F12: 2 Years/17K miles DD report | FerrariChat

F12: 2 Years/17K miles DD report

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 33pds, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    I have just hit 17K miles in two years of using my 2016 F12 as my daily driver.

Not surprisingly, it has been a great experience. Here are a few observations, for what it’s worth:

The F12 can be driven daily without issue. I put snows on it in the winter, and it did some driving through snow when I got caught out by a change in weather. The traction control does an amazing job in wet, and I never had an issue. That being said, I do try to keep it off the road in wet weather—700hp through 2 wheels with super-fast steering is not really an ideal set up for bad weather, and more to the point, why bother.

The car does not lose specialness with extended driving, but rather rewards experience.
    The quick steering with all that power takes some recalibration which takes time. I would say it was likely 5k miles before I felt totally settled driving the car with some pace, etc. And the fun of hearing that sound, and the smooth power never fades.

The car has had its gremlins, but nothing mission-critical. There have been a handful of weird electronic glitches—most that fix with a re-boot, but some that needed a visit to the shop to figure out. That being said, I think most have traced to the terrible batteries in these cars—I’ve been through 3 or 4 so far. I know there are other non-EOM options—but I always go OEM for the usual reasons.

The F12 fulfills its mission as a very high-performance GT. It is very comfortable for long distances, and has capabilities far beyond my skill level when the roads allow. It is my car of choice to work each day, but especially for weekend trips—it can hold plenty and is both comfortable and fun to drive. (I would comment that the back luggage area gets incredibly hot—which is worth noting during packing.)

I will drive the car for likely another year—while I wait for my 812 to arrive. FWIW, I don’t think the 812 is as pretty a car as the F12, but it is striking in the right colors, and I am sure it will be a better car as the cars mostly keep getting better with each iteration.

4RE F12, Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #2 clockem, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Great write up thank you.

3. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sounds like a great 2 years. Be sure and drive the 812. You already can't use the power in the F12. 812 is a bit stiffer and even more power yet. Rear wheel steer might be awesome, or annoying.

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Sounds like a fantastic 2 years! Congrats!

5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for the write up and nice to see some miles on an F12. I'm down for an 812 as well in about a year but still not sure about its looks. I think I might regret selling it.

Tempted to keep the F12b and get a used used Lusso or maybe a Portofino if the future....

6. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Awesome write up! Daily driver F12 = Win on so many levels!

7. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    I understand your point. I like the look of the 812 but I think the F12 is much prettier from most angles. I do not need more power, and word that it is a stiffer set-up is not a good match to my use. But I do think it will be better overall as refinement happens over time.

Also, in my case, I'm not sure I want to go past 30k miles in the F12. Despite the warranty coverage, I don't have the patience for any issues that will likely start to surface as the miles add up. It may be up to the task, but there is not a lot of data to go on there.

Finally, it's fun to spec a new car, and it's even fun to wait for it.

PS. I am a big fan of the Lusso too. Think it is an amazing machine that I am kind of shocked exists.

8. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    congrats on 2yrs and 17000, i'm stuck between the F12 and 812, I've never bought new, would have but missed the F12 run, just not sure if the 812 is worth the extra money and wait, there's some beautiful F12s on the market,,

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic write up! The thing I worry about is losing the specialness. I'm glad it doesn't.

10. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    812 is more like a DD TDF. It's more stiff than the F12 so says the Chris Harris review.

Top end power and low end torque (you already have more than you can use on the road in the F12). Rear wheel steer. Car feels shorter and more taught. Yet it's not for everyone, and not better as a DD.

Get a gently used F12 for under 300k right now. 812 is not as elegant on the interior or exterior IMO. Waste of money.

11. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010

Although is is hard to refer to any F12 as a value, I agree there are some sweet almost new F12's out there for great prices. You can find virtually any spec, and the car itself remains a great thing. While I am interested in seeing how the 812 plays out for me, I do understand many of your points on the 812. There is a great case to be made for just swapping my F12 for a lower miles one, or even just to keep running mine and watching to see how it does.

I'll surely report back when sometime in the distant future my 812 actually arrives.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have a strong hunch that when you drive the 812, you will decide its worth it. I love my F12 and won't sell it, but I think Ferrari is really on quite a roll right now, and that doesn't seem like its going to end any time soon.