F355 coil-on-plug conversion | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F355 coil-on-plug conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jeffdavison, Oct 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Just the pre-set gap as they came out of the box, just checked for uniformity. I think they have a pic on the side of the box with the gap info.

They run just fine.

JD

2. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Jeff
    I got everything hooded up and running . The car idels great and runs great up to about 4500 rpm then it feels like its cutting out , If I keep pushing the gas it picks back up and and runs fine to redline . It only gives me a problem between 4500and 5000 rpm . I checked all my connections and such and iam stumped .
    I tried many diffrent switch positions on the dis4 and no luck . I figure it must be something with the dis4 of the switch settings .
    What switch settings are you running ?

Thanks

Bill.

3. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Jeff
    I was rereading your post and came across something that confused me ,
    In the frist post you said that plugs 1/4 -2/3-6/7 and 5/8 pair together and in your drawing it shows that plugs 1/3-2/4-5/7 and 5/8 pair together .
    I have mine hooked up by the frist order , This seemed to make sense by how the wires were connected to the factory coil packs .
    Bill

4. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Timing retard, you need to disable it.

5. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Just went over my actual notes:

DIS channel 1 controls cyl. 2 & 3
    DIS channel 2 controls cyl. 1 & 4
    DIS channel 3 controls cyl. 5 & 8
    DIS channel 4 controls cyl. 6 & 7

I cuncur with the last post, it sounds like the igntion retard function is kicking in. This function MUST be disables by the dip switches.

Also the rev limiter on the DIS should be set above the 355's rev limiter

JD

6. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Do you have yours set for lost spark ? Or cpc ?
    I have the rev limit set as high as it will go , and the retard disabaled .
    My dis 4 is a bit diffrent than yours i think , it has rotory dials for adjustment .

7. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    I spoke to msd and they are not much help . Seem to have no idea what I was talking about . All they did say is that it wont work the way i have it set up , i need to use two dis-4 s one channel per coil. They say that the coils only get half the votage when paired together .

8. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    They also said that it must be alean condition in the car , teh dis-4 could not cause thei condition . weird it worked fine befor it did this , it should have been doing this before.

9. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    When I was planning my install and talked to them, they said that each channel of the DIS4 had no problems driving 2 COPS in parralell which nets out to one channel for 2 COPS. I was worried about blowing the DIS4 with too little electrical impedence from the coils.

Check the resistences of each coil to make sure they're the same.
    across the + and - termials, from the + and plug contact, and from the - and plug contact. could be you have a bad coil, a potential if you're buying take offs from eBay.

I am running only one DIS4 box for all 8 cylinders with no issues.

Are you sure you are pairing the COPS in parralell? That would decrease the resistence of the COPS and increase the amperage load on the MSD. I was worried about it and MSD said not a problem as they had some people using a DIS2 this way in some 4 cylinder operations.

Box is set up for lost spark

JD

10. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    The cops are wired like your drawing ,basicly the negitive is split then goes to each coil , and teh positive goes to all coils .
    I have all my wires run in one bundle , would it help to sperate the trigger wires from the rest ?

Bill

11. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Confused on your description......

Positive shouldn't go to ALL coils...

MSD has four output channels, they are bundled in two leads,

(the inputs are also in each lead, but don't have the brown stripe and the red "in" corresponds to the brown-orange "out" common)

First lead (output) has three wires:
    two positves ( brown-white & brown-green)and a common negative (brown-orange)

Second lead (output) has three wires:
    two positives ( brown-yellow & brown-violet)and a common negative (brown-orange)

Lead (output) bundle 1 from MSD:
    the brown-white goes to the positive + of the COPs for cylinders 2 & 3
    the brown-green goes to the positive + of the COPs for cylinders 1 & 4
    the brown-orange goes to the negitive - of COP's 1,2,3 & 4

Lead (output) bundle 2 from MSD:
    the brown-yellow goes to the positve + of the COPs for cylinders 5 & 8
    the brown-violet goes to the positive + of the COPs for cylinders 6 & 7
    the brown-orange goes to the negitive - of COP's 5,6,7 & 8

make sure that the coil trigger from the left bank and right bank match the corresponding out put channels as you don't want to put the left bank fire on the right side and vice versa.
    Also double check that in's cyl #'s match out's cyl #'s

I used a teflon jacketed wire to make my harness to avoid potential "cross-talk" from cylinder to cylinder.

JD

12. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    After a long talk with msd they suggested getting a 8912 tach adapter .
    Not sure if this will work or not .

Bill

13. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    hmmm

did you talk to a level 1 or level 2 tech?
    :)

Didn't need one in my case. Don't see where that would help.

Make sure you can get your money back for the adapter when it doesn't do what they think it will.

Throwing a "tach adapter" at a problem seems to be the tech's answer when he really doesn't know an answer. IMO

Did you check all of my suggestions? DOuble and triple check proper wire routings? etc etc...

JD

14. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    I didnt know thay came in levels .
    Ive checked everything 3 or 4 times , I even drove around and went through everyswitch setting . The weird thing is that the max rev limit doesnt work , if I set it for say 6000 rpm it lets me go to redline no problem.
    They had no answer for this . All my coils have a 3 ohm resitance , what do yours have ? I dont see how atach adpter would help ,but its worth a try ,I didnt go this far to give up .

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The msd guys might be exactly right. If you have 2 coils wired in series, each coil only gets 1/2 the voltage....but the diagram a few pages back shows them in parallel, so they should all be geting the same voltage and double the current draw on the DIS....which might be current limitted internally, which brings us back to reduced voltage.

4500-5000 is a little low, I would expect the problem closer to the torque peak where the cylinder pressure is the highest, but if the engine is a bit lean in that region, you could see the problem.

You might try gapping the plugs down to .020" and see what happens. If that fixes the problem, you can either keep the gap there or add a second DIS4

16. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    I tried gapping the plugs down to .020 , It didnt solve the problem , It appears to make it a little less smooth.
    However the neighbors hate me for running up and down the block at 2 in the morning .At this point Iam not sure what eles to try . Should have the tach adpters on Tuesday , Doubt they will help but worth a try .I was thinking of running the dis-4 back into the stock coils to see if its the dis-4 causing the problem, Not sure if I could do that thou .
    Thanks for everyones help this far .

17. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Put tah tach adapters on today and the problem is solved , Have no idea what it did but it works .I have a weird burble when I rev it up thou , I think it is because i still have the plugs gapped at .020 ,
    What would it sound like if it were missing ?

Bill

18. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Put the tach adapters on today and the problem is solved , Have no idea what it did but it works .I have a weird burble when I rev it up thou , I think it is because i still have the plugs gapped at .020 ,
    What would it sound like if it were missing ?

Bill

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Regap and let us know. I had a miss in my previous 78 308 GTS with my plugs gapped at .025, but once opened up to .034 the car ran great (Crane Cams XR700 ignition).

20. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    very very interesting! but Great News none the less!

Didn't need it for my install. Mine, like yours is a '97, so I don't think there is any difference between out cars.

Play with it a while and let me know if the blood and sweat were worth it.

Personally, from the seat-0-pants dyno and smoothness I think it's a great conversion.

JD

21. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    I can tell you from the little bit of driving I have done ,with all the wires hanging out and the dis 4 zip tied to the frame , it is a major diffrence , I would not go back to the old set up , It really brings out what this car should be , much smoother , better sound .
    Now I need to figure out a way to put this in my Porsche turbo , But it has a distrubitor .
    I think there is something diffrent between our dis-4s , Mine has the rotory switches and I thing yours has the dip switches so maybe they changed something eles .

22. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I know that MSD has superceded the dip switch unit with the rotory. My model number is 6215.

Also they have a regular C.A.R.B approved regular output version and a high output non C.A.R.B. unit. My unit is the regular output.

Which are you using? If the H.O. unit, maybe that would acount for the need for the tach adapter somehow.

AND NO STINKIN M.I.L!!!

In anycase.....told y'all it's a great mod! C'mon fellow 355'ers watchya waiting for??

JD

23. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    I am working on this for my 348 with a motronic 2.7. However now with my beautiful transmission explosion the work is put on hold. I have everything laying in my basement at the moment with my wiring harness started but havent got back to it due to the tranny and work just killing me lately.

Glad to hear you two have it working so well and that it is performing beautifully.

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Sorry for sending you down the wrogn path.....I still have no idea why a tach adapter fixed it.....I'm guessing they were thinking you were just looking at the wrong rpm and that's why they said to use an adapter. strange.

25. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    an idea why.....

MSD is a multi-spark unit. At around 3 -4 K rpm it goes into a single spark mode.
    Perhaps the Engine ECU is a bit confused (somehow?) causing the stutter. The tach adapter smmoths the signal the ECU sees... I cant picture how this would work as the ECU isn't hooked up, nor is the tach, nor is the fuel injection. The MSD comes after the ecu sends it's signal to the coils and there is no input back to the ECU or feedback signal. Perplexing to say the leat, but happy to see another satisfied DIS4'er

JD