Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Funny, #1120001 has still the holders for the swiss registration plates mounted...

2. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    So this car has actually been driven on Swiss roads by it's owner?
    Do you know the plates? Are there any pictures of the car on those plates?
    for how long did the owner use the car before he parked it in a shed?
    Great story!

Ciao!
    Marcello

3. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Correct, when inspecting the car I found traces of red colour in the inner fender etc, so I knew immediately what piece of history I found, unfortunately I didn't have the money to buy it myself...

I heard from the seller that the owner was a painter, it's said to have been in Basel where I come from, but I never saw the car on the road nor on pictures. It's like it was hidden away 25 years and suddenly popped up in that yahoo auction 2000.

Indeed a great und strange story...
    I'm really happy this car is now in the factory museum instead of being in Japan.

Here you can see the typical swiss reg. plate exchange mount and my wife when she saw the CT the first time.
    http://www.countach.ch/MyQV/gla12997_79.jpg

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I have images somewhere of the car parked on the road in the mid-70s with a swiss plate on it and its posted on another thread, Countach Reunion beleive. I checked with some 'insiders' and they tell me Rene Leimer took the car home and used it onthe road...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

5. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #105 Marcello, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the picture you posted.
    Unless you have other pictures wich proof different,
    I would say these are Italian plates.
    Swiss plates are white with black letters.
    Nice to see see those golden rims.
    Raymond, any traces of gold left when you found her?

BR,
    Marcello
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Leimer took a lot of cars to Switzerland and sold them without giving the factory the money I heard, strange this went on till the factory went bankrupt...

Indeed this is not a swiss plate, it looks like an italian export plate. Also the Cheetah had a swiss plate prior to it's final test in the states.

7. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Very interesting info Raymond. Was Rosetti any better, or did they both party untill the lights went out?
    Do you know if "da picasso" from Basel bought it from Rene Leimer?
    And did the car have golden rims then?
    I noticed it did have huge non LP400 mirrors mounted, for road use, wich are now luckily removed again.

8. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    All I know now is that that car is in Japan, and the Bonsai tree's in the background seem to confirm that.
    I will keep digging...

9. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Also note that the originally silver painted front bumper is painted black now.
    I would seriously advice the factory to bring it back to the original silver again.

Ciao!
    Marcello

10. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I agree i was so surprised when i saw the car at Concorso that the bumper was black, i even questioned Balboni whether it really was the true no1 LP400, as i was convinced the bumper was silver. I was also surprised at the cars condition. I thought it had been restored by the factory, before they put it on display in their museum, but its in a very worn state with cracked glass in the right door and looking a little worse for ware. A little preserved history is nice in a restoration but they dont seem to have even restored her?

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, Italian plates indeed.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I was more than dissapointed, in fact a bit miffed that factory hadnt even bothered to present this iconic and historical Holy Grail of Countachs in a better fashion (its been this way the past 5 years or so in the "Museo Lamborghini" and they havent bothered to better its condition).

Of course, the glaring error is the front bumper which should be silver. Then there's the body where the holes from the road mirrors have been amateurishly filled-in with plugs. The exhaust stystem appears to sagging, the rear badging is all wrong (see my post number 62 and look at how the rear panel should be...), the rear suspension is completely gone so the rear end is sagging badly, the interior is in pretty poor shape. I mean even if they were trying to present it as a survivor, a well-maintained survivor in decent driving condition would be the very least this jewel should be afforded. Its almost as there's no respect for the poor girl!

Laziness or apathy? I cant decide, but its a bit pathetic. I wish Raymond had called me instead...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

13. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Does the engine actually run, and is the car drivable?
    I have mixed feelings about the car.
    They just left the car "as found" with the patina that comes with it, I really like that.
    A complete Sacky/Bobileff restoration would probably kill the car as well, death by concours..no offence
    Back to original specs, and in driving condition, without losing the patina, that's the way to do it.

If leather is going to be replaced and repaint is done,
    you might even think of bringing it back to red/black again.
    I prefer the green though.

Ciao!
    Marcello

mt_jt likes this.
  14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    ROFL!!!

15. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    No, I think Joe will exactly understand and hopefully agree what I mean in this special case, no need for discussions here about the excellent work they do on cars.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I do understand your point.

What I was hoping was they would not restore it, but "fix" the things that need attention, correct the glaring mistakes, show it some historical respect, sympathetically make it really presentable. Oh, well, its not my car.

No I do not even know if it runs properly...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

17. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I think the fact that it is merely a relic of a bygone era (that the current owners probably don't care much about) and that it can't really make the company any real money is why it is left in its present state.

I too was not impressed with its condition but the fact that it was not crushed and recycled years ago is comforting.

18. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #118 Marcello, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

Attached is a colour card of the Countach-Silhouette period, wich means between 1976 and 1979.
    Does anybody have list of the original LP400 colours?
    I think #1120001 would be "verde medio", like #120008.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    theres patina and then theres holes in the bodywork plugged but not painted,

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed. Actually theres not much 'patina' with that car IMHO. Both the paintwork and the interior as they exist are not even original.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I too was a little disappointed with the condition of the green LP when I saw it at the factory in 2005. All of the points noted by Joe and I will add that I was told that the car does not run. Please take this only as a comment given to me by the museum curator. With that said however, I have not seen any images of it moving.

On the subject of that car it is great to see Raymond a member here. If it is not too much to ask, I kindly ask if he could tell a little more about the finding of the car and the sale to Lamborghini. I have also always wondered what the asking price was back then. I'm sure enough time has passed that it would not be an issue to post it. So Raymond please tell us 'how much did they want for the Lamborghini barn find of the century?'

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    <<Drumroll>>

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

23. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I found the car in a yahoo-auction and got in contact with the seller (located in canton Glarus in the alpes), the car then sold on yahoo for DEM 260k, but as I got to know the seller and buyer could not find an agreement about the shipping costs and how to ship.
    I contacted Valentino and told him about the car, some month later the car was still in this barn-like garage and I contacted Valentino again, he went then there with Gamberini and they bought the car.

I don't know what the price was and what turned out with the buyer of the yahoo-auction and to be honest I don't want to know it either because it's not my business. Also the seller turned out not being a stand up guy, but that's another history.

The seller told me the engine ran but that there was a problem with the fuel pumps, the engine cranked in 2000.
    The factory did only some cosmetic fresh up but no restoration, IME it's OK like this, this car has now 35years and is allowed to wear patina.
    BTW the front bumper was black when I found the car: http://www.countach.ch/History/LP400/1120001_5.jpg

More amazing for me is f.e. that the louvres in from of the radiators are completely different from the later production cars, also the brake duct under the front were simply riveted onto the body (later they were integrated). All this proves that this is the red/green first car after the famous destroyed prototype.
    Also the handbrake (on the left) and midtunnel is different: http://www.countach.ch/History/LP400/1120001_3.jpg

The only thing that is obvious on the car are the red painted exhaust tips:
    http://www.countach.ch/History/LP400/1120001_12.jpg

Me at the factory in 2001: http://www.countach.ch/History/LP400/1120001_ray.jpg

Raymond
    www.countach.ch

PS: I know I should update the history pages of the countach homepage but since I'm having a new house built even my car stands his tires flat...

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you Raymond for the story. I did a quick currency history and in 2000 260K DEM was just over 100K USD which, at the time, was quite a lot for an LP400 that needed everything. Of course this is a very special car but in 2000 the market for these cars was very cold compared to today so the asking price was for sure on the high end of the market. I guess my only other question is that did the seller know what he had or did he think it was just another (if you can ever say that :)) LP400?

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I saw the car prior to its restoration when it just had been taken from the transporter into the workshop who finally restored it. It seems to me that the resto was done not correct as at that point nobody from Lamborghini really supervised the work!

But how and when came the car to Sweden where it was found? Joe do you have a copy the of the UK-mag (C&SC??) where the find was featured?

Ciao!
    Walter