(DFW) Old Pics from Green Valley Raceway | Page 5 | FerrariChat

(DFW) Old Pics from Green Valley Raceway

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DIGMAN52, Apr 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NickDeFender

NickDeFender Rookie

Aug 16, 2007
    #101 NickDeFender, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dug into my archives and made a couple scans from Sports Car Graphics's "Competition Year" 1968 annual. The track section featured a diagram of Green Valley and indicates racing in a counter clockwise direction.
    These 2 websites,

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/NAmerica/USA/TX/greenvalley.html

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/TX/GreenValleyRaceway.html

show a CW direction. I'm planning on releasing Green Valley that can be raced in both directions but does anyone know which direction the 1967 Trans Am was really run in? The 2 shots with the Cougar and 2 liter cars, seem to me, look like the NE corner with the eastern bridge towards the lower part of the picture. I may be wrong about this, as it's kind of hard figuring out where pictures were taken, never having been there. Also does the pit-in/out graphic at NA-Motorsports look accurate?

I'm about 50% finished with Green Valley, here's a couple new videos of my progress. The 2nd is a TV camera test in another game called GTR2 that uses the rFactor engine. The GT350 in GTR2 has better tire modeling and I've got a best time of 1:11:6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5to5t7MM8mc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKkTDw7hJs
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    They raced counterclockwise in that Trans Am race and every other sports car race I saw there. . You came off a big sweeping corner on the north end of the track onto the main straight, which was also the 1/4 mile dragstrip, and the long runoff area up the hill to the hairpin corner. That race was my favorite of all time.

3. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    The second picture above seems to be coming around the tree that was in the northeast corner of the pit area. The picture would have been taken on the backside of the track at the extreme NE end. I liked to park my car there if I got there early enough because there was not a lot of shade to be found except for the few trees on the northeast end of the track. There was a pretty good up elevation at the end of the dragstrip before the sandtrap. Track stayed pretty flat through the esses in the pit area (if you could call them esses).

They seem to be running the race clockwise which I never saw done in the races I witnessed. They were all run counterclockwise up the dragstrip, back to the left (almost a hairpin) and down the return road, taking a 90 degree right into the pit area about the end of the 1/4 mile. From there it went to the backside of the pit area transitioning north and taking the sweeper back to the south and down the dragstrip.

4. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #104 AnotherDunneDeal, Mar 3, 2008
  5. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #105 AnotherDunneDeal, Mar 5, 2008
  6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Gene Snow was "the man" around here, and then passed the baton on to Raymond Beadle and the Blue Max cars,
    and then Kenny Bernstein. Some great local racers from back in the day.

7. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #108 AnotherDunneDeal, May 8, 2008
    Gene has an office on 121 in Haltom City. He is doing the gas leases in the Barnett Shale. He originally was trying to acquire the leases in our subdivision but eventually gave way to Chespeake Energy. He had acquired about 18 of the approximately 90 properties in our area before selling them out. He has quite a colored past..........I have attached quite a few photos of Gene in some of his various cars over the years. He has been at the top level of drag racing for over 40 years.

Then there was the very public charge in 2007 of indecency with a child alleging years of taking advantage of young boys who were drawn to him through his racing. Quite an uproar over this that has not been completely settled yet. It kind of tarnishes his image with me as it appears to be true. I cannot doubt his influence in drag racing history but I certainly cannot condone his lifestyle as it appears to be........

Don't forget the Carrol Brothers and Oxman top fuel car also. It was pretty fast and won a number of races.

1. 1976 6.26 et
    2. 1965 Dart funny car
    3. 1970 Challenger-first funny car to break 200 mph in the quarter
    4. A/Fuel dragster
    5. Snowman at Beeline in Arizona
    6. Rambunctious
    7. Rambunctious at Carlsbad
    8. Another Revell Snowman shot
    9.. Revell Snowman again
    10. Another Revell Snowman
    11. Top fuel car
    12. Top fuel 1987 Pomona
    13. US 31 dragway in 1975
    14. Rambunctious 1966 Dart funny car against Ohio George Montgomery AA/GS Mustang

8. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Do you remember the real estate developers turned racers , Yancey- Camp ? Their shop was off Reeder near 35 and Crown, right down from my buddie's brother's shop, Mart Higginbothom, driver of the Doran Chevy funny car.

9. sid's yellow rose

Feb 21, 2009
    My dad , Sid Reynolds, raced stock cars. His first car was a Ford Falcon "Sid's yellow Rose" his second car was a Ford Fairmont. I spent every weekend of my childhood at Green valley 70's-80's. Seeing these pictures have brought back so many memories. Thank you all for sharing them !!!

10. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #111 AnotherDunneDeal, Feb 21, 2009
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aafueler.com/greenvalley/Pa010067.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aafueler.com/gvr.htm&usg=__VH8DICn9_Dtf5jzpmX7eJ3XsZRY=&h=300&w=400&sz=24&hl=en&start=19&tbnid=067hRjD9vUK-VM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAHRA%2BGreen%2BValley%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DG

Here is a link to when the track was being demolished and a few more photos of cars at the track. Enjoy. I am going to see if I can find any photos of your dads cars. Do you have any you can post??

11. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #112 AnotherDunneDeal, Feb 21, 2009
    I may have already posted these. If so, please excuse the repost........
    1. Don Gay Infinity funny car, Pontiac GTO RIP Donnie...
    2. Gene Snow, the Snowman......all of you know of him.....
    3. Gene Snow Rambunctious vs Pete Seaton Seatons Shaker
    4. Kelly Chadwick, the professor. School teacher from Floydada, Texas
    5. Phil Bonner, Daddy Warbucks Ford Falcon funny car.....1966

12. sid's yellow rose

Feb 21, 2009
    My dad has a lot of pictures. I will call him and get him to mail them to me..might take awhile, but this is so much fun...looking back and the memories!! Do you happen to remember him?? His class was pro-stock and then i THINK he moved on to super-pro..but that was so long ago and I was just a kid..I'll have to ask him. Thank you for the posts!!! Do you remember the gilland's they ran the store and the time slips??

13. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Ate a few greaseburgers from the track concessions. Picked up a timeslip or two along the way.

I need to see the car. Like you said, "it has been so long". I have lost or misplaced a lot of my old pictures. I will keep looking. I have posted a lot of other pics in some other threads concerning multi-engine dragsters, old funny cars, etc.......You might look up anything started by me in the archives and uncover some of them........

14. al4627

al4627 Rookie

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks to all who has posted pics here from "the Days"......

My racing buddy, Gil Srygley, and I won Middle Eliminator at the AHRA Nat's in 1964. Gil passed away a couple of years ago, but right before he died we got together to talk and remember those "good old days"

I later won several MotoCross races at Green Valley (seems like about 1968-69) which I will try to post here later.

Thanks,

Al Locke

15. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I was at the '64 Nats there. What kind of car were you guys running when you won Middle? I would assume some kind of roadster or an injected dragster. Am I even close?

How long did you race M/X? I ran in the 70's. Just wondering if I was on the same track as you.

16. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #118 DIGMAN52, Mar 27, 2009
  17. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff

18. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I was there for the opening Spring Nationals in 1969 and remember seeing Pat Foster in the red M/T Mustang get hit hard by Schwartz in the Cougar. It was really tragic as Foster had such a tremendous lead that the race was basically over 200 feet off the starting line. Unfortunately, Foster lost control, went sideways and crossed the track directly into the path of the Cougar, which could not avoid hitting him. I remember that they would not say anything about Schwartz condition, only that he had been taken to the hospital for observation.

Tribute to Pat Foster who we lost not too long ago......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wediditforlove.com/08MM/PatFoster%255BPomona2007%255D.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wediditforlove.com/Foster.html&usg=__s2FfZQGoY3VkwO7w2gog8DKwb7Y=&h=319&w=425&sz=29&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=-ZG0i7PniQx28M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPat%2BFoster%2Bfunny%2Bcar%2Bcrash%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DG

19. sccarally

sccarally Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Can I get copies of those for the Texas Region archives? Send them to [email protected]

Sasha

20. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Which do you want copies of?

21. Greg Scott

Greg Scott Karting

Mar 18, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg Scott
    Spectacular photos! Could look at them all night.

Phil: I stopped at an auto parts store on Northwest Highway this morning. Parked out front was a '66 Buick GS convert in primer. Same hood scoops as your car. Almost never see those cars anymore

22. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Northwest Hwy and what other street? That could be on my way to work.

23. Bill M

Bill M Rookie

Apr 3, 2009
    Hello, I would like to see if anyone remembers a 1970 Cyclone Spoiler that was campaigned by the Dallas Fort Worth area Mercury dealerships in 1970. It was rumored to have also run at Green Valley. It was competition gold (orange) with a black stripe from hood to deck lid. Not sure of the class but was a Holman Moody Stroppe modified for probably G/SA. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bill