Daytona hood shocks | FerrariChat

Daytona hood shocks

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Mar 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Forgive the X-post....Anyone have a source for rebuilding or purchasing hood shocks for a Daytona? My coupe has thick ones, the spyder (conversion) the thin ones. which are correct? thanx. steve

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Steve - check with Geoff Ohland (Partsource).
    He may have them.

Bob Z.

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    there is one on ebay.

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for the info. For a nice, but non-concourse car, it's hard to justify $1K for a pair of hood shocks. ouch! s

6. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    They are called struts, in the car business , and new ones for any current make are worth 15 USD. So I am sure so long you have the correct tube and insert that they can be rebuilt for less than 100 USD and this is a very generous quote.

As a side story, a company quoted me 4000 USD ( four thousand ) to change the electric engine that open and close the shutters in my house. I refused as they were operating with remote from time to time, so in my view not the engine. Turns out that if was a lose electric connection, cost half an hour of work, roughly 40 USD ( for a Swiss electrician,,,) .

It is painful to figure out that because the cars are expensive, people are going the the easiest solution, in this case new old stock rather than repairing. Incidentally I would not be surprised that new old stock would die fast as rubber and gaskets are old and often dry! So definitely would go for a rebuilt, and I know question is where. Not sure I have the answer by now, but if it was my car, I would definitely ask around!

7. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for the info. Are the "thin" barrels, with a blue label, ever correct, or are those def'n replacements? all the info is much appreciated. steve

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    You might surprise yourself by going to Pep Boys, if concours is not your thing.

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    other than the points of attachment and the overall, full extended length, would any other parameters, like pressure be in play? thanx steve

10. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Steve,
    Rod Drew at Francorchamps of America, Inc. in Costa Mesa, CA did mine. I don't remember the exact charge, but it was reasonable. His website is: <ferrarioc.com>

11. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I used Frank up at Strutwise

Bill

12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Steve
    I have only seen the thick ones on a Daytona.

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan