Deal is done. McLaren Renault & Toro Rosso Honda for 2018 | FerrariChat

Deal is done. McLaren Renault & Toro Rosso Honda for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Reports in Germany say the announcement will come at the Singapore Grand Prix, it is believed that the deal has been completed and we’ll see a swop of Power Units in 2018.
    With the final jigsaw piece falling into place with the announcement at the weekend, that Carlos Sainz will leave Toro Rosso for the works Renault team next year as a sweetener for the transition. The very talented Carlos has certainly outgrown his time at Toro Rosso so his leaving the Red Bull stable isn’t a huge surprise.

Originally the announcement was set for Monza but delays in discussions between the parties meant the announcement had to wait until the next race at Singapore. Indeed it seemed that the governing body FIA and FOM mandated that McLaren had the right not to be blackmailed into keeping Honda and so had a part to play in the discussions. Honda made it very clear that they’d only work with McLaren in Formula One or they’d leave. Had such a ultimatum occurred, McLaren would not have an engine supply as the other manufacturers are limited to supply a set number of teams.

Many have argued that McLaren simply can’t afford to ditch Honda as they provide the driver salaries along with free engine supply and development. But Zak Brown, boss of McLaren had already made clear that in order for McLaren to prosper, they need to be further up that grid and that was his priority. Indeed, their desire to keep Alonso was foremost in their mind with this decision.

Now the deal has been done, Toro Rosso will likely begin the slow disentanglement from Red Bull and become the works Honda team. Interesting times ahead.

https://thejudge13.com/2017/09/11/deal-is-done-mclaren-renault-toro-rosso-honda-for-2018/

of2worlds likes this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess it's a good deal...for everyone....Renault gets better drivers, Sainz a better team, Mclaren a better engiine..and Toro Rosso cheaper engines....

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yeh TR get cheaper engines...but will they be any good?

Alonso can stay at McLaren ,but who will stump up his huge salary?

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a strange feeling Honda will make huge progress with their engines this off season. Just a feeling....

CSM0TION likes this.
  5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Great news for mclaren. Good news for Honda too - they will save a whole ton of money vs funding mclaren and Alonso. Good for TR - they get cheap pus and head towards independence. Thumbs up all round.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What he said

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Bad news for McLaren.

First, they use to have the Mercedes engine. That engine is now in Force India. And, they ain't doing too badly with it.

Second, they went into this thing thinking they were going to win championships with Honda AND have an exclusive supplier of free engines for 10 years. Oh, and get the drivers at 1/2 price because of Honda paying the other half.

Now they are begging for the 3rd best engine so they can get rid of the 4th worst engine. And, the 3rd best engine is one they have to pay for now, along with all the driver's salaries and any other perks Honda tossed in for free.

This is something to celebrate? I don't think so.

Lastly, now the Honda engine is in the control of RB. If Honda gets their act together then the motor will go from TR to RB and McLaren will look pretty foolish if they win with it.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

McLaren must have figured out that Honda would not come good before the end of this formula.
    Waiting 3 more years wasn't an option.

Red Bull can take a gamble, because it has 2 teams and can experiment on TR, without damaging RB. .

375+, vinuneuro and of2worlds like this.
  9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Sainz will likely race for Renault already in less than 3 weeks

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Thankfully, it is way past time for Palmer to leave.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

SEPTEMBER 11, 2017

Sainz not confirming Renault switch

Carlos Sainz looks set to contest his final race for Toro Rosso this weekend in Singapore.

Multiple sources are reporting that, in Singapore, the Spaniard will sign a contract to complete his switch from the junior Red Bull team to Renault.

He will reportedly replace the struggling Jolyon Palmer, with Red Bull rookie Pierre Gasly jetting in from his Super Formula duties in Japan to fill in for Sainz at Toro Rosso.

It appears to be the move that completes the complex divorce saga between McLaren and Honda, with the British team switching to Renault power for 2018 and Toro Rosso signing up with Honda.

However, Sainz is not confirming his impending move.

"Red Bull does its best for my career and so whatever they decide, I will accept it," he told Marca sports newspaper during a sponsor event at the weekend.

"It is difficult for me because what I say may please one person and displease another, so I prefer to say nothing.

"All I know is that there are many people in Toro Rosso that I want to think for making me the driver I am today," Sainz added.

Asked if a conclusion to the entire McLaren-Honda-Renault-Toro Rosso saga is now imminent, he answered: "I don't know.

"But I think for the sake of the teams involved, they are going to have to decide sooner rather than later, because (preparation for) 2018 is already here," Sainz told EFE nes agency.

Germany's Auto Bild said the transfer fee agreed between Red Bull and Renault for Sainz is EUR 8 million.

The publication said Sainz, 22, had a seat fitting at Renault's Enstone factory last week.

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Given that a team with the resources of McLaren could not generate decent results with the Honda power unit, I'm puzzled that some of you think Toro Rosso can. This seems good news all around, except for Toro Rosso.

All the best,
    Andrew.

of2worlds and vinuneuro like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I think RB can afford TR to be in the back of the grid IF Honda fails for one or two years

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a strange feeling Honda will make huge progress with their engines this off season.

WilyB, maseraticoupe and tifoso2728 like this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    STR 2018 World Champion :D

16. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Well, for sure NO ONE can say they're expecting this outcome :D

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Illien has taken over the development of the engine. Aside from my Swiss bias, you have to consider that it was him who brought several other engines from ok to fantastic, in F1 and IRL.

If anybody can make the Honda engine more powerful it is him.

subirg and of2worlds like this.
  18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    at 4000-1 I wouldn't mind sticking 20 on it. :D

of2worlds and VPX like this.
  19. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    If only betting was permitted in Brazil....Anyway I'm moving to UK so that's a good bet, Bas! :D

20. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Alonso to Toro Rosso in shock move!!

Just kidding. I wanted to see who was awake this morning. I'm tired of hearing and reading about these bloody hurricanes.

Have a nice day.

tifosi12 likes this.
  21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Got my attention. :)

I wouldn't mind hearing about the hurricanes if the media would actually bother to report about the Caribbean where they did the most damage. But no, we are so US centric.

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    except when it comes to NAFTA!;)

23. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Perhaps, but this current "engine" formula seems capable of bringing even the Giants of engine design to their knees.

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131767/mclaren-agrees-deal-to-leave-honda-for-renault

McLaren has reached agreement with Honda to be released from their partnership and switch to Renault power from the 2018 Formula 1 season, Autosport has learned.

Honda's return to F1 with McLaren has been disastrous since it came back to the grid in 2015, with a lack of performance and constant reliability problems holding the once-successful partnership back during its second iteration.

The relationship has become so fractious during 2017 that it became clear a split was likely, with Renault emerging as McLaren's only realistic alternative.

Sources close to the deal have confirmed to Autosport that McLaren has agreed a three-year deal with Renault, taking it to the end of the current F1 engine regulations cycle at the end of 2020.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    So, where does this leave Alonso? Wasn't a large portion of his salary paid by Honda and wasn't it with their blessing that he raced for Andretti-Honda at Indy?

I can't see Renault doing either of those things.