentioned above and freezing a ton of meat. I'll have to check out Pacific Produce though, sounds good.

Mark

Edit: I also did a brisket I got from Costco for one of the Packer games when we had people over. It was an 11hr smoke; started it at 4am and it came out fork tender. The whole party was quite impressed and eat damn near every ounce. It should have been enough to feed twice as many people....fatasses.

15. jace57

jace57 Rookie

Jan 6, 2012
    How is the Smoke Hollow holding up for you ? I've been rolling it over getting one. Went out and looked at one at my local gander mtn. Trying to get some feedback. most complaints Im finding are the LP bracket is flimsy, smoker box leaky, and it scratches and rusts easy. Seems alot of people are fixing the leaks by pulling the rubber lid stoppers and sealing the firebox / charcoal box seam. Have you run into any of these problems ?

Thanks alot for the help.

16. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Jace - still more than satisfied with the SH.
    The LP gas tank support is the only really wimpy thing I've found on the whole thing. Have a couple bricks under the tank to help support it until I figure out a permanent way to beef up the support.
    I've found no rust yet, and no wobbles or broken hardware (it doesn't get moved much).
    The twist-click ignition on the 3 gas grill burners usually take 2-4 tries to light the fires, while the single button on the IR searing station usually lights on the first push.
    For <$400 I still think nothing can touch the SH for versatility, thoughtful design, construction and looks.

Make sure you're looking at the bigger version at Gander. One store only had the small one (see my first post), I had to driver ~1.5hr to find a Gander with both.

17. jace57

jace57 Rookie

Jan 6, 2012
    Thanks for the input Kurt.
    I pulled the trigger on it yesterday. Gander mtn. even price matched the sams club price which was awesome. Went together like a dream yesterday fit and finish was great. I didn't get a chance to fire it up and season it yet. I do see some mods I would like to do to tighten up some of the spot weld seams on the smoker side to help make it a little more air tight, maybe JB weld the seams. Don't know if that would cause a toxin problem. Have you done anything with yours, IE seals, baffle plates, or fire bricks ?

Thanks again

18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #143 Nurburgringer, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    congrats Jace - she's a beut eh?

I didn't patch or do any additional sealing on mine, wish I had when it was brand new but I still may try to clean up the exterior seams and apply some JB or auto exhaust sealant in a few areas next spring. If you have concerns about the fumes doing it on the outside is probably the best (as cleanly as possible of course so it looks ok). But unless you do most direct-charcoal cooking than smoking, temps shouldn't be high enough to ignite the sealant I would guess.

I've experimented with various baffles made out of aluminum foil, a roughly triangular sheet (folded for strength) starting at the firebox window extending a bit more than 1/2 way to the left. Seemed to help equalize left/right tempts somewhat, still ~40F difference so take this into account (put thicker cuts that can take higher temp on the right side).
    The problem is if you want to adjust the charcoal rack height you'll have to make any sheet metal baffles easily removable.

Haven't messed around yet with bricks, but still thinking about some kind of insulating blanket (welding blanket?) to drape over the smoker section to cut down on fuel usage.

The thin $20 motorcycle cover from Target I original bought fit ok but after ~7 months started to rip, so in Oct I splurged on this cover (was on sale for $50 I believe):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V7R6DA/ref=oh_o03_s00_i01_details

This is a GREAT cover - quite thick, fits very nicely with velcro tabs on the ends, stayed on so far through some pretty harsh wind storms. I keep a cheap little plastic bucket upside-down over the somewhat-sharp smoke stack so it wouldn't wear through the cover like the old one.
    When using just the far-left searing station or the gas grill section I don't bother taking the cover off completely, just roll it back to the right so it's very easy to put back once things have cooled down.
    You can see the bricks I've got under the LP tank...

Post up pics and reports after you've fired her up!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. jace57

jace57 Rookie

Jan 6, 2012
    I just stopped at one of the local Amish stove shops and bought a tube of this stove cement.

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo/stove--gasket-cement.html

good up to 2000 F and gets hard as a rock. He also has a thin lid gasket for green eggs and said I should use if i still had problems. He said between the 2 it should be pretty tight. Hope to seal it tonight, been around 30 here in Lancaster. He said to experiment with ceramic tiles on the bottom if i wanted to help dist. heat across the box evenly. I did think about the lifting tray issue, probably won't mess with it till spring when i get into using the firebox more.
    Gander had the smoke hollow cover for $49 so i picked it up.

Thanks for all the help guys.

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Did another round of NY's tonight, along with some Portuguese Linguica as a kicker....

MMMMMMMMM

21. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul

22. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    We are in the middle of moving and staying at a suites hotel with a couple of gas grills on the patio.

Like any good Q enthusiast, I went to the local grocery and picked up a couple of very large bone in chicken breasts for the weekend. Grilled them over direct heat to crisp the skin and moved them to indirect and went back to the room for a bit. When I went back to check them, the gas had run out with no backup tanks. I would guess they were about half cooked.

Anyway, I took them back to the room, put about a half cup of balsamic vinegar, a shot of spicy mustard and a shot of Sweet Baby Ray's in a saucepan and brought to a boil. I then turned it on low and added the chicken making sure to coat both sides. I covered the pot and braised the breasts for about an hour and fifteen minutes turning about every twenty minutes.

Best chicken ever! It has to be the most tender bird I've ever had! No pics, but thought I would share my accidental recipe.

23. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Whoa, that's quite a variety! Thanks for the info, give me inspiration to try some new things when the BBQ season finally rolls around.

Dude that's cool as hell. BBQing at a hotel is hardcore :)

24. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can do one better. I got fed up with the grills at the hotel and found a Weber Q on craigslist for a good price. Putting some sausage on in a bit. :)

25. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    The Pig is my hero. It would be an honor to cook with you one day.

Mark