Do you let your friends drive your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Do you let your friends drive your Ferrari?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I use to have no issue with letting my very close friends the chance to drive my cars. I have had some fun cars over the last 30 years.

I kind of stopped that practice with my Dodge Challenger Hellcat. 707 hp for someone not use to it could end up very bad. One guy totaled his brand new Hellcat on the drive home from the dealer.

Now with the 458 I just feel it is too expensive and this particular car was very hard to find with the exact options/color I want.

I have 2 friends that keep saying they are going to drive it and I just keep brushing them off. "Your not covered by my insurance".

How do you handle this?

2. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I used to let them until a friend took it for a ride lost control and burned it to the ground. I was sued within a week. I don't recommend it.

3. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    no way, just stick to the insurance policy... Nobody else but the wife and i are insured. We all work way too hard to have something taken from us..

4. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    I used to let good friends drive my GT3. No chance on my 458.

Attached Files:

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Letting someone drive your Ferrari is like letting someone sleep with your wife and hope nothing happens.

iloveferrari and x-tremetuning like this.
  6. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Yup, with me in the car only.

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i let my family/close friends drive/borrow my 911s but let a smaller group drive the F430. If its a true car guy i generally don't mind. If i had a 458 or something over $150k i probably would say no unless they got an insurance rider

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It really depends on the car and the friend. As much as I love my cars, they are not my wife! I am happy to share (where I deem appropriate) my car passion with my friends...

Imak, Dave rocks, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    No, because most people don't know that tires need to be warmed up to achieve maximum traction. They start the car then floor it coming out of a corner and cuss at the car for spinning out...

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I do that too ... it's just a car imo. And it's no issue for the Insurance in our country.

Even my wife has driven in the 458 once :D :D

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've said this before, but the question I ask myself is - what would be my reaction if this person told me that they crashed my F-car? If it's "Are you OK?" then it's fine, they can drive. If it's "What the @%#! did you do to my Ferrari?" Then, no. That limits the possibilities to wife, best friends and my dog, and the latter ain't asked for the keys yet. :) At the end of the day, it's just a possession - an awesome one - but just a possession...T

12. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Depends on the friends themselves. I used to let this friend drive all of my toys including my last California T. But man, he drove like he stole it, with me in it. Then for the 458, I basically just told him no more because the car is so twitchy...i think he got it, as he does not ask anymore.

Although it's just a car, but it is also a weapon on the road if someone does not know how to operate it, with insurance or not.

13. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    agreed.....

14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My friends do not ask and that's the way I like it. I have never had to say no.

15. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I've let all my close friends and family take her for a spin only if they asked. Only one of those friends pushed it to where I regretted allowing it.

16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I never drive my friends car(s) (any type of car). That way I don't feel any obligation to let them drive mine.

It becomes a hard stop anyways when I tell them about the insurance restrictions.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Simple. Never.

18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild follow my dads rule, lend your wife out but never your tools or toys :)

20. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Wow, sorry to hear but sounds like an interesting story. What happened and what did you get sued for and by whom?

21. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    The only people that are not covered by your insurance policy are people living in your household who are not listed on the policy. Friends, neighbors, valet guys, strangers-- are all covered by an insurance policy (at least for any policy I have ever seen in the USA).

Dave rocks likes this.
  22. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I let any family members and friends drive my Ferraris. Why not? It's a car and it is covered by insurance. Share the love!

Dave rocks likes this.
  23. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    check your insurance policy and talk to your broker or insurance company. Agreed value policy (aka collectors insurance) is very restrictive). Many people have found out the hard way when someone else drove the car and got into an accident.

Don't even do track ride alongs. You don't want your estate on hook in case of an accident.

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/24/4-5-million-awarded-in-porsche-carrera-gt-case/

Over two years ago a crash involving a Porsche Carrera GT during a Ferrari Owner's Club track day killed two event participants when they hit the wall at over 100 mph while trying to avoid a Ferrari merging onto the front straightaway. The driver and Carrera GT owner was Ben Keaton, an avid automotive enthusiast who regularly shared his wisdom on the website 6SpeedOnline.com. The car's passenger was Corey Rudl, a prospective Carrera GT buyer who wanted to take a ride. The tragic loss of these two lives brought out a great debate in the safety of California Speedway's tight infield road course, the responsibility of the event organizers, and the design of the Porsche Carrera GT itself.

While the track event participates signed waivers noting that they were aware of the inherent dangers associated with driving at high speeds on a closed course, those waivers were dependent on who was found to be negligent in the event of an incident. Tracy Rudl, the wife of passenger Corey Rudl, filed a lawsuit claiming gross negligence by many parties associated with the track event. She recently received a settlement of approximately $4.5 million. The contributing parties to the settlement fund were 2% from the merging Ferrari driver, 8% from Porsche, 41% from California Speedway and Ferrari Owner's Club and finally 49% from the Carrera GT driver's estate.

[Source: Sports Car Market Magazine]
    Stories such as this one can greatly divide opinion. On one hand, two guys lost their lives voluntarily participating in a dangerous event. On the other hand, the extent of the damage could have been reduced, if not completely avoided, by greater thought and care on the part of the race track and event organizers in the areas of visibility and pit-in/pit-out coordination. Then there's the debate about how safe the Porsche Carrera GT is to drive at high speeds. Hopefully the result of this lawsuit will not scare off other event organizers due to liability, but merely cause them to put more thought into eliminating potential safety issues.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've let other Fchatters drive my cars. In fact I've invited them to. I don't see the big deal.

Melvok and Dave rocks like this.