Classiche Application Stories | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Classiche Application Stories

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CornersWell, Apr 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is yours the black car Chassis No. 14415 that is listed on the RM site?

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Thanks, Doug Nye, for being brave enough to put it out there the way you did. I have a question: When the program was first getting off the ground, I understood that Jess Pourret was involved. To my mind, Jess is THE expert in this field: Ex-Pozzi and it's predecessor Franco-Britannic Motors Mgr., author, and maybe the first to be allowed unlimited access to the factory records. So the question is, is there anyone like Jess (i.e., an old-timer) involved with the program now?

3. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    After the program was announced it received the criticisim that no one at Ferrari today was around when the older cars were built. Their answer was they would consult a panel of outside experts when needed. This apparently has not happened as none of the experts that I know or know of (including, apparently, Ed Niles who knows this stuff as well as anybody out there) has been consulted.

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Marvelous hearing from Mr. Nye and Mr. Niles. Thank you, gentlemen.

All of your contributions to this discussion are very much appreciated, far beyond the respondents to the original post.

5. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    Yes Thankyou to Doug for posting, as the most important automobile historian of our times, your posts are always avidly read.

And to Randy, which owner ??
    Beacuse as I said there are now 2 cars, so.................................

Tim

6. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    +1

This is an immotive issue "either side of the fence" - whichever, it requires a radical rethink as the global apathy amongst Classiche eligible owners, isn't going to change anytime soon.

7. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Considering my social status, I'd have to pull for the underdog (the oldest car and its owner in Austria).

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    0818: One is owned by Egon Hofer of Austria. The other is owned by Fabrizio Violati of Rome who keeps his cars in the San Marino museum.

The court is Modena.
    The judge's expert is the same one who was the expert in the case of the two Maseratis which a judge ordered destroyed (not sure if it is the same judge).

I agree with Doug's view of the Classiche program. It is a cow milking operation.

9. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    +1

And if I had the money, I would get someone like Mr. Massini or Doug or another expert and get them to check it over and certify its history, I would suggest very few of the most important cars have not been checked to death at some point over the past 18 years..................................

10. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    In my case, don't you dare...

I have been asked constantly to 'verify' cars, re BRMs, Lotuses, Coopers, Jaguars, Ferraris, McLarens (that's the trouble with being keen on more than just one marque). Quite apart from the question "Well who the hell am I to do such a thing?" - I simply do NOT have the time to accept, because there are so many more interesting things to do.

Three years ago I was asked by the purchaser of a huge collection of cars how long it would take to confirm their individual histories. The only accurate response was along the lines of "How long is a piece of string?". Some cars we knew stacks about already, others were a muddle, a few complete obscurities. To unravel a history might take 10 minutes, or ten years...

And if one spent months hunting, and drew an absolute blank - which has happened - what's the client's reaction going to be when one says "Here's my bill - oh, and by the way, I found you nothing".

That's right, they're going to smell another scam, suspect we are conning them, and again it all ends in tears.

Therefore, as far as I am concerned, other than in exceptional circumstances - or for established friends - I steer clear of that kind of commission. And financially I guess it has cost me dear. But each of us can only eat one steak at a time, and generally I'm comfortable in believing I can, at least, sleep straight at night...

DCN

11. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    Mr. Nye

All very good points, and again I bow in the presence of your greatness.

"WE'RE NOT WORTHY, WE'RE NOT WORTHY"

Tim

12. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Yeah, right...v. nice thank you, and if you're a sarcastic bastard, like so many of we Brits, I would also approve.

DCN

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! It's the Internet after all...:rolleyes:

Your point is well made though, someone going around "confirming" a cars provenance had better have deep pockets for the results..the Ferrari Dealership here won't even do a PPI on a Ferrari, due to this..

I can't agree with this mania about crushing up 'split' cars though, that seems a little over the top, but reflects the big egos involved in the game, these days......

Maybe just make them add a "R" (Replacement) to the number on the roundrel, or a "T" (Test) like we do when we test the back up car....:D :D :D

14. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    #89 toto70_0, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is not the story with my car, they first had to verify everything with Ferrari before entering my car in the Auction and the car would only be sold if everything was matching. So they can deliver the car with a certification from classiche.
    The lusso is the car I entered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    The assumption that all sellers in an auction are treated equally is not true, and I think that may be the source of confusion. RM probably figured that they can afford to pay for the certification of the GTS/4. They undoubtedly have received a number of requests for such a car from willing buyers, which is why they sought 410SA out.

Just a guess.

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Beautiful car. Good luck with the sale

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I'd like to add that the colour is beautiful. I've seen this Lusso and it's not 'just' silver but has a green hue to it. Pictures don't do it justice.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    No good comes when you try to serve two masters.
    BTW I really like your column in Motorsport. As a long time reader its good to see the magazine back on form. Congrats to Mr Roebuck etal and thanks particularly to Bill Boddy.

19. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    +1

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Whatever Bill Boddy's magic pill is I want to know: talk about incredible longevity and clear mind: I wouldn't be surprised to hear he was a cub reporter at the inaugural Paris Bordeaux race:)

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    MotorSport has indeed made a nice improvement, not the least of which is Doug Nye's byline there. His participation in this forum is most welcome and a big benefit for all of us.

Jack.

22. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Proper Ferrari people"

Fascinating.

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    While I understand why you said what you said, doesn't it strike you as a little bit silly? I'm assuming that we all like to believe that we are adults here. In a more rational world, Ferrari should be more concerned about what WE think, instead of WE being concerned about what Ferrari might think about what we think. After all, we are the customer, yes?

Let's play a little game and assume that you are a PR person for GM. Wouldn't you love to have this opportunity? Here you have a built-in fan base of enthusiasts and experts that you can use to leverage yourself even higher. But, Ferrari instead insists on being arrogant and controlling.

Think about it. I'm guessing that a Ferrari will eventually become the most expensive car in the world. Wow, what a marketing coup. Your company made the most expensive car in the world. You would think, thus, that Ferrari would want to be collaborative and supportive of its old cars. Hell, I bet the top experts in world are so obsessed that they would be willing to do this for free!

Given all this, here is my question: Is this insecurity an Italian or Ferrari thing?

Dale

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    While I never met the Old Man himself, I have been regaled (as we all have, I'm sure) of his sometimes prickly demeanor. Many customers were treated poorly, ignored or even stood up by him. So, just maybe, a piece of il Commendatore lives on in SpA even today in the Classiche programme!

CW

25. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    So, if I meet an Italian girl with a great body, and later find out she is not the person I thought she was, and find out she has been "surgically enhanced", will the Italian courts crush her too???