Emissions and fuel octane | FerrariChat

Emissions and fuel octane

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Spyder-Man, Apr 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi, question. I have the yearly MOT test tomorrow for the QV. Question is, will emissions be better if the car is running using higher octane fuel. 98 RON as opposed to 95 RON

Or, no real difference?

Experts or no non experts, shout out!

Cheers
    Rob

2. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    ensure the car is fully warmed up first, by taking it for a good run out.

I don't think 98 will make any difference, assuming the carbs are set for that.

3. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    The only thing that dictates required octane level for a naturally aspirated engine is compression ratio. Assuming your car hasn't had its compression ratio altered (highly unlikely), increasing the octane level beyond what is normally required will do absolutely nothing.

-mick

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Rob the gentleman , two posters, gave you good advice. Most of the state tests only require the exhaust pollution is as required the year the car left the factory. It makes sense you cannot expect a 1953 Corvette to ever have the same exhaust as a new Corvette. So with good plugs and tune up you should be okay.

Some of the cars that do not have a vin number and are manufactured by a MDO or manufacturing direct order are different. Cars like the Arial Atom. In that case call the manufacturer and they will help you.

Do not worry things will work out :)

Best

Lee

5. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Good advice indeed. My thanks to you all.

Kind regards
    Rob

6. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    one advantage Super (97/98) gives you over normal (95) is the octane rating stays higher, if you leave petrol in the tank for a while, so whilst both degrade with time, the 98 is starting in a higher place.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #7 leead1, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Personally I just use Stabil in my gas. You can buy it at any car parts store. Modern gas only lasts for 3 months after the gas leaves the refinery than it starts to turn to varnish and than it becomes gelled. This is for any octane of fuel.

I have used Stabil in all of my cars for over two decades and it has worked well. I have no affiliation with the company only a customer. At one point I owned 16 cars and some did not get driven very much some as little as 100 miles a year.

The poster may be right I just never heard it before. I have heard that marine gas stays a viable gas longer.That makes sense to me but I really do not know and it is more expensive than car gas.

Best

Lee