Evaluation of Purflux Oil Filter (Ferrari PN 197654) as used on 348, 355, 360, F50... | FerrariChat

Evaluation of Purflux Oil Filter (Ferrari PN 197654) as used on 348, 355, 360, F50...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve Magnusson, Feb 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Since we have/had been discussing possible substitutes for the TR UFI oil filter from Baldwin (and I’m still working on that), FChatter icecar-1 graciously sent me his used 355 oil filter for autopsy/analysis to see if we might also be able to find a Baldwin equivalent for that one.

THE GOOD NEWS is that the Purflux 197654 is a very high-quality construction full-flow filter, that not only has every desirable internal feature for an inverted mounting application:

Anti-Drainback Valve
    Standpipe
    Resettable spring-loaded Bypass Valve

these features are executed using extremely good design. Even though the ~$40 price seems a little high, IMO it is a much more reasonable value than the TR UFI oil filter that costs twice as much and is just a simple filter element inside a metal can!

THE BAD NEWS is that, in order to reduce the overall length of 197654, yet not reduce the area of the filter media inside, the filter media material is pleated in a more complex 3D pattern (vs the usual 2D pattern of most oil filters). This makes it very unlikely IMO that an equivalent substitute will ever be found as other manufacturers (of both cars and filters) do not usually put such a high priority on reducing physical size as Ferrari (but I will still ask my technical contact at Baldwin) – i.e., a typical oil filter of the same overall size as Purflux 197654 will have a smaller filter media area inside.

Here are some details/facts/photos:

OUTER DIMENSIONS:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ANTI-DRAINBACK VALVE (ADV) – While most ADVs are just a simple flat sheet of rather thick rubber, this ADV is a 3D molded shape with specific design features to enhance sealing. The material is also much softer and more-pliable than most ADVs (which should also enhance sealing performance). In fact, even though this used filter was not always held in its usual gasket-end-down orientation during shipment, it was still nearly fully filled with oil when I received it:

STANDPIPE – Even the Standpipe had some good features – being stepped down at the top so as to minimize any obstruction of the inner surface of the filter media, and a perforated support ring mounted inside the filter cartridge to minimize any deflection of the free end of the Standpipe:

BYPASS VALVE – Not only is the Bypass Valve a high-quality, resettable, spring-loaded design like on the Baldwin B253, the movable plunger has a rubber coating on top so it’s fully sealed when closed with zero leakage. The calculated differential opening pressure seems a little high to me, but I can only make the force measurement at room temperature. Could be that the coil spring material holding the Bypass Valve closed is like that used in a coolant thermostat so the force to open may be dependent on temperature. Another nice feature is that they have a metal wire mesh filter screen dome over the inlet to the Bypass Valve (to prevent anything really large from entering the engine even if the Bypass Valve is open):

FILTER MEDIA – As mentioned above, the Filter Media in the Purflux 197654 is pleated in a 3D pattern rather than the typical 2D pattern. The 3D pattern (cleverly) gets more area into the same volume vs the 2D pattern:

The bottom line summary is that the Purflux 197654 is essentially a high-quality B253 but just in a shorter can (and a different size mounting thread). I’m not hopeful, but I’ll report back any comments/information that I get from Baldwin. Even if we could accept having less filter media area inside, nothing presently on the Baldwin website has the right overall dimensions/thread and an ADV, Standpipe, and Bypass Valve (Baldwin B7424 is close but has no Standpipe).

Here’s the assembly sequence:

Step 1 – Front Plate

Step 2 – Anti-Drainback Valve

Step 3 – Standpipe

Step 4 – Filter Cartridge with Bypass Valve

Step 5 – Wire Mesh Filter Screen

Step 6 – Coil Spring

Step 7 – Outer Case

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Excellent work Steve, thanks for posting this.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to convert our older cars that use the B253 to this Purflux item!

:)

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    How interesting! Thanks for sharing!

4. Choice

Choice Rookie

May 15, 2010
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter Hobson
    Excellent post Steve.

One reason for remaining with the OE filter (and, it's attendant "please sit down Sir before I tell you the price!" comment), is, that if any engine/filter problems ensue during a production run then the manufacturer will /should take the necessary action with design mods and ensure that existing parts stocks are withdrawn/replaced, in the field, with appropriate new upgrades asap.

With filtration, be it air,fuel,oil etc, manufacturers spend an inordinate amount of time with the filtration people working out what paper micron sizes are required, plus, the volume of paper needed to offer a resonable oil filter change period with an acceptable additional amount,for the occasional dilatory customer.

With many Ferrari's you will note that the oil filter assemblies are inverted, Steve has pointed out some salient features that are 'built in' on the OE units and are of paramount importance for our engines.

It is therefore very important to make sure that the technical spec of a non-OE item mirrors that of the original manufacturer. Ask questions and if you have any doubts - dont!

I spent most of my working life with engine manufacturers, I know how cheap filters can really be, but, I must admit I have not deviated from the OE standard - I'm paying the bills and filters are cheaper than engines!

5. jhfields

jhfields Karting

Jun 2, 2010
    paducah ky.
    Full Name:
    John H Fields
    Great work Steve your the man!

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Excellent report Steve, The Purflux filters are a quality product and considering how relatively infrequently someone needs to purchase one, not really a budget buster for most owners.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Steve, awesome post, thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing this detailed analysis.

Dave

8. VOJA

VOJA Rookie

Jan 8, 2016
    HI guys, I just note that someone said that B7424 have no stand pipe.
    WRONG !!!!
    BETTER SEE DESCRIPTION OR VISIT THE LINK

Product Guide B7274

Descriptions: Lube Spin-on
    Contains: 20 PSID By-Pass Valve
    Standpipe
    Fits: J.C. Bamford Equipment
    Replaces: J.C. Bamford 32/915500; Woodgate WGL9035
    Thread: 1-12
    O.D.: 3 11/16 (93.7)
    Length: 4 3/8 (111.1)

GOOD LUCK VOJA

9. murat

murat Rookie

Nov 16, 2009
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Murat Okcuoglu
    I have a question,
    the last two filters I purchased for my F430 came with oil inside
    I am told that that is how these filters are sold now,
    It makes no sense to me, but who knows?
    would you have any insight?

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't argue with you that the Baldwin Filters specification page for B7424 now shows that it does have a standpipe; whereas, ~4 years ago that wasn't shown.

If you ever cut one open, would be interested in how the filter media construction compares to the Purflux (and to confirm it does have a standpipe and that isn't just a catalog misprint ;)).

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One point is that they have to do a pressure and leakage test on every filter made. I thought that they used a gas for this, but maybe they've changed to using a liquid for the test -- just a thought...

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I got a question and I am serious....does it matter? For years we used crappy fram ph2804-1 on 308's. The standpipe seal thing was a joke. Those filters were 9 out of 10 times dry sitting overnight. Even if there is 3/4 qt of oil in there the rest of the oil is all drained out of the heads. When a car starts up it is still going to be basically dry and 3/4 of a qt splash isn't going to do much. We did not see excessive wear or early motor death. Luckily 550's have 2 filters at the lowest point in the engine so there is always oil in those filters. We can run billet Canton filter bodies and 8micron canton paper filters with great filtration and no pressure loss. Considering my experience owning and maintaining 2 308 variants I bet a canton filter without stand pipe or ADV would work just fine. Canton might even make a filter with ADV I have never looked. One thing for certain is they make filter bodies with just about every filter thread ever made

13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #13 porphy, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    I have found several errors in the Mann oil filter catalog (confirmed later by Mann, they listed an equivalent filter for the Purflux 197654 but when I ordered the threads were 16 instead of 12); so beware of catalog details.

I agree with the fat man's comment above (sorry about using Ernie's name for you). I have also measured the time difference in attaining pressure in a cold motor between a purflux 197654 and a Mann W 13/1? which has no standpipe and no anti-drainback valve and the difference to full pressure is about 1.5 seconds in my Mondial T. I would suggest that such a difference is insignificant in oil pressure delay.

The Mann equivalent for the Baldwin B7274 is WD 920/3 and has the Anti Drainback Valve. No standpipe is mentioned. All of this info is in their catalogue so please use with caution. It seems to be a filter for Britsh-made trucks and forklifts, so heavy duty use, but I have tried to source it in the US but I only get UK suppliers. The reported measurements in the catalogue indicate the right threads, diameter, length, etc. http://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Hydraulic%20Transmission%20Filter/WD%20920~3

There is also a cross reference to the Baldwin B7274 from Fleetguard HF35235. It looks like a Cummins product but the price I have found (approx. $90) is not competitive.

14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Correction Fleetgard Filter: Price approx. $63

15. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Thanks for this info. I've always wondered why the Purflux filter for my 430 costs so much--looks like a $5 Fram painted black. I assumed it's no better, just the low production numbers, but maybe it is better too? Does the same company own Fram and Purflux, as I've heard?

16. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Not sure about ownership. I always thought Purflux was a French company but I could be behind the times.

I have found a site that lists equivalent filters for the Baldwin B 7274. Here is the list. It looks like that these filters have heavy duty hydraulic applications. Any problems with mixing oil filtering with hydraulic fluid filtering? They should be carefully evaluated before assuming they are the same as the Baldwin B7274. The formatting is not good but I hope you can sort it out.

Interchange Parts for BALDWIN B7274
    Brand Sku Type Name Relevance
    MANN-FILTER WD 920/3 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission MANN-FILTER WD 920/3 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Direct Details»

UNIFLUX FILTERS XH446 Filter, operating hydraulics UNIFLUX FILTERS XH446 Filter, operating hydraulics Direct Details»

WIX FILTERS 51247 Filter, operating hydraulics WIX FILTERS 51247 Filter, operating hydraulics Indirect Details»

FLEETGUARD HF35139 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission FLEETGUARD HF35139 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Indirect Details»

FLEETGUARD HF6119 Filter, operating hydraulics FLEETGUARD HF6119 Filter, operating hydraulics Indirect Details»

DONALDSON P551756 Filter, operating hydraulics DONALDSON P551756 Filter, operating hydraulics Indirect Details»

DONALDSON P 55-2819 Oil Filter DONALDSON P 55-2819 Oil Filter Indirect Details»

BENFORD 1586-1402 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission BENFORD 1586-1402 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Indirect Details»
    J
    CB (BAMFORD) 32/915500 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission JCB (BAMFORD) 32/915500 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Indirect Details»

JCB (BAMFORD) 581/18063 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission JCB (BAMFORD) 581/18063 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Indirect Details»

CHAMP LFP2303 Filter, operating hydraulics CHAMP LFP2303 Filter, operating hydraulics Indirect Details»

ALCO FILTER SP-1307 Hydraulic Filter, steering system ALCO FILTER SP-1307 Hydraulic Filter, steering system Indirect Details»

TEREX 15861402 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission TEREX 15861402 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Indirect Details»

BALDWIN BT9561 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission BALDWIN BT9561 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Indirect Details»

LUBER FINER LFP 2303 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission LUBER FINER LFP 2303 Hydraulic Filter, automatic transmission Indirect Details»

17. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
  18. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    this makes sense

19. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    very informative.....thks for posting the thread

20. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    I too was shocked when I bought my first oil filter and thought the cost was because the name Ferrari was on the filter and the box. I thought this was a compounding effect of too many middlemen taking profits from the sale of one filter. I too wanted to cross reference the filter to something closer to what other brands cost at the retail level. I know see that there was some specialized development that went into them design. My time is better spent doing anything else and I will continue to purchase OEM filters.

Thanks Steve Magnusson for your work on this subject.

21. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I agree they are a great product and never considered deviating from the OEM...& this thread just validates that original decision.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have had Ferrari step up and pay 100% for a motor rebuild on a car 20 years out of warranty due to a filter failure. All I needed to do was prove my purchase from a FNA dealer. They wrote a big check.

How many filter suppliers are going to do that?

23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    So Purflux filters fail like all others regardless of the extensive development and testing?

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Anything can fail.

25. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009