Early 3500 GT style changes - When? | FerrariChat

Early 3500 GT style changes - When?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Wizz, Sep 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wizz

Wizz Rookie

May 24, 2014
    I have purchased a rather unoriginal 3500 GT from 1960.
    Starting disassembly for restoration, I am seeing a questionable mix of details, some of which seem to be typical of earlier cars, some of which are just plain questionable.
    I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about these things.

I am sure there are exceptions, it's rare to find two cars exactly alike.
    That being said, at approximately what date and/or chassis number did the following changes take place?

(Note, I am not an expert. I have no doubt betrayed vast ignorance in some of these questions.
    Please be gentle when you correct my bad assumptions)

(1) Switch from one large single side window to front quarter window + side window. Maybe between cars 058 and 202 in 1958?
    Maybe some were made like this later on, perhaps on request?
    (the switch to two quarter windows, front and rear, was much later--different question).

(2) Addition of side marker lights. I heard late 1959?

(3) Switch from earlier/smaller SIEM tail lights to later/larger ones.
    First row versus second row here http://www.heinbrand.com/en/maserati/3500/rear-lights-3500

(3) Touring switching "normal practice" of tagging body parts with the Touring body number (or last few digits of the body number) to using the Maserati chassis number (or last few digits of the chassis).
    Was there really ever a strict rule? If so, were there known or notable exceptions?

(4) Switch from rear license lights left and right of the license to the ones on the bumper shining up.

(5) Change of nose shape (I heard that some very early cars were lower)?

(6) Changes to the Superleggera members forming the roof. (addition of at least a member or two).

(7) Switch from smaller to larger trunk script. About 1960?

(8) Fine mesh grille. I heard this was only 1957-1958?

(9) In early cars, was there ever a change to the shape of the leading edge of the doors, or how wide they opened?

(10) Change in steering wheel hub bolt pattern

(11) For any of the above, were they really just changes for different delivery markets rather than different production dates?

...and anything else visible that I might have missed. Finish on top of dash, anything else obvious.
    Changes in mechanical specification are a whole separate topic.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Jim