Draining gas tank 1998 550 | FerrariChat

Draining gas tank 1998 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by robert_fulton, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    There's a longer story behind this (of course), but is ther anything I need to know about draining fuel from the apparent drain plug on the 550?
    Thanks for your input.
    Robert

2. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Be careful not the strip the bolt or threads.

When we serviced 550 pumps in the past, we had customers use as much of the fuel as possible to minimize the amount of fuel needed to be drained. We also had to vacuum the rubber bits once the pumps were removed.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The fuel will not flow out of the drain very well unless you remove the gas cap.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I drain tanks all the time for racecars because we need to us isotagged fuels for scrutineering. A very small amount left will cause a failure to pass the scrut tests. What I do is run the fuel out from a hose onto the fuel rail schrader valve. There is no mess that way and you can run the fuel into legal gas cans without spilling a drop. Imo the safety goes up too when done this way.

5. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've done it. It makes a big freaking mess, unless you have a very convoluted receptacle to collect it in. And once you start, there's no way to stop the fuel draining by putting the plug back in; it comes out very fast. So be prepared with the correct sized receptacle.

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is what I did and as I recall there was over 4 gallons left when the pump stopped picking up. I took the pumps out and, jacked up one front corner and pumped the remaining gas out with an accessory pump then mopped up the rest. This was on level ground.

7. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    I was wondering if that would work...
    Just hook up the fuel rail to container and turn on ignition?
    Robert

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You will need to jump the fuel pump relays in order to get the pumps to run all the time.
    They are under the passenger footplate. And there should be a legend there or in the owners manual telling you which relay does what. There will be two relays, one for the right side of the motor and one for the left. Pull the relay and look at the bottom of it: Ter. 30 is power into the relay, Ter. 87 is power out to the fuel pump. Make a jumper wire with two male spades on it, plug it into those two terminals in the relay socket and the pump will run.

9. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I appreciate your taking the time to help!
    Robert