Countach bare metal respray | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Countach bare metal respray

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by sp1der, Mar 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    #201 sp1der, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Massive progress over the last few weeks, final shaping filler applied and blocked down, and then primer and guide coated. It seems a long time since the first paint was coming off. The car will be staying as per original in Rosso Siviglia.

The last challenge is to sort out the doors which really require the NACA ducts to be re-made as they have been badly 'bodged' in the past.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Looking great! I love this thread and all of the photos of the progress. More! More! More! Keep them coming. Sincerely Vic

3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Will keep them coming until the car is driven away from Al's! There has been an incredible amount of skilled hard work gone into this car to bring it back, whilst trying to maintain as much of the original metalwork as possible.

4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    #204 sp1der, Jan 27, 2013
    The headlamp pods are now primed, and trial fit of the front bumper plus new undertray to get the fits right. the bumper now fits really tightly to the front wings, and the tray is also brand new. Next week should be priming of the bonnet, engine cover etc.

The side panels will be re-covered to take the external speakers off. We are having leather dyed to match the current trim.

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Only just discovered this great thread! I notice Al hasn't lost his magic! :)
    Please say hi to him when you see him, I'm still very satisfied with the work he did on my 308.

Great to see the progress from the first post on. Glad this will be another classic Italian beauty saved!

Best, Peter

6. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Peter, will pass on my regards next time I see Al, hopefully it will be to collect the car, we are on the home stretch now.

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #207 godabitibi, Jan 27, 2013
    Just found that thread and absolutely love it. I have a question about the cracks that are found in the corners of the upper scoops. Are they only surface(paint) or is the aluminium craked and need to be welded?

Here is a picture of a car I'm considering.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

I have seen some others post photos of their cars and these are cracks in the body.

9. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    They are in the metal, we have put an L shaped piece in to reinforce this area.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #210 godabitibi, Jan 27, 2013
    Can you tell me if the piece was a flat L shape installed on the flat section of the panel like A or was it an angle shape piece intalled on the edge of the scoop opening like B?

BTW you will have a very nice car. Can't wait to see the finished product.

11. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Part applied like A but L shaped in the vertical not round the corner to give some extra bending stiffness to the panel. Will get a sketch knocked up.

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #212 godabitibi, Jan 27, 2013
  13. surface master

surface master Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve N. Kouracos
    Simon, I have been watching your project off and on for some time. As a surfacer/painter I know first hand on what Al has been up against. As you as his client keeping your project funded to move forward sometime is hard as well. Congratulations! to everyone involved in your project. What a great feeling it must be to see your Lamborghini in its first primer stage. What a huge accomplishment! A great thread and please keep posting your pics on yours and Al's progress. By what I have seen Al is going to deliver you a beautiful end result.

Steve Kouracos
    Steve Kouracos

14. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Yes that's right, just adds a bit more to the inner side, the body flexes I think in this area just around a sharp corner so the crack propogates from there. Adding the vertical wall should stiffen it up quite a bit.

15. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Steve thanks for the kind words, yes we did not start from a great point, but really coming together now. My part is relatively easy just work hard and keep paying the bills! I must also complement you on your various transformations, especially Dinos.

16. #216 EarlyCat, Jan 27, 2013
    That area cracks on almost every Countach. I think it's caused more by someone leaning over on the car than anything else. Simon I made up a few patterns of the scoop, one in the dark paper & another in white. The dark paper one follows the body line. The white one is a little more crisp.

17. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Awesome just what is required, thank you.

18. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    #218 sp1der, Feb 3, 2013
  19. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Simon, you are doing God's work!! Your car is going to be spectacular when finished!!!

Mike

20. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Hi Mike - thanks for the encouragement, we are hopefully on the home straight now, getting the primer down was a big step forward. I am estimating we are about 6-8 weeks away now from completion. The target is to make sure we are back on the road before the summer.

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Anything new?

22. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Waiting for the next installment of pictures from Al. The side sills are beinge re-trimmed with the correct speaker perforations covering some new Alpine speakers. The rest of the body parts should be in primer and then just the doors to sort out.

23. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Is Al spending too much time on QPIII's? I haven't been very active for a few months, but wondering what the status is?

24. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    There is progress will get some pictures up in the next couple of days, the car is primed has been blocked back ready for next coat of primer. The doors are causing a bit of a headache as we cut out the old NACA ducts due to the mis-shapen state they were in, getting it all lined back up again is going to take some time!