Effective 3/5/2017: Ad posting limits in Parts & Collectibles | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Effective 3/5/2017: Ad posting limits in Parts & Collectibles

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by ylshih, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    TBH, hadn't considered the case of WTB ads and the possibly lengthy search for rare parts. The problem with rare parts being that you could also be bumping for the next few years, which seems kind of excessive.

I see that you've had 5 exposures of your WTB since 2/22. The original ad, 3 bumps and a forum post under the special user exemption. So at least for the time being, it seems you've had pretty decent exposure for 3 weeks.

So seeing a few or many posts all together doesn't mean that the new rules are being violated. Ad creation is limited to 1 per day. If you see a 0 on the reply count and they are all together, it means that they were all created together. Otherwise, if replies are greater than 0, you have to check the date of posting on post #1 for each thread to see if there is a violation. Also, if there are simultaneous replies by the OP, you have to check the content of the last post to see if it is a gratuitous bump or a substantive post, such as a price reduction.

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Fair enough, but WTB ads seem to get buried under all the FS ads. I would like to do an occasional bump without resorting to some kind of ruse to meet the "change in post content" rule, but I'll just let it ride.

But if anybody knows of a nice set of 7.5x14 Campys for sale...
    I kid! I kid! :D

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Hmmmm
    Could start a want to buy section(s)
    ;)

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That's what I was getting to but I didn't want to "start something"...,,,:D

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Dear Yin,
    What about a situation like mine where I'm selling multiples of the same item? I don't "bump" often, once a week at most, but when I do I almost always get new people who want to buy them.

Unlike some sellers who offer a variety of individual items and bump til each one sells, I am offering multiples of the same item. But each "bump" seems to reach a new audience, at least to some degree.

Do I need to create a new version of the advertisement every week, instead of a bump?

To flip the coin and look at it from a possible buyers POV, there is a seller here who has a long running thread selling keychains. I saw that thread due to one of his bumps, and I was happy to do so. I bought one of the keychains. But I had missed it on the first few go-arounds, because I don't check the for sale sections daily. If that seller hadn't been allowed to bump or repost the item, I'd never have got a key chain that I like very much, and he'd never have got the $22.

Since I'm guessing there are a few people here who fall into this boat of selling multiples of the same item, I'm asking publicly how to deal with it.

Thanks
    Dave

obertRo likes this.
  6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Simple… reduce the price $0.0000000000000001 / week! ;)

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha. I'm assuming obvious "this week 50 cents more, next week 50 cents less" would be equally annoying to the mods and/or enough of a transparent get-around of the rules to warrant a violation. I'm guessing/hoping that there can be a workable solution for people like myself who sell inexpensive multiples that wouldn't require the pantomime of going through the motions to avoid violation.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I fear of price erosion ;) you could also alternate between raising and lowering the price by above amount :) ;)

9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Your situation sounds like what I'm calling a storefront thread. You have one item for sale, but continuously sell it. It seems to me that you have natural opportunities to refresh your thread (not gratuitously bump) due to the ongoing conduct of business. In the case of the multi-item storefront, adding new items of stock, answering questions, taking orders, deleting sold items from stock lists, and repricing stagnant items on stock lists provides an informative series of updates as to what's going on in your store. In the case of the single-item storefront, taking orders and posting fulfillment would also be reasonable opportunities to refresh your thread. Remember, a major reason advertisers were bumping all the time was because everyone else was doing it and an advertiser fell off the first few pages very quickly because of that. With fewer threads and bump restrictions, a moderately active thread should persist for much longer.

Also, the advertisers that are trying to argue for more bandwidth may be missing the fact that the site is trying to balance competing interests throughout the forum, including the users of the site that are interested in few or perhaps even none of the items in the classified ads. Some advertisers may not realize it, but classified ads do leak through into the forums because many users use "Get New Posts" to see what's going on throughout the forum. Those users that do so frequently got blasted with tens of ads at a time for parts & collectibles that drowned out the content threads. The site routinely advises sponsors, despite their ad privileges, not to do advertising blasts because it ruins the browsing experience for a significant portion of users.

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    The advertiser with this "bright" idea would probably find their ban would be the reciprocal of the price change. :cool:

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So in a case like that since you are allowed one ad post per day couldn't you just copy-paste-repost the ad every day?

12. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #37 ylshih, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    See:

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I kinda figured that but I read that as don't double post in multiple forums. I don't really care I don't post much for sale stuff. So I guess in a case like he was mentioning you'd have to come up with some creative way around the no bumping then.

14. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    reasonable bump-age I think serves the community, for the reason stated.

2 cents, (no price drop!)

15. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams

Hahaha

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    What about people who have multiple ads at the same time and go through and bump them all at one time so that all of their ads go to the top of the classifieds at once?

It is in the same vein as people who put several posts in one day for someone to go and bump multiple ads. In my opinion, it's no different. I know that gratuitous bumping is not allowed but I still see people do it.

Also, I don't know why people have multiple ads with parts for the same car when they can just do one ad with multiple parts titled "360 interior parts" or something and then update it when one of the items sells or there's a change. No gratuitous bumping yet it could keep coming up and the classifieds isn't littered with a bunch of ads from the same user.

17. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #42 red tommy, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017
    Does anybody understand the new rules? Will there be a training weekend somewhere on a nice place? Would there additonal mods necessary to check each ad and compare it with the new rules? ������

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Yes, it would be possible for someone to feed 30 ads into the classifieds, 1 per day, over the course of a month then refresh them all at the same time on the 31'st day. That is an additional reason for the "substantive post" requirement. If they're going to do that they're going to have to work for it (add content) or give something up (reduce price). We'll also be on the lookout for shills.

Users should also remember that these changes are intended to restore the degraded browsing experience of the vast majority of users. The message is "enough is enough". If some advertisers remain intent on "gaming" the system, the moderation will adapt.

I agree. If users title threads "360 interior parts" or "Ferrari Owner's Manuals for most models" or "Ferrari literature and memorabilia", it would be instantly obvious what's in that thread and would draw people in that were interested to check out the items and the uninterested just move on. Users that have to read through 30 thread titles quickly transition to checking the thread starter name and skipping over any thread with that name without even reading the thread title. All it serves to do is to annoy a lot of users.

19. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Those aren't the new rules, that was a simple algorithm as to the indicators to check if you wanted to assist a moderator by sending a /!\. It actually took me just 2 minutes to review this morning's main page and delete 1 thread and 2 posts as violations. Longer than it took to compose this post.

The rules advertisers have to observe are:

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So when my ad gets pushed ten pages back I can't bump it back up?

21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Please read what has been posted before:

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm just happy to have a place to thin out my junk collection.

23. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Please check again the sales corner ... there are again several multiple ads! Is this allowed based on the new rules? Sorry but I am really confused what is allowed now and what not.

24. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    They're not allowed. But you have to give a moderator time to see to it. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#50 dm_n_stuff, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017