Do you wax over the clear bra? | FerrariChat

Do you wax over the clear bra?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mwct, Aug 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    For those of you who have a clear bra, do you wax over it? It seems kind of pointless but I know many people do it anyway. Is there a real benefit to waxing over the bra other than convenience (i.e. not having to avoid the bra during waxing)? I am having the whole hood of my car clear-bra'd so I am wondering if I could just skip waxing that entire portion.

2. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    i'm told by a detailer not to wax over clear bra, but to use a different item called a sealer.

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Use Plexus on the clearbra.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Premier Protective Film (clear bra) once told me when they did my car that you treat, wash, wax, polish the clear bra the same a if
    you would without it.

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I heard the same. The only problem I have found is that the wax collects and builds up around the corners of the clear bra, and is a pain in the butt to remove.

I am probably going to start using Plexus for that reason.

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Waxing over the bra is a frustrating experience. Definitely do not try to buff it to a high gloss because it won't happen. I nearly buffed all the stuff off trying to get a gloss going there that matched the rest of the car. It also seems a bit resiliant to the touch. Also don't try to polish the stuff either. Ask me how I came to these conclusions...

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Vince, so what your saying is don't try to buff? :D:D:D You didn't mess anything up did you?

8. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I use Plexus as my quick fix and my detailer uses Rejex. :)

9. GENERAL LEE

GENERAL LEE Karting

Nov 27, 2006
    Oklahoma
    That's what I use. What an easy to use, long lasting product.

It's somewhat irrelevant as long as you don't use some acid/corrosive type product, which is ridiculous. If water won't remove the "spot", I consult my detailer that I've used for my last 3 cars.

10. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You could skip waxing it, many people do. But a coat of wax on the clear bra keeps it looking nice and helps it to last longer. Also bugs are easier to remove when it's waxed. Wax it like you would the rest of the car with a paint sealant, i.e. Rejex. Some scratches/marks can be buffed out, but don't try it unless you know what you're doing.

:D

11. carwasher

carwasher Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jon Rose
    It is important to keep a coat of way on your paint protection film. This will help keep the pores closed and prevent the film from picking up dirt, bugs, and pollution. Plexus used to be recommended but it was found that Plexus, when it dries, turns yellow. This can cause discoloration. You can use whatever wax you are using on the rest of your vehicle. We recommend Meguairs NXT wax at my shop. We are paint protection film installers.

12. FAST360

FAST360 Karting

Jan 26, 2009
    My installer told me to wax it together with the car. Said it helps prevent the film from turning yellow. So far so good.

13. Premier Protective Films

Premier Protective Films Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    Waxing is not necessary for the film nor is it beneficial. Usage of Plexus can dry out its pores with butane and cause premature yellowing as well. Application of a high-grade sealant would be recommended.

14. justaferrari

justaferrari Rookie

Mar 12, 2009
    You want to care for your PPF as you would the balance of the paint. Many warranty cards have a care and maintenance section on them. That being said, DO NOT use plexus...that was a recommendation back in the day...tests have been done on that product and this caused film yellowing over time - some folks have mentioned this above. Waxing is a generic term..wax sealants etc. Use poly or acrylic sealants over carnauba based products and make sure there are without petroleum distillates (PD)..there are some CAS # which are acceptable...however for ease of use for the retail consumer use a sealant without PD.. You can also apply a coating to the top of the film...there are various types of coatings.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Use a coating, e.g. 22ple, it will last up to 3 years versus waxing it every other month.