Exhaust Valve Bypass Controller

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by bisel, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ATTENTION: http/https Bug Fix! Most of us have been experiencing problems staying logged in as we navigate the site. That is simply the result of links varying between http and https, which each require different logons. To resolve we are going to force https starting sometime Wednesday. However, you may have problems accessing FerrariChat until after you log out, clear cookies/browser cache, and log back on. Keep in mind my email is admin@ferrarichat.com if you do have access problems after Wednesday. Thanks!
  1. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #1 bisel, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello All,

I am trying to start my little cottage industry and have created an Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller Kit for the Ferrari and Maserati vehicles that have factory installed exhaust bypass valves ... actually the vacuum solenoids that control the bypass valves.

Capristo makes remote controllers ... $650 ... mine is far less $$ and actually can be configured to use either a remote control transmitter (key fob) or to use a manual on/off switch to be installed in the passenger compartment.

I have made up a few of the units now and two people have acquired them ... I am awaiting comments. I have also installed this on my own car (a 2004 360 Modena). Everything is plug and play. No wiring mods. No splicing into any wiring. No drilling of holes.

I am not going to get rich with this endeavor ... but I retired 6 months ago and this might keep me off the streets and out of trouble.

Would love to hear from fellow Ferrari owners and I invite you visit my web site ... Forza Componenti
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    I have looked at Steve's module in detail and it's a lot more than just a remote switch. He has taken care to isolate the kit from the car's electronics and consider the environment it will be operating in - as such I believe it to be completely safe to fit. It is also very nicely made.

Far, far better than the other kit out there which is simply a cheap Chinese switch and a couple of junior power timer connectors.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Aldous- Not to mention it also comes with a connector for a hard wire switch that I will hook to my unused European rear fog light switch. Just got my kit this week.

4. dogstar6

dogstar6 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I see on your site that you have instructions for the 360, any for the 355?

5. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #5 bisel, Mar 29, 2014
    I went live with this product only in the last week. So, only have people wiith the 360, F430 and 575M so far. Although have not yet written specific instructions for any other than 360. I will be making updates as I get more photos and installation experiences.

Although I do not have specific instructions for the 355, it should be relatively easy. The 355 has only one bypass valve and solenoid. The solenoid vacuum valve is located lower right (I believe). Since only one valve, you need to use only one of the connector cables ... similar to 550 and 575. You connect to the cable with the red band on the control unit. All other instructions for installation will follow 360.

I have attached an illustration of the 355 exhaust valve setup. I believe that if you can find room to install the control unit near the ECU ... that would be ideal place for it. Then route the connector cable from there down to the vacuum solenoid valve ... although components are heat resistant, still best to try to keep everything as far away as possible from high heat (e.g. cats and exhaust header).

By the way, on the 355 the sound will be absolutely glorious! In bypass mode, not only is the silencer bypassed, but the larger cats are also bypassed. I have heard it said that in bypass mode, the 355 is one of the best sounding Ferrari's on the road.

Steve

6. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    For those of you in the Phoenix area ...

I plan to be at the Cars and Coffee on Saturday, March 5th. I am going to be bringing several of the kits and I will be able to give you a demo of the product and show the installation process.

Hope to see you there.

Steve

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Hi Steve

I've the Capristo controller installed in my 360 Modena.
    Although written in the manual there is no configuration to start the engine with open valves.

In my opinion the valves should be open without applying vacuum (engine off) and start close as soon the engine starts => using a controller it should be possible to start the engine with open valves.

What is your controllers behavior regarding this topic?

Thanks,
    Marco

9. galt

galt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 19, 2005
    What would be great is a clone remote control unit for the capristo unit that can just slot into a dummy switch in the f430

10. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    I thought that the 360 started with the bypass open and after a few minutes (4 perhaps?) of warmup, the valve closes and the revs drop to idle.

That seems to be what my system does when it's cold anyway.

11. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    You are correct.

Regards,

Steve

12. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Note that if you run this open on the 355 you will get a slow down light as the car will think it's overheating due to the thermocoupler getting too much heat when it detects the valve should be closed.

The trick - remove the bulb which is what I did and don't run it open for long periods of time or it will go into limp mode. No such probs on my 360 as it doesn't have a thermocoupler.

13. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Steve

When my car hasn't been used for a certain time, the valves are open during the engine starts. They close after 1 or 2 seconds.
    But when I restart the engine on the same day, the engine starts quiet...it seems the valves are closed during restart.
    As I remember I already tried to press the remote control after ignition was on without any effect. It only works after the engine has startet.
    But need to check again....anyway thanks for your support.

Marco

14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I have been thinking about the Capriisto system, so I'll be curious to see how others like this set up....

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    Hey Steve...I'm just seeing this...first off...AWESOME and THANKS for creating this switch. Very cool! I wish you much success with it.

I may look into it when I get my CS down to AZ later this year.

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    I just read your website...and I realized I really need this on the Maser Gransport I have.

I have to drive it in "sport" mode because the shifting on the F1 sucks (a lot) if not. But, "sport" also bring open exhaust valves all the time. And, with its cross plane crank it is very, very boomy at idle. I usually flip the sport switch on and off whenever I'm sitting still, like morning warmup and even at stop lights. *IF* this switch will allow me to leave the sport button on (better shifting) *AND* not have boomy noises, i'm all for it.

I'll look you up in the fall for that too.

18. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    on my 360 the valves close within seconds after starting the car, hot or cold makes no difference, I start the car and the valves are open and they close within a few seconds, not minutes as someone stated above.

I have the Capistro remote on my car but I find it too noisy to drive around with the valves open, it makes people look at the car even more than they already do.

Wish this kit had been around a few months ago, I would have gotten it instead of the Capistro and done the dash switch instead of remote. I do like to open the valves when I am up in the mountains away from crowds :)

19. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Thanks for kind words, guys.

I am going to try to do demo at local Cars and Coffee this Saturday. We'll see how that goes.

Regards,

Steve

20. MacF430

MacF430 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    Sweden
    It looks very nice! Do you ship to Sweden?

21. MacF430

MacF430 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Great product, do you ship to Sweden?

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Very nice
    subbed

23. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hello Mac,

Yes, I will ship to Sweden. No problem at all.

Just go to my website and complete the contact form and tell me your shipping address. I will then send you a PayPal invoice.

Regards,

Steve
    http://www.forzacomponenti.com/

24. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Was at cars and coffe today. Nice turn out. A few people took a flyer.

Also, came across another method for mounting the controller module...

3M? Dual Lock? Reclosable Fasteners

and will be including this product in my kits.

Regards,

Steve

25. sortusacar

sortusacar Rookie

May 6, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    laurie russell
    Hi Steve, I sent a request for the kit via your website, please let me know the next steps in completing the order

26. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi, sorry, but did not get the message thru my website. I will have check into that.

In mean time, sent you a private message.

Thanks,

Steve

27. bisel

bisel Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #25 bisel, Apr 5, 2014