Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta (Track Day) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta (Track Day)

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Rothbauer_Racing, Jun 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Being that all F355 Challenge cars were running a rear wing of some type I wonder how much of an advantage would that be at COTA? I hear it adds some 300 lbs of downforce, not sure at what speed that is?

Weight on the 355CH cars were around 140 lbs lighter vs. my 355F1, of course I don't have the Challenge Brakes or Shocks/Springs they were running to keep that speed in the slow turns like T1, T11, T12 & T20.

I ran with no challenge wing, still looking for one however...

PS. My Sparco seats didn't get installed for this event and I was holding on the wheel to turn and keep me in place thru those high G turns...

ciao,

SRR

2. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Heading back to COTA in early May and was looking for some suggestions from the F355 Challenge or Racers crowd. Install Challenge Springs (currently running H&R springs that are just 20% stiffer over Stock) or I can get the Challenge Suspension ECU that turns on the dampening earlier in the turns to control the shocks/roll better?

Anyone know if the Challenge Muffler (Item 1) would be better then the Tubi Muffler? Not Item 8 which is more of a strait pipe system which is VERY Loud I heard.

I don't want to sound faster then I am. ;P)

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Won't you be compromising the streetability of your car. I would suggest leave it as is and enjoy it on road and track or buy a separate race car.

4. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    It's a Track car at this point and no fun driving on the street anymore. The tracks are just a new playing field to learn the limits in a safe environment. Race car is in the future once I learn how to push hard and control while being consistent.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What tires are you running? If you're chasing lap times, tires will be the single biggest jump in time, then tune the car around the tires.

6. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Pirelli Trofeo R (F 235/18 & R265/18). Into my second set as I really like them and can understand when they start to break loss, from the previous Pirelli P Zero OEM setup it's impressive. Only issue is they don't make a wider rear, 265 is the largest which is small? I need a 295 or 305 rear?

7. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Really enjoyed the video and comments about your experience. Looks like you had a great time!

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Might be worth going to hoosiers. You can go 335's in the rear if you want, though I don't know if they would actually fit. I have 245f/295r Hoosier r6's on challenge rims, but have yet to get them on track. I do know that all of the fastest cars at autox and time trials run the hoosiers, and without them you have little chance of being fastest, contingencies not withstanding.

9. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    #34 rexrcr, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    On a road car you definitely do want 2200 lb/in springs up front, the Challenge chassis are reinforced at the upper shock mount.

The Challenge ECU does have revised programming... you'll get higher ROI from our conversion to race spring rates, rebuilding and force matching your shocks.

The Challenge shock ECU alone is a complete waste of cash.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

10. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I have a Challenge Wing and Set of overhauled Challenge shocks for sale. PM me if you are still interested

11. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    My session from the Forza Tifosi Challenge Track Day @ Circuit of the Americas.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JGWVGlVL14]Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta (Forza Tifosi Challenge) - YouTube[/ame]

12. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Nice video. You have a pretty good line around that track.
    I shared this video with one of my friends. He was the white F430C that passed at 2:50.

Who was talking/yelling towards the end of the video? Where you trying to get someone to pass you?

13. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Fixed, should have said "don't want".

Just to put the F355 Challenge springs into perspective, this high spring rate, plugged into the motion ratio, yields a wheel rate of 1100 lb/in.

The OE road car spring (front) yields a wheel rate of about 90 lb/in.
    Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

14. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Double posted...

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is amazing that spread and obvious reason the shock tower stiffened plates are in the challenge cars. What is the front rear chassis frequency for this car?

16. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    For F355C just over 4 Hz front and just under 3 Hz rear.

Quite outrageous but I realize why Ferrari did this. 360C and newer have a more "sophisticated" setup. The F355C is more "brute force" imho.

Best,
    Rob

17. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Thanks! It's a great track but, being around Race Car at COTA & TWS I see many crashes and may be that keeps me from pushing harder?

I hired an Instructor who also owns a F355 Challenge to help me push harder, we were on a great program up until the weather went south for Sunday which was all tech talk. I have a lot to apply back in May when I return for a 3 day event.

My Instructor was talking towards the end.

18. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
  19. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #44 Rothbauer_Racing, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
  21. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My understanding was that the stiffer Challenge shock tower mounts were fitted to the road cars as well apart from the earliest cars.

See below from another thread. Is this true?

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I'm in the upper paddock with Cayman R #21. Come find me.

23. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #48 Rothbauer_Racing, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Peter,

Sorry I missed ya! It was a busy weekend for me as I was helping my friends that were running in the E Class Races between my DE Sessions. I'm trying to learn the logistics of racing, etc...

Lot's of Action this weekend from Racers & DE's! I was running 2:41 +/- 1 second lap after lap on Fridays Perfect Weather!!! Taped into the 2:40's a few times and my AIM Solo DL data quit recording on Saturday along with my GoPro going dead? To many responsibilities helping others and I suffered! All in good fun!

Ciao,

SRR
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    They do need to be charged... ;)

25. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #50 Rothbauer_Racing, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2021
    In process of setting up the car for COTA. With 4 options on spring set up on the 355Challenge I wonder which would yield the best results for the 3.9 mile track?

Front: 1800 lbs vs. 2200 lbs
    Rear: 700 lbs vs. 900 lbs

I finally have a set of Challenge Shocks & Springs now I just need to figure out what combination works best for COTA. It's a mixture of High to Mid Speed turns with 4 slow turns. Those 4 slow turns need to carry as much speed as possible and that is where suspension comes into play.

I will be running Pirelli Slicks Front: 245 & Rear: 305

Looking for another 5 seconds in order to be in the playing field with the real 355 challenge race cars.