Chassis 1C/10S Updated Information | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Chassis 1C/10S Updated Information

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jawsalfa, Jun 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting Stu. I guess that the notch for the hand crank lived on which then means that it can't really be used to date 10S.

Best

2. ivo73

ivo73 F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Mar 3, 2005
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Ivo Pucci
    Stuart,
    thank you for posting the pic.
    0150A was/is the 340 America Ghia Coupe that was delivered 1951/1952 to Tony Parravano..

regards
    Ivo

3. ivo73

ivo73 F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Mar 3, 2005
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Ivo Pucci
    i started again to read this thread..and the first part of post no.45 is interesting.
    Why Stanley Nowak was interested on the chassis?

John,does your father remember when Nowak started to be intersted on the chassis and perhaps he,Nowak, mentioned the reason why he want the chassis ?

regards
    ivo

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I will give my answer to that last question, 'though not addressed to me. Stan Nowak seemed to be on a life-mission to seek out and unravel the mysteries of the very early cars. His interest, I think, was as an author and researcher as well as a broker whose (few) clients included others who were fascinated by such stuff. While a few of us had "serial number books" that we tried to keep up-to-date, using info gleaned by Jess Pourret from the factory records and other sources, Stan went 'way beyond the rest of us when it came to the truly early cars. I wish he were around today, as I'm sure that a lot of his efforts died with him.

5. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    +1
    Nathan

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    +2. Stan was a friend. I helped him place one of his Masers in a Film. When I bought my Lola he gave me a book about Lola's and signed it. He had a deep passion and that passion lives on in 002C.

7. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    +3. According to my father, he was very persistent on wanting to buy 1C/10S approaching my dad both at Lime Rock and at our home. It was clear that he identified 1C/10S as a very early chassis which he desperately wanted. Perhaps it was partly due to Nowack's keen "interest" in the chassis that contributed to my father holding onto it all these years...

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    #358 Jeff Kennedy, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    #359 Jeff Kennedy, Jul 27, 2008
    Again, Cavallino volume 1, issue 1.

John: Would the publicagtion of this article in late 1978 have any correlation to Stan trying to acquire the car from your dad?

Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #360 dretceterini, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    When Fusi's book on Alfa Romo came out, everyone considered it to be the bible. In ther last 30+ years, so many errors have been found as to render Fusi's book of minimal worth. Such is the case with this article. The first major error is when it is said that a cycle fendered car was the first victorious Ferrari, on May 25th, 1947 (last paragraph of the first page). I praise Nowak's attempts, but like with Alfa, a lot has been learned in the last 30 years....

11. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    Jeff,
    Interesting article. It's curious that if you look at Stan's write-up for 016M, I think that he might be referring to my father's chassis in that the Motto body that he describes (from 002) is currently on 1C/10S; however, what's even more odd is that this same motto body had been affixed to this chassis for AT LEAST eight years at the time of printing. Best, John

12. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    An error on my part in the citation above...I meant "0016M" not "016M".

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    First of all - fascinating story here. I am truly enjoying it. I hold out hope, as I believe many others here do, that this car will end up being more than just "the ultimate Bitsa" as Jim mentioned early on. I can't wait till the chapter of the story when that chassis stamping is uncovered. I won't even be let down if it isn't what some assume it could be as this has been an enjoyable journey to observe and thanks to everyone for all the contributions of knowledge up to this point.

I read through the scans earlier in the evening and also noted the comments about 0016M and the Motto body. I took the liberty of searching the forum here for other mentions of that car and didn't find much. There were a few posts here from Marcel Massini in his thread on 0052M (as before the chassis number was revealed, some were speculating that it could be that car) which I will quote here.

And a follow up question and answer:

Marcel doesn't usually twist words, do a lot of speculating, or ever seem to get his facts wrong from what I have seen of his past participation here. The way I read his reply, he seems to know with some certainty the whereabouts of 0016M. Perhaps I am reading too far into his comments?

I know he's recently returned to F-Chat with a few posts here and there, though none in this thread yet. Hopefully he'll find time to comment here, either to expand on what he knows of 0016M and eliminate it from the possiblities or offer his perception on what exactly 01C/10S might be.

For now, myself and others will keep watching. :)

>8^)
    ER

14. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    John,
    Maybe he had only recently heard about your father's car at that point, and hadn't got the full story about when the body was fitted.
    Do you know when he first approached your father?
    I see that 0016M on barchetta is said to be in a museum in Buenos Aires, and seems to have stayed in Argentina all the time.
    Also do you have any photos of 1C/10S being raced by your father?

I notice that Stan refers to the first three cars as 1C, 2C, & 3C. Maybe that's where Godfrey Eaton got his information.

15. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #365 dretceterini, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  16. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Me too.

17. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    You dont think that the two first cars were built in the same time ?
    For Piacenza,two cars were available.

18. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    #368 jawsalfa, Jul 29, 2008
    What's curious here is that by the time of the printing, Stan HAD SEEN the car and had already spoken with my father about it.

As an aside, my dad dug out some old (a bit grainy) pics from the VSCCA magazine of him racing May 21st, 1981.

19. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    John,

I am suspecting that the time between putting a magazine "to bed" and getting them in the hands of the subscribers would have been about 3 months. That would have been approximately the correct time back then. How long was Stan Nowak working on the article before that? Since this was the first issue of Cavallino the gestation period of how long Stan worked on the article (and all the research specifically for the article) and the production of putting the first issue together could have been much longer. Chuck Queener may be able to shed some light onto this; I'll try contacting him for any recollections.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see if there was a correlation of Stan Nowak contacting your dad while working on the article.

Jeff

20. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    #370 jawsalfa, Jul 29, 2008
    I received these photos from my father and wanted to post them for the community to view. A Superior Court Justice served as a witness as my father applied paint stripper to the 1C/10S chassis at the location of the stamping of 002 and then (several hours later) the stripper was removed to reveal a very interesting stamping. A single "1" was revealed... nothing preceded it and nothing followed the stamp. I have included two "pre" and two "post" photos. Would anyone that has any pictures of any period stampings (hopefully with a 1) please post? Any ideas what this might mean?

Thanks to all. Best, John

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #371 dretceterini, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008

I don't think we know for certain exactly when the first two cars were built, but both were completed before the Piacenza race on May 11th, 1947. Both cars appeared, but only the barchetta raced, driven by Cortese. The cycle fendered car did not race. I believe the barchetta (Link below) was the first Ferrari and the cycle fendered car (link to photo in above post) was the second car. Nowak thought the reverse is true; the cycle fendered car was first.

[​IMG]
    By dretceterini at 2008-07-29

22. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Chuck is apparently quite busy these days but I did receive a quick response that it took 3-4 months to make the first issue of Cavallino. Chuck indicated that he would get around to checking his files for other information relating to the Nowak article.

Jeff

23. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #373 dretceterini, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  24. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    Jeff,
    Thanks for looking into this. To be clear, Stan had seen the car and knew it for YEARS prior to this article being printed (not months). Stan sold the body to Desormeau and Desormeau fitted the motto body to this chassis (circa 1970). Stan knew of the car soon after it had been purchased. It's very peculiar that he would couch the dialog around 0016M the way he has, unless, he is describing another car entirely (which to this writer seems doubtful).

25. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I am hoping to find out from Chuck if Stan had been working on compiling all the information that became an article from the earliest discussions about the creation of Cavallino or if Stan made the article quickly. This "could" be a case where as he compiled whatever notes he had, compared these with others (Dick Merritt is specifically cited as a source in the lead-in) he could have stumbled into a revelation.

Certainly this is speculating on my part but if the timelines start to coincide Stan's determined interest in your dad's car might not have been a coincidence.

Jeff