Clean,polish,wax, Question | FerrariChat

Clean,polish,wax, Question

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by woody byrd, May 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have always done these one at a time, and finish one step completely, before moving on to the next. Has anyone ever tried doing several applications on top of each other, and clean them all at once?

2. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I aways did one at a time. But, if you want a super gloss and depth, wax your car and let dry. Put another coat on and then remove both layers of wax. Little more work, but awesome results with a high quality wax.

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 msdesignltd, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Hey Woody!!!
    what car are you workin on now?

I say skip all wax..its sooo over rated..

Just continue with 3 inch random orbital polisher first time firm sponge and extra fine polish, second time soft sponge with same polish...UNBEATABLE results..then just a high quality detail cleaner/wax spray like Gliptone

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 msdesignltd, May 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Hi Michael, You do know how to do it. It saw your pictures in your earlier post on the Testa Rossa. Amazing results. The thought just entered my mind about doing it all at once, and was curious to get other opinion. Right now I have a 2017 488 Spider and 2008 Porsche Turbo Cab, for my play cars. Life is good, it seems it is with you also. Take care.

6. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    #6 fedcoin, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    10 different people will give you 10 different answers.... ;)

For best results, whether you're polishing or waxing the paint, you should always remove the previous product before you apply another product. With waxes/sealants you should also allow for them to cure and harden first before you apply a second coat otherwise you're just smearing it all around.

Remember thicker and more is not actually better, it'll just take it longer to dry and be more difficult to wipe off. You'll still end up with the same thickness of protection regardless of how thick or thin you put it on.

Josh

8. bigblock427

bigblock427 Rookie

Sep 26, 2015
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Brent
    I agree.

9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    You have been doing it right. Putting one layer on top of another without removing the first layer would be a waste of time and product.

It's important to note that the manufacturers of LSPs that talk about layering (not all do) recommend various curing times before the application of subsequent coats. So be sure to take that into account because in many cases applying one layer right after another is a waste of time.

If you do layer consider using different products in the process. For example, my current favorite paint protection is two layers of Menzerna (or Jescar, or whatever they've rebranded themselves to this week) Power Lock Sealant topped with a couple of layers of carnauba. I usually wait a day between layers and wipe the car down with a pre-wax cleaner between coats.

10. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Thank you very much for all your comments.

11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Woody...not sure what you're using, but I've used Menzerna Power Lock and Collonite 845 (paired together) for a while now with great results.

First I strip all the old wax / sealants off the car using Dawn.

Second, clay if needed.

Third, I apply Menzerna (Jescar) Power Lock...amazing stuff.

Lastly, I apply Collonite 845...a little bit goes a long way, especially when applied on top of the Power Lock.