FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | Page 19 | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Finally got home! :)

Daniel - A couple of suggestions that I have been thinking of and wanted to mention since my last post. For water, rule of thumb is .6 oz for every lb of bodyweight. If you are getting up in the middle of the night to pee, then dial back how much you drink later in the day and increase it earlier in the day to meet the criteria. Not disturbing the sleep pattern is extremely important.

Don't feel like you have to confine yourself to a certain type of protein. Eating wild meat (wapiti, elk, buffalo) or seafood (lobster, shrimp, scallops, etc) is perfectly acceptable. Try to consume about 300 grams each morning.

And with nuts, you can pretty much run with whatever type you like most. :)

Darth - I looked it over and I quite like it. The main thing I would change would be mirroring the breakfast like I suggested for Daniel. It's cool that grapefruit is suggested, as that is a low glycemic/low fructose fruit that won't create a huge spike like say a banana. But, I would still change it as suggested to Daniel. Wild meat is a better source of protein. Wagyu, duck, alligator, llama, ostrich, etc, plus what I suggested him provide a much better source of protein. Buffalo will give you about three times the amount of protein beef will. Again, stick with about 300 grams. Handful of nuts. And the drink recommendations are good, save the diet soda.

I would completely cut the protein bread the few other times it appears, too. Wheat influences blood sugar levels as much as plain table sugar. Not good if you want to lose weight. You could replace the evening bread with veggies high in fibrous carbs (broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms, green beans, onions, cucumber, spinach, etc).

On the training I would change a few things. After stretching, I would lift weights for about thirty minutes before doing your rowing/swimming routine. Reasons for this are: Emptying your glycogen stores before your cardio primes the fat burning process. And the only thing that burns fat is muscle. The more muscle you have, the faster you can burn the last 20. You can decide what to workout. I would suggest some type of tri-sets with three second downs and about eight reps each with two minute rests.

i.e. You want to train back and chest that day:
    -grab a flat bench that swivels to an incline bench. Keep it inclined. Grab a pair of thirty pound dumbbells.
    -do 8 reps, counting three on the way down. Once done, immediately pivot the seat down to flat and do the same thing. Immediately grab lighter weights, swivel the seat wherever you want between inclined or flat and do flys. Rest 2 minutes. Repeat twice more. Chest is done.
    -then train your back in the same fashion. Combine whatever three exercises you want, or what you feel convenient.

Your workout should be done pretty quickly.

Use comfortable weights. Focus on your movements being slow and controlled. Count out three seconds as you lower the weight. Close your eyes, keep excellent posture, and concentrate on the muscles being used. With your eyes closed, you want to be very in tune with the symmetry of both sides flowing as one unit.

Then go hit the cardio.

Once done, mixing pure whey protein isolate (very important it is isolate with nothing else added) with some mixed berry type juice. Your insulin sensitivity would be soaring, so using high glycemic fruit juices with a few spoonfuls of isolate is going to maximize muscle mass gains. Again, this is good because muscle is the only thing that can burn fat. You add a little now, and you burn the fat off quicker.

You could try these changes for a couple of weeks and see where it gets you. It's very likely to speed up your fat loss but add a little muscle, too. Should rip that last bit of fat off pretty quick.

Guy - This is awesome!!! Glad to see you back man.

It really sucks about your hip flexor. :(

Really glad you're happy with your overall progress, though. :)

Jason - Pretty cool recommendations. I'm going to try the pasta. :D

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    hey Mike, what happened to that biceps/arms contest you and your buddies had going?

3. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Still going! On the last four weeks this month. I'm in the lead still with 1 1/8" gained last time we measured. In four weeks it's cutting time like the rest of you guys are doing. :D

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #454 darth550, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When you told me this was for sheer size I kinda bowed out since I don't want to have huge guns. I am, however, gaining more definition...

.....and fitting better in my tux than I did 15 years ago!!! :D :D :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Holy crap Darth!!! That's the coolest thing I've seen this year man. :)

6. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    TY my friend! :)

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What is your diet look like for your cut?

That's nice!!!

8. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Daniel, one last thing I thought of. Feel free to eat lean meat, but take fish oils with it. That will substitute for the fats you need. And it would be a higher quality fat (omega 3's). The kind you get at costco and gnc are best. Look on the nutrition panel on the back and make sure it has the epa and dha added.

The reason I say this, is I thought of the shock you might have to eating fat again. This might be a better route for you. :)

Anytime, amico. That's just freaking incredible!

Same thing as I'm suggesting here. Meat & nuts breakfast, Paleo centered diet. Going to try and stick with wild meats and rotate them. I will prepare for days in advance like you do. ;)

This next competition we are doing is we take the % of fat lost and add it to the percentage of muscle gained. Whoever has the best number wins. Only one opponent this time, though. Everyone else doesn't want to compete anymore, lol. No winning attitude I guess? They lost pretty badly on this arm competition...

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Thank you for all the advice. Tomorrow, I embark on "Nutrition 2.0" based on your recommendations. I suspect that getting fats back into my diet might have a slightly unpleasant reaction. Despite the holiday tomorrow, I'll see if I can find some fish oil supplements.

Today was interesting on the BCAA front -- I did two scoops of the stuff spread over 16 oz of water. The first 8 ounces was sipped during the start of baseball practice (cool outdoor temps in the 60's), and took me about 15-20 minutes to get it all down. Then, I had a 1.5 hour practice of primarily outfield work -- hard sprints from center field and right field to catch fly balls and hard grounders that get through the infield. I'm not sure how much the BCAA was to factor, but I absolutely had plenty of speed/strength the entire time. On the 45 minute drive home, I sipped the next 8 ounce portion. Zero recovery issues thus far, and I feel ready to go again :)

10. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Daniel - Awesome. Can't wait to see how this effects your energy, focus, fat, and muscle. Looking for your honest assessment of where these 14 days takes you. :)

Heckyeah fish oils, Mister Burns! :D

First off, that study touched on cardiovascular disease and inflammation. I never stated that he take it for cardiovascular health. While you can find a large amount of people attest to a positive joint health benefit from taking this supplement, I am not suggesting he take it for this reason either. Nor does sales figures have anything to do with it.

I'm not trying to say the study your article references is wrong, I'm simply saying that it is irrelevant to Daniel's situation, and my advice for him.

Allow me to explain.

Daniel has absolutely no fat intake. Fish "oils" are a different way of saying what it really is. It's fish fat. If Americans saw "fish fat" being sold in a bottle, would they buy it? Rhetorical, I know. ;)

Fish oils provide essential fats. It's constructed by the Omega 3 fatty acid chains. Omega 3s are not made in the body. It has to be eaten. The Omega 3's are referred to as "essential" because your body has to have them to function properly.

Fats build a better protection around your cells and the omega 3's manage to do this while increasing insulin sensitivity. This helps metabolism increase. Also worth noting is that fish oils cannot not turn into fat in the body.

While some may claim this to be some kind of magical snake water in certain health issues, for Daniel's purpose, and the facts I've stated that you can easily research, it isn't hard to understand why. ;) He needs fat in his diet, and if he cuts it mostly out of the one time he eats meat in a day, he should supplement it, and in that case use a superior fat. :)

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#462 Ricambi America, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    We used to give Eric Nordic fish oil. Most Dr's recommend it.

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    did your doc recommend or "prescribe" them?

I used to take them and saw no results other than bad breath and acid reflux.

14. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Don't waste your time with GNC anyway. :)

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It was for brain plasticity.

17. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sure! Move up to three on the following week, if you're cool with it. Your Omega-3s should be about 1,000 mg. :)

How come? :D

I am not a advocate of theirs, but concerning fish oils and fish oil only, the studies I've read have put their triple strength fish oil pretty close to the top of the heap. Also, it's readily accessible by anyone stateside.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    interesting. any results? I guess not if you stopped taking them :(

btw GNC has the best price I've found on Quest bars. so don't pass them by completely...

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    He was taking all sorts of supplements at that time and none of them seemed to do much more than cost me $400/mo, and a certain doctor her reputation to anyone who'd listen.

20. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Feel like giving a name? My nephew in Monrovia is autistic and I'm sure my sister/BIL wouldn't mind the info.

Mark

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Rachel West in Santa Monica. She's one of those "It" doctors who makes you wait for months to see her (and doesn't take INS), sends all the results to some overpriced lab who pays her a commission then loads your kid with crap that "Should" help. She even tried to get me to agree to a 3K brain map and chelation in a sauna, tied down with IV's.

Every parent gets the same pitch.

I will give her this much though... She did correctly diagnose his candida growth and prescribe Nystatin which worked. Ironically, the only "Western" med she knows of?

If they don't mind the drive into Westwood, Eric has been receiving excellent care at the CAN clinic there under Dr James (don't call me Phil) McCracken. He underwent a couple drug studies there and what they've done has by far been the most effective. I will happily ask them about seeing your nephew if they want me to?

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Purely for price because you have to sign up for their gold membership to get the decent prices.

And I could never go in without someone hovering over me, "making sure I knew what I was buying".

I just buy cliff bars.:)

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Thank you. *Tips hat*

24. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Damn, Darth. You've been drug through the mud a bit. :(

LOL! I know exactly what you're talking about. :)