Dino Saga 080302 _ Jon’s Dino, Bella Italia | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080302 _ Jon’s Dino, Bella Italia

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Mar 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080302 _ Jon’s Dino, Bella Italia

Jon Gunderson started the epic rebuilding of his GTS just after I started my Dino Sagas. I have watched the process with admiration and no little envy. It was fun to help where I could and am very proud of how good a photographer Jon has become after a little coaching. He is almost done now and is confident that the car will be looking and driving nicely by the Bella Italia car show in San Diego on April 5, 2008. He has a spot reserved and I decided that I couldn’t resist going down and joining him. I want to see the real thing, not just the fine pictures. And I wanted to meet the man who spent 2 years building a brand new Dino. I took a tour of San Diego with Google Earth and the show site is as nice as the show brochure indicates. Called Jon and told him that I was joining him and asked if he minded if I invited a few friends. He said no, he has been holding off his completion party for a year now and his pile of celebration T-Shirts is getting old. He would bring them along. Then called Jim Hyldahl, show contact, and asked him if he had any problem with a few extra Dino celebrants. Jim said they have room for 170+ cars, had 6 Dinos last year and will have Dinos grouped this year too. “Bring as many as you want, plenty of room.” I thought of the 200,000+ hits on Jon’s thread and smiled to myself. I told Jim that a lot of Dino owners and wanabees might be interested in seeing the car and the man. I am hoping that many of you share my passion and will join us. Be nice to have a few dozen Dinos clustered around the new baby. I am going down Friday, will enjoy the show Saturday and come back Sunday. Will stay at the Sheraton right across the street. Show is a low key event, no high powered judging. Basically wash, wax and vacuum your car and come on down. Entry fee is reasonable and you get lunch. Here is the contact info and some comments from FChat members: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186898
    Download the flyer, fill in the form, send it in and come on down. If you just want to look, it’s free. Should be a beautiful day. I look forward to meeting the hundreds who have chimed in to cheer Jon on and who have taken the time to read my Sagas.

I took a tour through Jon’s thread and picked a few photos that struck me as significant. Jon was really starting out on FChat, photography, editing and posting pictures. Also setting up a shop to do the reconstruction, buying the tools and studying the books. Shop and pictures started simple. He got a new camera but pictures were still small and fuzzy. I suggested a cure and suddenly there was size and light and detail. We followed the making of a photo encyclopedia that will be a resource for Dino owners all over the world. A high point for me was the photo series he did when selling the black GTS. Have never seen such a sequence in a dealer’s ad or on EBay. One photo won him one of Carsten Christiansen’s drawings and fame as the inspiration of the prints that Dave is selling. I have both of Carsten’s Dino prints on my wall. The final shot of Jeff during the first test drive will have to do until we get to see Jon driving the car himself.

I’ll get back to my Dino next week. Will polish out a few spots and clean out the trunk. The ride to San Diego and back will get the Dino very close to 200,000 miles. I turn 73 today and the car and I are still kicking. Feels good.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Happy birthday to you on the dino making 200K

Carstens black dino looks awesome. Nerodino has chosen to do his car black, hope it turns out like that.

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Happy Birthday to John and the 200k Mile Dino!

This will be exciting to see the two blue Dinos together.
    Count me in.

Scott

4. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN! And an early congrats on reaching 200K!!! I only hope my Dino is out of the body shop by the time of the show. Odds are against it but I now have more of a reason to push them.

Manny

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 synchro, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Has anyone notified David Steele in Temecula?

I hung out at Blackhorse on La Cienega (in LA) on weekends in 2004 when his Dino was undergoing restoration. The results were staggering; 3 consecutive platinums and the cover of Forza magazine.

6. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    John and Jon - might there be room for me to bring one of my Dinos down? I have not registered. What would happen if I just show up? Will they let us other guys in?

Jim S.

7. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Jim,
    I have talked to Jim Hyldahl a number of times and he said that they could handle as many
    Dinos as I could find. He is very good at either phone or email response. Call him and get the word direct from the horse's mouth. [email protected] 1-858-485-8621
    John

8. CliffDonnon

CliffDonnon Karting

Jan 28, 2006
    You are a Dino legend

Cliff Donnon
    South Australia

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Actually more than a legend ...
    What issue of Forza was John in? I never saw it but did hear about it.

10. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Was Forza issue #80, October 2007. Had a pretty yellow FXX on the cover.
    John

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Snowing today in Seattle - Mark (aka DinoGTS) and I are scheduled to leave Seattle in our Dinos on Wednesday but this Spring seems to be more of an extended winter so I'm scrambling to make alternate plans.

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I plan on attending with my wife.

I have been lusting over this Dino since the first day I saw the new paint. :)

Can't wait to see it in person!!!!

13. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I will be there with the Dino Spyyder 2L. pm me with your cell number and I will do the same. It would be nice to meet up for lunch. I will not be able to stay light as I have an electrical issue with my headlights so I have to get back to Los Angeles before dark. Andrew

14. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    P.S. I'll try to remember to bring Dino tire valve caps as I have a lot of inventory and will give them out to John / Jon and others. Just come by and say hi. Andrew