FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 226 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perfectly stated.

There are number of transactions in 2011 that reinforce this.

2. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Blk Interior
    a/c
    p/w
    sold 1st to Gnutti of Milan
    1987 sold to Hadham in GB with 24K Kms showing...
    Car hadc running problems-"MID RANGE MISFIRES"....Mr. Key's dlr crashed the car while rd. testing...
    Damage so extensive, engine knocked off centerline...Car deemed so damaged it was thought to be wrecked/"a total reite off"
    Car tyhen completely "restored"....
    UK plates then were: B591OPG
    1995- owned by an Archer MacLean-UK.
    Plates are "147AM"
    1995 car in UK publication:"Classics and Sportscars"

not heard of since...

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5628 joe sackey, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
  5. Jasonjohnyates

Oct 16, 2010
    HK/UK
    Full Name:
    Jason John Yates
    #5630 Jasonjohnyates, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Beautiful! Is it yours?

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Excellent idea. Love the plate! Feel free to elaborate on the history..

56339 - ZFFPA16B000056339, engine 183, seen in Germany 2009 on French Tourist plates CDB051, Fritz Kroymans Netherlands.

9. Jasonjohnyates

Oct 16, 2010
    HK/UK
    Full Name:
    Jason John Yates
    Joe, Ex Europe - US - back to Europe like so many... Classiche and in great shape but bought to drive, I have stuck 1,000 Klms on it in the 14 months I have had it, but really only few decent trips, so now with 14k on the clock.. Sound/Drive/Style is unique, but have avoided the F40 debate. Different cars for different experiences, its too personal. I just know the stick shift will pass the test of time over buttons... I'm still working on the video download to share the whistle of the turbos !!

10. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Nice reading you Jason! What does it say underneath the GTO badge?

Gr. Martin

11. Jasonjohnyates

Oct 16, 2010
    HK/UK
    Full Name:
    Jason John Yates
    its a Kroymans badge - Gone, but significant part of Ferrari history.

12. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #5637 omd78, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    while we re all admiring Joe's pictures, I took #55167 for a 60km drive in the countryside. Twisty downhill section, followed by 5km of straights, then a steep uphill drive to a mountain pass and down again around a lake at which point I got stuck in stop start traffic for 40mins...

The car was pure magic. Incredibly nimble, quick as long as it was kept on boost, not too wide for the tight country lanes and with enough ground clearance to clear the roughest roads. I was a little apprehensive with the brakes given the length of the downhill section, but I experienced no fade whatsoever. The clutch is new so the entire gear changing experience was spot on and the car responded enthusiastically to heel and toeing on downshifts (the pedals are perfectly positioned for that unless your shoe size is 11+). On the straights it was very impressive even by modern standards, although it is not rock steady at big speeds, the way a modern Ferrari is...I was reminded of the benefits of not having power steering; the feel cannot be matched by any modern assisted system and it is still very light on the go

The megaphonos sounded glorious. I had a friend lead in his 575M to show me the way and he drove all 60km with his window down, to hear my exhaust, even though it was baking hot. The car is running a little rich and I did get the odd whiff of unburnt fuel, but nothing too bad...I had no trouble keeping up with the 575M, although I am sure my friend was not trying as hard as I was!

When we hit stop start traffic I panicked, as I had never driven my car in such conditions and feared the worst. The car behaved like a modern hatchback. The air-con blew perfectly cold air, the car sat patiently in traffic for 40 minutes, with the water temperature gauge barely touching 90degC, the fans worked as they should and at no point did I feel as if the car was about to throw a wobbly. Once the road opened again, it was back to its usual explosive self. The only uncomfortable thing was the staring...Cars stopped, kids waved, bikers turned around to follow us, it was as if the 575M did not exist...Not my kind of thing, but I guess I'd better get used to it.

The only minor issues were a passenger window that takes its time to go up and a hazard switch that works whenever it chooses (sourcing a replacement is hard)...Oh and I remembered the car has no stereo, but only after I had parked it safely in my garage (just kidding, I couldnt care less about music in a car like this)

Joe Macari obviously did a great job preparing the car, but I still cannot believe how impressive 288s are to drive. One of the greatest supercars ever made, it totally lives up to its reputation. I've owned some important 80's cars (Lambo Countach QV, Ferrari 328, Porsche 911 Turbo, Lancia S4) but nothing feels as impressive today as it did back then. The F40 does, but it could never cope with the trip I did in the 288 with such ease and elegance...To me the 288 is the most important Ferrari of the last 30years.

15. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Excellent story George, enjoy the car!

Gr. Martin

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow. What a great post. Thank you.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great write-up on the simple Supercar..

18. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    The Gooding web site shows a GTO that will be in the Pebble Beach auction. The estimate is $700k to $850k. Does anyone know about this particular car? History? Condition?

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Agreed and while reading it I must admit I got alittle misty eyed.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    54247 - ZFFPA16B000054247

Air-conditioning.

Power windows.

All-black interior (VM8500).

Erhard L. Burkart, Germany.

USA.

Condition should be verified by the seller, but if you wish to entertain a private discussion on this, or any other 288 GTO, feel free to contact me directly.

21. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Great write-up George. I really enjoyed reading this. The 288 GTO is on my list of favourites but after reading your experience with this car I've placed a red dot next to it. Sounds like this is a very impressive Ferrari to own. Especially the remark related to the F40 caught my attention.

Glad to see you are enjoying the 288 GTO so much. That's what it was built for to begin with.

Please share more of your impressions as you collect more miles with this beauty.

M

22. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    thank you, I certainly will! I plan to go out again this Saturday, hopefully I can put 200-300km on it this time, as I have another route I'd like to explore...Thank God it is not an ultra low mileage car, at least I don't feel guilty! Havent driven the Enzo in 8 weeks...Says it all really!

23. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Just in case you need someone to drive the Enzo: I'm available this Saturday :D:D:D

Gr. Martin

24. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    That's great. What a Sunday to look forward to. Enjoy and drive safe with your beauty. As for not driving the Enzo for 8 weeks ... I think she will need a little tender love and caring soon ;)

Enjoy.

M

25. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I just got Hemmings Motor News and that was what the writer claimed.

I had no idea - is this really true??? Double the price of a Daytona?