Cry for help | FerrariChat

Cry for help

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambi America, Jan 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am trying to get my new F355 lights properly wired into my 348, but I'm having a nightmare of a time. My wire colors on the 348 harness don't match my 348 schematics, nor do they really match what Husker or Mark (Utah) thought was in their cars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1990 348ts - 86426

* I can't seem to get the 'driving lights' (headlamps on) to work. I *assume* this should be all four lamps: one bulb illuminated in the outers, and one bulb illuminated in the inners. I can't get this to operate at all.

* I have "unused" wires (as shown in the diagram)... simply b/c they didn't match any of the Mark (Utah) or Colin instructions. I know they need a home somewhere.

Disclaimer: I am a wiring MORON. I make no pretense to actually understand it.

Anyone? Buehler?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Given no reliable schematics, I would take a multimeter on voltage setting and attach the ground lead to a metallic point on the frame (ground) and use the other lead to check every wire. This will give you a positive ID on each wire color and what its function is. Should take a max of 15 minutes to go through every wire and every function, brake, reverse, turn, driving lights etc..

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm confused by what you are asking? Your post says headlamps in writing but your drawing looks like tail lights or I am completely lost. Either way I would think about what you need vs. what you have. Since you are doing 348 to 355 some of the wires may not all be used. I would figure out with a voltmeter what 348 wire does what with blinkers on/off and brake pedel on/off, lights on/off etc... Then you can look at the 355 lights and see where to hook up to get the effect you want. Or just look at the 348 and note the revese bulb has a thin x color wire coming off and that goes into x connector and the z color wire is the reverse wire...get it?

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Edit coming. J Salmon was the voice of reason.

5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#5 Ricambi America, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FBB - the whole conversation is about rear taillamps.

Here's what worked, and I post this simply for the archives of Fchat. Video uploading now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I think where he put "driving" he meant taillights (the rear lights that come on when the headlights are on) not brake lights (the rear lights that come on when the brake is pressed)

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Yes, that is correct. I've got it working -- but it's a bit odd, and I need help from the F355 folks:

1. When the brake lights are on, it seems to only illuminate the inner-facing red lamp on the INNER tail lights. Is this correct? (0:19 - 0:27 in the video below)
    2. Driving lamps (rear tails which illuminate when the headlights are in position 1 or 2) only illuminate OUTER tails. Is this correct? (0:34 - 0:41 in the video below)

Reverse is hard to see because of the light, but it is only the clear inner section of the INNER tail lights, and seems to work o.k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w-2-47nLyM

8. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Daniel, the inboard lights should come on completely when you step on the brake. Mine are bright and uniformly lit, all the way around.

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #9 285ferrari, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    #2 is correct----When I turn on the parking/headlights in position 1 or 2 the outer 2 rear lights come on fully around the entire circle

#1 is like Salmon's - When I apply the brake the inner 2 rear lights come on fully all the way around the circle..

Seems you are fine except for the inner part of the inner rear light when brake is applied....Should be on...

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

How is this even possible? I'm confused.

FACT: All 355 lamps have three bulb sockets. A center socket, and two 'outside' sockets.

On mine, the inner lamps only have 2 bulbs inside them: the center 'reverse' bulb, and the 'inside red' bulb (as shown in my video). The outer lamps, by contrast, have two outside bulbs, and no center bulb.

The inside lamps (brake lights) aren't even punched in the plastic housing to accept a bulb. Could somebody unscrew their one of their inner lamps and describe what they see in terms of bulbs? Grazie!

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #11 285ferrari, Jan 3, 2009
    I will call you..Nevermind---your biz line goes to voicemail--call me at the house, I will tell you what I can..

12. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #12 3forty8, Jan 3, 2009
    That doesn't sound right; I've got a set of 355 lights kicking around and they are as follows:

Outer lamp: Two bulbs (on left and right hand side; no center bulb); 3 (out of 4) pins on connector.
    Inner lamp: Three bulbs (left, center (reverse) and right hand side); 4 (out of 4) pins on connector.

I believe you are missing the outer bulbs on each inner lamp. Place a bulb in each one and test before doing anything else with the wiring - you may already have it wired up correctly.