Daytona Rebuild | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Daytona Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TimRoper, May 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    No, as I said, I never had keys...locks I have, just can't use them. I assume there must be a way to create a key from the lock, or buy used complete locks with matching keys.

Carlo

2. Turner

Turner Karting

Sep 6, 2004
    EC
    Full Name:
    Turner
    Ok I understand now. I used to have a motorcycle with the same problem. I obtained an uncut key fob intended for use with my motorcycle. I then remove the lock mechanism and brought it along with the uncut key to a reputable locksmith. He was able to fashion a perfectly cut key from the lock and the key fob. I never had any further problems with it and it was a completely "factory" correct fix for the problem. I would suggest you do something similar. It is possible although I can imagine a daytona key is slightly more complicated than a motorcycle key.

3. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #78 TimRoper, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #79 TimRoper, Aug 2, 2006
  5. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #80 TimRoper, Aug 14, 2006
    Unfortunately, the car was not going to be ready until early spring next year and even more unfortunately I have been really really missing having and driving a proper car like the Daytona and I remember how lovely those Dinos looked underneath the sceleton of my car. Even more unfortunately 'Mike the torch' took pity on me and showed me his almost finished 246GT that he has been restoring from the chassis up over the past few years to lift my spirits and then told me he might be thinking of selling it.

Guess what happened next ? (Marcel type teaser here).

Anyway, the daytona restoration has now gone on the back burner until the Dino is reunited with its engine and the trim finished. Here are a few pics of the daytonas running gear getting the shot blast and paint treatment.

By the way I hear on the grapevine here in the u.k of a genuine 3 owner 246gt coming on to the market in the next week or so for 50 ish thousand quid.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Tim,
    Just popped over to your thread to see how it's all going. looks great so far. whats this about a Dino? are you getting greedy!!!
    Regards,
    Graham Paske.

7. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Graham

Yes, I'm afraid I am. I've been seduced by the curves of a 246! and hope to take delivery early November. She is nearing the end of a rebuild and is waiting to be reunited with her engine. How do you get on with yours? Do you use it regularly? Any photos?
    Regards
    Tim

8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Tim,

Thanks for posting these photos, its really helpful to see the detail of a stripped car for those of us keeping unrestored cars going.

A small tip, the lower inner sill tube, rectangular 1.5 x 3/4", is open at the rear and exposed to spray from the rear wheel. This is a real rust trap. Cut a plug out of a chunk of rubber to close it off, yet still be able to pull out if you're concoursing.

I am extremely hesitant to invoke the originality obsessives here, but the vertical links for your rear sway bar should be satin black, not plated. These also rust out because they're open at the top, again its a good idea to plug them.

Ian

9. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Ian, thanks for the tips. I am going to saturate the inside of all the hollow structures with some sort of rust proofer/water repelant. Bearing in mind I am only going to drive her when its dry,I wonder will the plug idea have the effect of locking any condensation in as opposed to letting it evaporate out?

What is a sway bar?

Best

Tim

10. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Tim, I've had the car 18 months and am still taking it apart!! body tub and chassis just been blasted and my metalwork guy is currently rebuilding all four wide arches and complete sills along with other anomalies follow the 246 forum for all my woes
    Regards,
    Graham

11. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    If you flood that tube with fisholene then allow to drain out and dry, it shouldn't rust. (I jacked the rear of my car as high as I could get then poured in the fish oil with a funnel. Waited a few hours, then hoisted the front and let it drain out.) Plugging the end will stop water and mud getting in, but make the plug removable so that every few years you can pull it out and repeat the process.

The sway bar connects one side of the rear suspension to the other. Its a steel bar that runs across the back of the car and is located in the chassis frame just above the upper rear wishbones. A forged link is bolted to the end (on splines) and runs horizontally rearwards, where it connects to a vertical link which runs down to the lower wishbone. (phew!) My car (14397) has this link painted, later cars have it cadmium plated (look at 16915 on the daytona registery originality page). The link is a hollow tube, open at the top and collects any water thrown off the rear tyre, thats why it should be plugged.

12. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

Sway bar is American for Anti Roll Bar

13. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Thanks for the tips guys, I don't want to spend all the time and effort on the car for it to start rotting from the inside out!

14. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    #89 TimRoper, Nov 14, 2006
    The dino has got the engine in now and is being fettled and shook down, so its back onto the Daytona. How about building up a collection of classics all starting with the letter D, any ideas?

Anyway work has started on repairing the rear end, we just missed the last complete rear end at Marranello. Also attach photos of the new headlight inner and the door skin panels.

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Cars beginning with D = Deusenburg

Amazing project, good luck!

Regards,

Art S.

16. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    Looking good tim,I have an old series landy,the chassis' get painted in a black oily concoction for protection,I can get the name of it if you want,little draining holes are important to release any standing water,as "time in contact" is the real killer..

17. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    waxoyl

18. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    There is also a product called Frame Saver that is used my frame/chassis builders to spray inside the tubes to keep it from rusting. Motorcycle and Bicycle frame builders use this as well. Also, there is a product called T-9 Bootshield that came out of the airplance industry that they use for rustproofing. I've used both with good results.

Steve

19. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Waxoyl I've heard of and in the U.K I think it has a good reputation. 'Mike the torch' is telling me about another, older preperation that Ferrari used to use. I will interogate him further and let you know exactly what it is/was.

Anyway, take a look at this website................www.wiringlooms.com/news.aspx

20. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    www.conekt.net/applications-engineering.html

Look at 'active steering wheel system, and 'electric power steering'.

There is a daytona in the uk that has had a steering column - electric steering unit fitted and apparently you wouldn't know by looking in the engine bay that it was fitted. Would even fool a concours judging!

You may think this is heresy.......

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #96 IanB, Nov 15, 2006
    Definitely heresy Tim!

You are better to install a Queen Mary power steering pump and box if the standard system is too much effort. No chassis mods needed, the car can revert to original at any time. btw You loose 75% of steering feel with PAS.

Most of the "legend" of Daytona heavy steering arises from cars in poor condition. If the standard steering box is in 100% condition (can be rebuilt by ZF) and all suspension components set up correctly, with XWX tyres, the steering is not unduly heavy.

I have a smaller than stock wheel, on a 2" boss extension. After 100 miles of mountain roads, my shoulders know they've done some work, but I've happily kept pace with 355's and 360's, etc.

22. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas

You mean this stuff http://boeshield.com/index.htm

23. TimRoper

TimRoper Karting

May 24, 2005
    Taunton England
    Full Name:
    Tim Roper
    Hey Ian

Did you buy your car from Oakfield? If so I looked at that car and took it out for a test drive and I remember it was a lovely vehicle. I distinctively remember thinking the steering was a lot lighter and more manageable than mine, as was the clutch operation. How are you enjoying it?

24. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Also see:

http://www.jackknight.co.uk/press_release/0512_jkdpr_epas.pdf

I have never seen a Daytona with electric power steering. Would be very interested to see it.

Mark Shannon

25. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK

Maranello Concessionaires back in the late 70's and early 80's certainly used Dynatrol. Perhaps that is what he is referring to.

Mark Shannon

www.markshannon.net