Do you get offended when people ask...... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Do you get offended when people ask......

Discussion in '360/430' started by 04 360 spyder, Mar 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.

lmao....It's actually "More than you can afford PAL....Ferrari!"

2. 04 360 spyder

04 360 spyder Karting

Aug 22, 2011
    long Island
    Is it less offensive or less annoying if another ferrari owner asks the "HOW MUCH" question?

3. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Ha! A tifosi should know better...

4. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I would expect another Ferrari owner to subtly change how he was asking... e.g., what are those things going for these days? As opposed to asking how much out of pocket you were when you bought it.

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I personally have never asked anyone, friend or stranger, what he or she paid for something. First, it's none of my business. Second, it's of no interest to me. If a friend who was considering a Ferrari purchase asked me either a general question ("What's the general price range for X?") or a specific one ("What's the most I should offer for this car?"), I would give an answer. Other than those two situations, I can't fathom why anyone would care what someone else paid for anything. If people are in actuality just interested in determining your net worth, there are many more accurate measurements than what you paid for a Ferrari. Fred

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Timely thread.

I had the CS parked near an outdoor art show this past weekend and when I came back after brunch there was a black 599 next too it. So...there was a fair size crowd checking out the two cars...

I got two kinda stupid questions:

First, "Are they both yours?" (err...yes, I drove them both here as if by magic!)

Second, "Am I way off if I guess the red one is $600,000" (err, yes, you are!)

7. Wal

Wal Karting

May 24, 2010
    Airplanes
    had this question recently, counted on my fingers and said " almost 2 months salary"

8. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    I just thought of this..

"how much is it?"

Tell them, "sure I'll tell you. First how much money do u make a year?"

If they do tell u (they usually wont), then give them the coefficient. Say $60k... and ur car is $120k.

"it's twice your yearly salary".

This way they understand the intrusion of the question..

Not sure how it will work.. I'll try it next time haha

9. Nashtyboy

Nashtyboy Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't know, those last two suggestions seem like the best way to get keyed/punched.

Better to remain humble and divert the question if you're uncomfortable answering it.

"It was a lot but it's worth it!"

10. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    good point

11. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I agree with Nashboy... a lot of the earlier comments may come off as cocky or arrogant... and people don't like a cocky guy with a ferrari... humble is defiantly the way to go!!!!

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    agreed

13. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think these types of people are stupid, maybe they dont know much about automobiles and are just suprised to see one roll up near them?

I've always known a v8 ferrari/v10 lambo will come in somewhere £100k-£199k... and the 4 Seat/V12 ferrari and v12 Lambo will come slightly higher at £200K-£300K...

and for the enzos I pretty much cast them around a guess of £1M even though they came out £400K...

It's not hard for people to find out the price of something... magazines and internet :).

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Gentlemen, there is some "thread-of-the-month" material right here!!!

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Every now and then I'll take the 308 to the local Whole Foods market, and hope someone like that will confront me. :)

But hell, the parking lot there is always filled with expensive, gas guzzling SUVs and plenty of Caddies and BMWs, and I've spotted Corvettes, Porsches, and a late-model Aston Martin once. My little old red 308 is below the radar.

16. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    I don't agree about them being stupid. There are people that truly do not know how much cars like these can cost. Sure they may have an idea that it is very expensive but they are curious as to how expensive. Give 'em a better idea with a smile and keep it moving. The person inquiring is obviously impressed with seeing a Ferrari in person. To engage a Ferrari owner, even for a brief moment, has got to be just as rare an experience. There is no need to act like an jackass unless you are being accosted.

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    +1; Will diagnose as Ignorant, not stupid. Ignorant to Ferrari pricing trends, as many on this very board seem to be when estimating current and future pricing :)

18. Zahjah

Zahjah Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Maryland/Colorado
    +1....Well said--some not all are stupid tho' IMO

19. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nicely said

20. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    "Much less than you think, and more than I wanted to spend. Been a dream of mine for years, and I've been very fortunate to realize it."

21. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I am in the the market currently for a Roso Corsa 430... But this weekend I was out and about and I borrowed my girlfriends 2012 black Masserati GTS and I was approached by people ogling the car and when I was asked so when did you get this car or how much was it the response of.... I don't know how much it costs its my girls car.... was a jaw dropper... the follow up question to that was always... wow where do I find a girl like that :) lol I think when I get my 430 I will use the same answer as I enjoyed the positive response :)

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is not so much offensive as annoying. Just seems odd/rude to ask someone what they paid for something. Response should be "what difference does it make"?

23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Depending on my mood, sometimes I find that question inoffensive, and sometimes I find that question asinine.

My usual answer (with a smile): "Anywhere between $1 and $1,000,000...closer to the $1".

24. 04 360 spyder

04 360 spyder Karting

Aug 22, 2011
    long Island
    Where do I find a girl like that.By The way, how much did the Maserati run you. LOL

25. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Things I say,

It's a Chernobyl car they go cheaply these days, more most homes, it's not mine, I write some of the crappy music you listen on the radio, my priorities include a car over a wife, money is easy to make and hard to spend, I live at my parents, to young women "I'm young enough are you old enough", my cousin Charlie Sheen gave it to me, I date cougars, when the sky is blue and the ants crawl up my legs it makes me giggle...