dead 488 Spider | FerrariChat

dead 488 Spider

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Randy, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The guy who details my cars left my lights on in the 488. It's completely dead now. I'm trying to open up the hood to charge it, but since it's electric, I can't do it. In someof my other Ferraris, there are loops to pull to open the hood, but I don't see it on the 488, does anyone know where they are or do you know how to open the hood.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Randy- The lever next to the driver's seat will raise the front hood with no power, but the battery is not there. From the 488 owners manual:

Battery
    The battery is located in the passenger compartment behind the
    passenger side footrest.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #3 Motob, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    There is a black plastic thumb-nut at the upper right corner of the passenger footplate. Unscrew it, and the plate hinges down in order to access the battery.

Your car came with a battery maintainer, that will slowly charge the battery. It is located in the bag with the car cover. It attaches to a magnetic socket on the RR. of the bumper above the license plate.

If you left the car cover bag/battery maintainer in the front trunk, there is an emergency release string under the driver's dash to the left of the steering column. It should be red in color.

The lever next to the driver's seat opens the rear (engine compartment hatch), not the front hood.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #4 mike32, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

Do you have access to the car or are you locked out of it ? Assuming you can get into it, where does the battery tender plug into it. Can you connect a charger behind the seats like a 430
    If you cannot get into it, you can charge the battery by connecting to the starter cable underneath it and back feed the battery, a bit of a pain but ot works on a 430

5. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Thanks guys, with your help, I figured it out, although I just used jumper cables on the battery because the hood still wouldn't open until it had a charge and I didn't see the manual pull. It's running great now and I just took it for a drive. thanks again!!

6. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Funny.

With all the 'New School' CRAP, 'Old School' saves the day.

Just an observation.

Glad you got it running.