DIY: Upgrade your front & side turn signals to LED’s without hyperflashing issue | FerrariChat

DIY: Upgrade your front & side turn signals to LED’s without hyperflashing issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    DIY: Upgrade your front & side turn signals to LED’s without hyperflashing issues.

1st, to level set: I post threads here with the goal of sharing information and to help others. Nothing more frustrating than doing our own trial & error, wasting precious time, expensive mistakes when there are info out there that can benefit someone. So I post here to share & help others.

Note that I don’t have any intention of violating any rules or promote a business product. I have no business affiliation with any company. Again, Im just sharing info as Im sharing kind of guy.

So here you go:

I love LED’s as it gives the car a more modern look. LED’s consume much less power and also don’t heat up, And they pretty much lasts forever (the well-made ones). With LED’s you can also play around with light color.

Converting front turn signals straight to LED’s is not that simple as the OE turn signal relay will make the LED bulbs hyperflash because of the very low current draw of the LED’s compared to incandescent bulb.

In the past there is no replacement relay I am aware of available to upgrade to in order to switch to LED bulbs. I finally found one. It’s a product designed and made by Stef with a reputation for great design, great build quality and amazing customer service.

The new turn signal relay from Stef has no mechanical coil relay inside, no contacts to go bad, purely solid state, with no moving parts) and it will also work with standard regular bulbs.

An additional benefit, the clicks are much more audible and are fully configurable, even the sound of the click is configurable to user preference.

This turn signal relay will also make your turn signals like modern cars that one touch of the turn signal stalk (No need to push the stalk all the way down) and the turn signal will flash for however many flashes you want your lights to flash (default is 5 flashes, user configurable.)

I also upgraded my side turn signal lights lens to clear lens to give the car an updated look.
    Then I upgraded the side turn signal BA9S stock bulbs to LED’s.

Another nice feature is when pressing keyfob to lock the car. The turn signal flashes rapidly for about 4 seconds to indicate alarm system being armed. Pretty cool effect. Although I will change my setting to 2 seconds as 4 seconds is too long of a duration for me.

So much more features but the best part is – its completely plug and play. Replacement takes 1 minute as the turn signal relay is very accessible and located right behind glove compartment.

I now have this installed in my car for over a month now and I am 100% happy.

Note also that OE turn signal relay from Ferrari is barely audible especially on a Spider & are prone to failures and are expensive to replace.

Another great product from Stef Scud Ing Swiss for our pride and joy. Thank you Stef

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm a cheap ass. I just replace the shunt wire inside the flasher unit with a 6 ohms, 5 watt power resistor (cost 50 cents) and its been working for over 4 years now.

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    As long as it works good and you are happy with it = that is all that matters.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

4. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    A very good DIY idea again Dan. Thank you for sharing!

whatheheck likes this.
  5. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Dan,
    Where did you buy the side turn signal LEDs? Can you please point me to your source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome Michael!

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The order receipt is in my home PC.

Kindly email me and I will send you a link when I get home to Seattle on Monday. Currently in Vegas to attend my niece's wedding.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEFGAAI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice and bright BA9S LED for our side turn signals.

Hope that helps.

Dan

10. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi