Ferrari 330 GTC As-Built Configuration and Judging Guidelines | FerrariChat

Ferrari 330 GTC As-Built Configuration and Judging Guidelines

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SCantera, Apr 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #1 SCantera, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    A gift for fellow GTC caretakers and others involved with keeping these fine cars to be better.

A friend of mine and fellow GTC owner has taken a keen interest in learning details on how the model left the factory. When he acquired a very nice GTC a few years ago he decided to enter it for judging. I believe on the first try at Cavallino he received an 85. Since that time he has performed upgrades and corrections to improve the score. Just this past January he entered the car again at Cavallino and received a Platino....now a 97 point minimum.

He has spent a lot of time, research and put in a significant amount of effort in documenting what he learned in his endeavor to make his car "right". He consulted other GTC experts including past and current owners, FCA judges for GTCs and other vintage Fcars, restoration shops and experts that produce some of the minutia detail for the model. Over the years this information was compiled enabling the creation of the "Ferrari 330 GTC As-Built Configuration and Judging Guidelines Manual."

My learning of this manual was recent when I asked my friend if I could visit to see his GTC and take notes and pictures in my effort to make my GTC a better car. Not knowing that the manual existed he emailed it to me when I sent the email request. After he showed me his beautiful car I asked if he would allow me to share the manual with other GTC owners. He graciously agreed.

In addition he asked me that if others had any corrections, additions or other comments to pass the information on to him. To him the manual is a work in progress. For example one question he had was the front license plate bracket. He wanted to know if it was on all GTC from the factory. What did the bracket look like?....pictures?....etc. I asked the question here. And it was great to have other fellow FChatters share their knowledge about the subject.

I am offering to send the manual to those that request a copy. I won't post the manual as an attachment or post here on FChat. If you are interested in a copy please PM me.

2. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'd love to see a copy and I'd be happy to contribute back if I can. Your PM box is full! Thanks!

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I would really loke a copy as well. Your PM box is full

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'm interested as well in a copy. Thank you,

-Ken

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    My apologies to those that tried to send me a PM only to find the box full. I have made space for new requests. Include your email address and I will send the manual.

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi I would like a copy. My e-mail is [email protected]. As part of my collection"Ferrari- The Golden Years 1947-1967 I already have the Operating Maintenance Service, Spare parts, and 330 2+2 Service manuals. This will be a nice addition. Thanks George Burgess

7. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    How can I obtain one copy?

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Please send me your email address. I will forward you a copy.

9. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I'd like a copy please. I pm'd my email.

10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I would much appreciate a copy and am grateful for your diligence and generosity. Happy to pay for such a service, just let me know. thanx steve meltzer, VIN #8995
    <[email protected]>

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I think I have sent a copy of the 330 GTC manual to all that have requested so far. If I missed you please let me know.

The author asked me if anyone had anything to add or correct in the manual to please communicate with him [or me]. One example that he asked about was the front license plate bracket. Accordingly I floated the question here on FChat [in another thread]. It seems from information gathered here on FChat the bracket has been found on both Euro as well as US cars. Would this have been a dealer add or a factory install? The author wants to know.

Any other items that you have comments on or additions to suggest would be welcomed by the author. This is his 3rd Edition and he wants to make it better and more complete.

thanks in advance for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you.

12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Steve, thanx again for the "manual", but I'm afraid it's only going to add to my already compulsive nature! steve

13. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi Steve,
    Didn't get mine yet. Will PM you again with email. Thanks much!
    Tom

14. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I 2nd that. Now we are going to need help with sources to find any missing bit parts on our cars! Anyone know where to source the rubber trim under the A pillar by the door or the ribbed rubber trim under the trunk above the exhaust? It's going to be fun going over my car and seeing what lines up and what might need addressing.

My favorite part having this is that I want my car basically original, but I wasn't looking forward to showing it to find out what's wrong with it. I'm much happier driving than sitting in a lawn chair while experts comb over it. Thanks again!

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I 2nd that. Now we are going to need help with sources to find any missing bit parts on our cars! Anyone know where to source the rubber trim under the A pillar by the door or the ribbed rubber trim under the trunk above the exhaust? It's going to be fun going over my car and seeing what lines up and what might need addressing.

My favorite part having this is that I want my car basically original, but I wasn't looking forward to showing it to find out what's wrong with it. I'm much happier driving than sitting in a lawn chair while experts comb over it. Thanks again!

I couldn't agree more! I have zero desire to show my car, tho' it's nice, but I'm sure the experts could make it look like a pile of dung in 20 seconds...not my idea of a good time.
    One of those experts came by my place and did find stuff that "wasn't correct"....oh well! Lucky and grateful to have sucha car as this. (BTW: I think Bob Smith in the Dallas area might have the rear rubber trim you mentioned. Get out your letter of credit.) sdm

16. Yann Jules

Yann Jules Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Yann Jules
    Hi Steve,

I believe your PM quota has been reached. Would you be kind enough to send me a copy as well please?
    Thanks

17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Sorry about that. I cleared space so please PM or post hour email address and I will get it out to you.

18. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Larry Benson in TN has the ribbed trim for the pinch weld above the exhaust tips. I will find his contact info and send to you.

19. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Awesome. Thanks!

20. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I'm looking for a source for the "engine bay molding profile" which is the black plastic trim that goes around the pinch weld shown on page 39 of the guide.

Tom in Socal

21. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    #21 Jumprun, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve, Are you sure yours should be rubber? Mine is chrome, a late car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    #22 Jumprun, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is something on my car that differs from the guide, page 24 shows a photo of the trunk latch and states it should be covered with black naugahyde. Mine is covered with a nice molded piece and even appears to have a different shape.
    I'm fascinated with this guide, it can become even more helpful as time goes on if people submit differences, especially by serial number.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Actually - that was me who posted that. Mine is rubber on the door in front of the window, where yours is chrome, Held on by some metal clips. But in your picture, at the top back of your left front fender, under the A-pillar, it seems there is supposed to be a rubber seal. That's missing on my car.

I don't have time to take picts now, but will in a week or so when I'm back from vaca and can get a good look.

My car is very early - 20th 330 GTC - 1966.

24. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Mine was about the 500th built, #11157 so I'm at the other end. There should be plenty of undocumented differences from the early cars. It's a pity that as more cars are restored there will be more original details lost unless documented for the future. My car was pretty much untouched when I got it but I've had to do quite a bit of work to make it a runner so I've tried to take pictures and document the original details.

25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Tom......Larry Benson [FCA judge] and a pretty knowledgable guy about 330s had the pinch weld trim above the exhaust tips made. I purchased that trim for my car a couple of years ago. He also at one time made the molding for the engine bay. I think his manufacturer recycled the mold for that trim and Larry ran out of his supply. I asked him if he knows where it can be found.

My guess is that it's "out there" somewhere. I will ask around.