Dino Saga 080330 _ Clean Trunk | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080330 _ Clean Trunk

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Mar 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080330 _ Clean Trunk

My guy at Mena’s Upholstery got back from his vacation and I now have a new floor mat. Liquid chlorine really did the old one in. The edges made a good enough pattern though so new one fits perfectly. Got a scrap piece of material and glued small pieces on either side of the larger piece that covers the removable engine firewall. I replaced the large piece after the engine rebuild and left off the side flaps. Never got around to covering the bare sheet metal on each side. A year or so of use will get everything dusty again and all will blend nicely. Now the new black color stands out. Oh well.

The slimmed down list of required tools, etc. now fits nicely with plenty of room for a bag for two and assorted accessories. Will be headed for San Diego on Friday morning and should have the car looking as good as it is going to be by then. I have never had the car really detailed since the repaint. I have just washed and waxed every few months as required. Took a close look with bright sun from different angles. Discovered just how much polishing compound was at the bottom of every panel line. Sometimes way down. Like way behind doors when door is half open. Guys at the paint shop didn’t dig it all out after sanding and then polishing the clear coat. I touched up the top area above the hinge shield but never took the shield off. Another area is under the nose of the front hood. Got into the gaps with a stick and a wet rag. Stuff comes off but it is tedious. Think being lazy is the proper way to go. Have an appointment with a detailer on Tuesday.

Had a little adventure at the Club this week as the parking lots were refinished. We are a very small operation and don’t have a lot of extra cash for major maintenance. Went around the local paving contractors for prices and even went South some. Front lot was really bad so we had to do some grinding and put a 1” asphalt cap down. Did that lot Monday. Back lot was just old. Still smooth and level with cracks 5’ or so apart. Two contractors thought a chip-seal would do fine and cost less than half of a full cap. We went with the chip-seal after one contractor did a 4’ square sample for us. Tuesday morning a sweeper did his job on the back lot.

Friday morning big trucks and an orange shirted gang showed up. Hot asphalt went down, ¼” gravel went on immediately, a roller followed within 5 minutes. All done by hand. One guy sprayed asphalt from a big truck, one guy drove a wheelbarrow of gravel, 3 guys spread the gravel, 1 guy drove the roller. All day long! Missed their count on the amount of gravel so took a break while a truck re-loaded. All done by 5 PM.

Brought cars back on Saturday and took a couple of shots. Sweeper will be back next Friday to pick up unstuck gravel. Stripes go back the week after. Gonna look nice. See you at Bella Italia on Saturday. Next week’s Saga will probably be on Monday. Should have lots of pictures. Enjoy.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    great little cars.

3. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Aren't you worried that you will dent your side rear panels with the tools flopping around (take a look at the early miata's for an example).

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Alberto,
    Been like that for 22 years and no dents yet. Steel was thicker back then I guess. Ferrari relied on that steel alone to support one end of the bumper. You can see the bolt just below the marker light. Tough little car.
    John