Do you get offended when people ask...... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Do you get offended when people ask......

Discussion in '360/430' started by 04 360 spyder, Mar 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I took the car to my fiancée's parent's house and my family's house on a 600 mile Easter road trip (first time both have seen it since I bought it in October). Overall it was a hell of a fun trip (cruise control would have been nice though!), but needless to say, parking it on the driveway in both neighboorhoods caused quite the stir with people knocking on the door, kids pooling in the driveway, ect. It was all positive attention, I gave at least 10 different people's first time rides in a Ferrari, but almost every single person asked me how much it cost (and every single person thoght it was a 2012 -- is a 2001 360 so it was fun to correct them "nope, she's 11 years old!"). I was seriously asked "how much" about 10-12 seperate times in 3 days. I usually just said "well, it's 11 years old, so about the same as a new BMW or Mercedes" but some pressed further and wanted the number. When my soon to be mother in law asked me how much, and I gave that reply, she said "well how much is that" and I told her but it really did feel wierd. I guess some people were telling her I spent over a million dollars most likely on it, which is about 15x too much!. I dunno, it just feels wierd when someone asks that question and I am surprised how commonly it is asked.

2. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    You can always psychoanalyze them. "I don't mind telling you, but I'm curious why you ask...". If they persist just keep responding with questions.

3. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I will tell you... But... Then I would have to kill you!!!

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I don't understand why we have to make up mumbo jumbo. Sometimes it gets tiresome to be answering questions like that, but I think we should all be able to take it in stride and take a moment to just be nice. Is it that difficult?

I always tell folks, "It was quite expensive for me, but worth the sacrifices."

If they ask for a specific figure, I always politely say, "I'm not sure how much they go for now, but I'm sure it's floating around somewhere on the Internet."

It's somewhat funny too because a good handful of other Ferrari owners ask me the same set of questions but proceed on with a lot more "chest thumping". How much did you pay for it? What do you do? Oh, I paid 100x more. I do this and this. I have x, y and z.

To be honest, I'm more annoyed by such owners' questioning and sword-swinging than the passerby's curious questions. There have only been a handful of folks who actually talk about the car/experience/passion, which to me is a darn shame because that's where all the worthwhile conversations are.

5. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Maybe people ask "how much" because they like the car and want to see if it's within reach.

6. Designstar

Designstar Karting

Oct 30, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Micheal
    I have had my car 90 days and was asked this question for the first time on the road on sunday. I was waiting at a red light when I could here in the car next to me, a dad telling his son to look at my car, "Isnt it beautiful?" he asked his boy. I turned and he started to ask what year, was the car reliable, and then..."so what's one of those cost, like 100 grand?"
    "Nah, much less", I answered. Funny thing was, I was in a 25 year old Ferrari and he was in a late model BMW 7 series.

The key thing I think we all have to remeber is that these cars function on many levels for us, and for the people that are curious about them that we meet. They are rollong Roshach tests of a persons psychological well being or lack there of. For many people these cars represent a fantasy like dating a famous actress or being a pro athelete. Part of that fantasy, for many people, is that these cars MUST cost a zillion dollars otherwise they would have one too.

7. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    Really??
    I have 2 modded Lexus and I get those stupid questions all the time. I know your cars must have mods.

Actually, I can't wait to get a Ferrari. I really don't mind the questions I get now and realize it will get worse with an F car. Sometimes I ask dumb questions too. Not how much it costs but things like how reliable it is or how often is it driven.

I also understand the guy who takes off when they see me coming. It's cool, it's their car and have a right to be rude.

8. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Your future mother-in-law can be excused. She is just sizing you up on the resources you bring to the party.

9. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I had quite the reverse experience over the weekend. As I got ready to pull out of my gas station, a middle-aged guy on a superbike, in full leather attire, asked me to "make some music" as I got onto the road. As I accelerated away from the station, he made a bowing gesture! That's a guy who appreciates what it's all about! Fred

10. Lukie

Lukie Karting

Dec 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Lots of laughs in this thread! I'm surprised to the classic F&F line brought up, good one Jason!

Here's a question for the FCar/ exotics owners, I'm only 18, but with a common passion for all things cars and Ferrari. If I see you pumping gas or somewhere, and I want to engage conversation about your car, what can I say to get a positive response? I know not to ask questions like "how much was it? How much do you make? What's your SSN...", so in my experience, I'll try and start with a simple, "Hey, nice car!". That's worked a couple times and the owner will begin to tell me about his/her car. But usually they just say thanks and drive off. I'm not sure if they just were not in the mood or if I am just doing it wrong. So, how are you guys engaged when the rare passerby actually does want to talk about the car/experience/ passion?

11. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    they were probably in a hurry to get somewhere.. gas stations, toll booths, etc.. they are going somewhere, those are not usually hangouts as you know. Once in a while during gas fillups someone talks to me and I take a few minutes to chat if they are nice.

I suggest going to C&Cs.. owners are there to socialize. I enjoy talking about the car and anything car related.. so ask away.

12. Lukie

Lukie Karting

Dec 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Luke
    That's very true, I've only managed to catch one guy who was about to leave who stopped to talk to me.

I have been meaning to go since the beginning of March! I need to stop making excuses not to go and start finding excuses TO go! Thanks, I will hope to see you there!

13. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    I see you're from Atlanta.. I'm not

14. Lukie

Lukie Karting

Dec 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Woops, forgot I was in 360/430 and not South East... My apologies

15. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Lukie, hope to see you at some local events. The Atlanta owners I know are great.

16. Rod361

Rod361 Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2011
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    G Rod
    That's awesome wish I got that. Instead I get the mustang, challenger, Beamer etc burn off or hit the throttle beside me thinking I'm going to chase them.

17. Rod361

Rod361 Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2011
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    G Rod
    One of my favorites is...how much it set you back? I say it's a house on wheels...you can live in car but can't drive house lol

18. Lukie

Lukie Karting

Dec 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I really need to do a better job of keeping up with when/where events are being held. I'm just North of you in Dahlonega.

19. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Two favorites - one already posted "less than you think" and the second "jeez, thanks man, I'm trying to forget :eek: "

There's lots of "duuches" driving these amazing cars (none are FChatters ;) ) - best we can all do is promote the fact that good, decent guys drive F Cars too.

20. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Over twenty-five years ago two young guys in a jacked-up old Corvette pulled alongside me while I was driving one of my Dinos. They wanted to race. I told them to pick on a car with a more equal engine displacement, and paused while they roared away when the light turned green. One thing is certain: there is never a shortage of idiots who think that life is one drag-race/ego match. Keep your dignity, and let them collect the speeding tickets! Fred

21. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    There is not to much Ferrari action in Atlanta it seems. There is a neat event on Oct.13 this year. (same weekend as Euro Festival) It is called Italian Car Day and located in downtown Norcross. Usually 12 or more Ferrari's and a lot of other Italian exotics. Not sure of the date but Ted Rutlands has an open house each year with a car show.
    As far as talking to people, I think it is great and try to talk to anyone who asks about my car. When I am in one of my other cars and happen upon a Ferrari or Lambo driver, it is surprising how unfriendly some are. I got my car because I appreciate what the car is and I drive it. We are fortunate to be able to own and drive these cars. The cars will probably outlast us so I feel it is best to spread the enthusiam about them.

22. Rod361

Rod361 Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2011
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    G Rod
    Other night an import with an exhaust pulled beside me then took off probably going double speed limit while I maintained posted speed. Then next night I'm on the freeway going with traffic maybe 5-8 mph over and I get pulled over and get a ticket. Where's the cops when u need them when that idiot was going 80+ on a 45mph road!SMH

23. Mark_M5

Mark_M5 Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Ventura County, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That sucks Rod. I was in the exit lane a couple days back in my rented 360, doing 80 (with traffic) when a CHP pulled into the lane behind me. I slowed of course, and he followed me off the freeway, but then pulled into a gas station. Maybe it was "be nice to Ferraris day".

To the rest of the thread:

Having been on both sides of the equation now, and having gotten the "How much is it?" question about 20 times in 5 days from all my friends and family, I can understand what you all are talking about. There's a lot of negative feeling from people here about fielding questions about their cars; but I think those questions are what differentiate Ferraris from every other car around.

Those people who ask about your car are interested in it. Fascinated, enthralled, thrilled, excited, positive. Except for that Prius-driving lady - she was an idiot. Thing is, why do you drive the F-car? Why buy it in the first place? Isn't it because you felt the same way? These admirers want to know if they could afford one. They want to know if the experience of owning one is as awesome as they imagine. They wonder what the downside is. Why not toss them a bone and be nice?

I applaud the guys and gals who are willing to dish a little, because I always wanted to ask those questions. Heck, I'd still like to know what average maintenance cost is on a 360 vs. a 430, having given up on the idea of a 355.

Are questions about your car from admirers really "tiresome", "annoying", and "intrusive"? Then why drive the F-car that day? It comes with admirers. You can get a GTR or a BMW if you want a fast car. But nobody will notice you. Nobody will approach you. Nobody will care.

You arrive in a Ferrari, and you'll be admired. Yes, the person asking you about your car admires you. What's not to enjoy about that?

We get a chuckle or a smile out of the obnoxious responses, but those end up poisoning the positive feeling the other guy had. Maybe if you wake up feeling like questions would bug you, take a different car out that day.

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Asking people how much something costs is rude.

If they guess, they usually guess high. :cool:

Sometimes I say: I don't know... my girlfriend bought it for me as special surprise! If my wife knew how much it costs she'd really be pissed. LOL

25. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    Very well said, we were all in the same position at some point, and I've always asked exotic car owners about their cars and got a friendly response, now that I have a Ferrari I am always happy to talk about my car with anyone interested, it makes my day.