Daytona: Real or Not? | FerrariChat

Daytona: Real or Not?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by nicholasn, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Hi everyone,

I posted this in the NC/SC section, and was recommended to post it here as well.

Basically, I ran across this picture a couple days ago of what appears to be a Daytona Spider at a beach in North Carolina. I'm definitely no expert on Daytonas, but I was curious to see if this was a legit Daytona or not. (I suspect not, but you never know!)

Here is the photo:

http://www.exoticspotter.com/images/223/222587.jpg

This isn't my photo, so I don't know if there are any additional photos showing the front of the car.

-Nicholas

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    It's fake. My guess is a McBurnie Daytona replica.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Real. 100%

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    There is not much detail to go on.
    It may be an early euro conversion as there are no headrests but it very hard to tell without other or more detailed photos but I would say it is not a kit car from this picture.

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Never owned one myself but it looks legit from this angle. As Grant said possibly an early EU car that was converted. There's a converted '69 euro car for sale on Long Island right now that has no head rests/wood wheel. Don't know what's original to the car and what's not but a family friend owned the car in the 80's and while a different colour it had the same set-up back then, as I recall.

6. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I have Euro converted Spyder and I have to say this is a legit car, but as noted earlier, can't be sure it's an original GTS or a conversion. s

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It's a real Daytona. Has the correct body shape. All the little things like instrument cluster, dash vents, exterior door release handles, exhaust, frame bits under the car, lights, interior mirror, vent windows, etc. are all correct Daytona. These are things that they don't bother with on a replica/kit-car.
    You would need more information/better photos to determine if it is a real spider or a cut car.

8. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    oooh....tough to see the cluster and dash vents, but i might have to have my cataracts re-done! Agree the rearview mirror looks correct and the tonneau looks just right, too. Doubt it's a cheapo replica. steve

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I don't recall seeing a replica WITH wing window.
    Regardless, like Brian listed, there are many ways to distinguish the differences.

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I stand corrected.
    There is something about the stance, though, that makes me wonder. I was also surprised at the fit of the tonneau. But if the other folks in this thread say it's real, based on who they are, it's real.

11. jimlt4383

jimlt4383 Karting

Sep 1, 2006
    Fuel cap is too far to the rear and the top of the trunk hinges are exposed. Looks like a early Straman cut car to me.

12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Door locks, trunk lines and filler cap all look right to me. Did "cut cars" and coupes have the filler cap/lid laid out differently than a true GTS? I wouldn't have thought so. It's a real Daytona...GTS or GTB? Can't tell. steve (Converted car #14047)

13. jimlt4383

jimlt4383 Karting

Sep 1, 2006
    Good job Steve! I think u are right its 14047.

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes I think so as well, good spot.
    So first RHD, plexi, dark blue coupe, then crashed and converted and painted more of a purple colour, then black LHD, now red LHD and pop up lights!

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Wow! Could be, as I purchased #14047 from FJx and believe it or not, am planning to drive it to work in about an hour!! The last owner (except for FJx) lived in Atlanta and had the car serviced at Foreign Cars Italia in NC, so it most likely is my car! I hurried over my notes this AM, but have never heard that it was a plexi nose, but I did know it had Borranis at that time. (Cromodora 5 star mags now). FJx's son, Spencer Trenery, sold the Borranis out from under the car. (rat.) And yes, Brian's shop did the PPI. s

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #17 TTR, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    I think its "stance" is actually more appropriate than on most. Most Daytonas I've seen or seen pictures of appear to have incorrect (too low) front suspension ride height, which I believe is due to engineering/manufacturing defect that seemed to have plagued the model already when new.

Then again, I wasn't there when they were manufactured, so above is only an opinion based on personal observations and on-going research.

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    We had a long discussion about car #14047 on FC, about Dec 8, '12 just before my purchase, and I believe that it was a Euro delivery car, probably plexi nose at birth, but silver with A/C (never replaced). Almost certainly a LHD car from the get go and wearing Cromodoras, as it does now. (It's a very nice car and I doubt it was ever RHD...nothing looks weird or chopped up in any way.) Put in a new battery over the weekend, went to close the hood for the drive to work this AM, and &%@#^&*# the hood wouldn't close because the passenger side latch was stuck in the closed position. I know how to fix this, but I didn't have time and you need someone to pull the release handle while you attack the latch with a screwdriver. I've been married long enough not to bother the Mrs. with this sort of thing when she's scrambling to get to work, so I'll fix it this PM. Don't feel sorry for me, tho', as I got to drive my '67 SB 'Vette roadster instead!

Looking at the picture of the car and reading the commentary, brought to mind that State Farm commercial where the actors cry "Is that my car?". steve

18. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Interesting. Thanks for this, Timo.

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Steve
    I will e-mail you some photos of the car in the morning when I get back to work. I guess you have the photos of when it was black?

20. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Grant that would be great. If you'd like, you can email to <[email protected]> most appreciated! steve

21. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Timo
    I think it more that the correct rear springs for a Spyder are way too high and stiff, that is why I did not use them and ended up selling them as they would not take them back, they are a different part number from the coupe rear springs . The front springs are the same from Spyder to coupe.

Steve you may want to fit coupe springs to the rear of your car so the tyres fill the arches much better and should give you a better ride.

22. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Readplays, thanx for retracting that statement about the car being a McBurnie (stupid me, i thought that a McBurnie was a surgical incision used to remove a hot appendix!), as my car's feelings were hurt and i was afraid she'd be crying tear drops of oil on the garage floor! steve

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    The original question was if it was a "real" Daytona. The 2nd post, I made, was answering the question. Yes it's a "real" Daytona: 100%.
    Being an Original or 'Cuttop" that, I don't know.

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Steve
    Sorry forget what I said.
    I must have a typo on the chassis number at work, Its 14037 the car next to yours on my files that was a RHD, dark blue coupe, then a spyder conversion in a purple/ blue colour, then black, still plexi I think and now LHD, spooky coincidence!