Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 TdF 0895gt rally London to Maranello

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by roma1280, Jul 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Don't forget some engine oil.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Excellent idea!!

Pete

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And cable ties. Not worth leaving home without them :)

Pete

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    If I've understood correctly, you're planning to take several days to drive this distance and if so, here's few suggestion if I may.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'll drive the chase van. :)

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, those too are for sissies, right ? Even in Texas I'd imagine. 😜

Ironically though, a while ago I was approached by some local "Hot Rodders"(?) who had heard of some of my day trip drives at local mountains, etc to see if I wouldn't mind hosting them to similar activities.
    You should've seen the horrified look in their eyes when, after they asked what kind of chase vehicle they should arrange, I said we won't need any if mine is in the lead and they just chase me with theirs.
    I even offered to share the lead spot with any who can pass me.
    I won't be surprised if I don't hear from them again. 🙄

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Aww... this is about as close as I'm ever going to get to a California in the wild. :)

8. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #83 The Red Baron, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Harwich to Maranello
    Just took a can of tire flat and my helmet.
    Stopped for a Mars bar somewhere.
    oh yeh .... and a beer a night.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    My memory does not exist.

Could you remind me of what the original car was?

And what motor was put in it?

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    That's the right attitude ! 👍

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Love the helmet!

12. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    had no idea these existed. I too suffer from tire pressure anxiety. What did you purchase?

To make it harder for them to start it and drive away, take the rotor out of the distributors. It'll take them a while to figure out why it isn't starting and they'll make a racket trying. If you have a hidden fuel cut off valve or switch, that'll do the trick as well, better yet, both.

It is very hard to keep it from putting it into a trailer to steal it, but I have used one of those "Club" devices that locks the steering wheel to the brake pedal (best to turn the wheel to full lock). It's not the best device in the world, and it's only mildly effective to a determined thief, but it will make them waste some time defeating it.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy it!

13. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Are you part of this group? In which case very little to chose regarding the route. Looking at the itinerary however with lunch in Saint Moritz from Zurich likely you will take the Julier pass a nice one, and to Milan the Maloja after St Moritz. Those are light itineraries.
    For reference today I did Zurich to Parma via San Bernardino ( with a modern car) and drove back to Switzerland via Grand Saint Bernard with a 1963 classic ( on my own with no special spare parts whatsoever, a racing Alfa for those who want to know) .
    Altogether 800km or 500 miles in 10 hours of driving ( and pretty hot outside, 33-34 Celsius) with a mix of motorways, dual carriage ways, and B roads. And I took the pass up to the top , not the tunnels ( both roads have tunnels for cars as well).
    Lesson is no reason to stress, if you have a well prepared car, no reason to be anxious. 2 things I may not have said, take an FIA homologated extinguisher ( I am racing so I have one in each of my cars in front of passenger seat so you can get it), and be gentle on the brakes ( San Bernardino is a 15 miles downhill road going south so better to use the engine brake rather than cooking you drums,,).
    If you are not part of this organized tour I think 3 days is enough London Reims ( Crayeres relais châteaux ) Zurich ( Baur au lac, ditto) and you need max 6 hours from Zurich to Maranello.
    In Mille Miglia we have usually diner at Aldrovandi palace in front of Villa Borghese, rather than the doggy bag at mid night, hard driving does not mean eating only Mars bars!!😀

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heck yes a fire extinguisher or 2 is a MUST!

Pete

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #90 Marcel Massini, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Hi P.
    Seems you have your own Gubrist and Gotthard tunnel, your own personal detour road around Lugano and your own personal customs station in Chiasso, not to mention your own personal tangenziale around Milano. This year I have been Zurich to Maranello more than seven times already (with various modern cars including Ferraris) and every single time I have had much much more than six hours. Simply because Google Maps says you have six hours doesn't mean that it actually takes six hours. It takes much longer in reality. On one of my recent trips (in May) I had six hours from Zurich to Chiasso alone! And then another 3 hrs from Chiasso to Maranello. A total of 9 hours, not 6. Seriously. There are more traffic jams and stupid tourists with their campers than ever in this crazy little country of Switzerland.

This writes a highly frustrated Swiss driver who spends more time in traffic jams than actual driving.
    PS: As I write this this Saturday morning there is a 14 km long traffic jam at the entrance of the Gotthard tunnel (which means 2.5 hours delay), simply because of the idiot who placed a red traffic light right there at the entrance to "better channel the traffic" (surely you know who I mean).
    Sorry for my rant.

Marcel Massini

16. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Hi Marcel, sorry for you but I drove more than 30k km these past 12 month in Switzerland alone and most traffic jam is between Berne and Zurich before the link to Basel!!

And my described drive was yesterday, I started 10:05 and arrived in Parma ( Soragna to be precise,) at 15:15. And I stopped on top of San Bernardino to make pictures. Big traffics in Chiasso from South to North i.e. Towards Switzerland, and none going South. Milan tangenziale Est was fluid, just a traffic jam after Piacenza.

On the way back , i left at 4:30 pm and I avoided Milan taking the Torino motorway in Piacenza, then cut to Vercelli and again took the Aosta motorway. Radio said 2 hours of queues at Mont Blanc tunnel, but I bifurcated to Grand Saint Bernard went up to the top, and was in Crans for diner at 9:30pm

Altogether 800km and no more than 10 minutes in traffic jams. In modern cars traffic jams are painful, with a classic it is a killer , I avoid them in tour auto and in MM , worst was going up to San Marino this year everything was blocked for hours, we just left , in 9 MM I have been 5 times up to San Marino and 4 times bailed out because of traffic jam...

EnzoItaly likes this.
  17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes have oil and cable ties thank you

18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Great suggestions thank you

19. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    See post 25 of this thread. They seem to work really well.

20. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Thanks to Marcel 0895gt will be at Salon Prive!

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sensational news! Cannot wait to see it again.
    Thank you Mark.

Marcel Massini

22. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    A GoPro (or other) dash cam and put some great clips on youtube?

23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Thank you for sharing !! I'm doing the same rally/parade in my Tm488 then staying in Italy for the advanced pilota-I am so so excited at seeing your car at

Also as Marcel said, if you can take her to salon price at Blenheim palace it would be fabulous all round ....

24. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Excellent !!!!

25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #100 roma1280, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok following everyone's advice and getting a modern battery. Old school battery is out. A friend is helping with the procurement of a suitably sized modern battery!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login