Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta (Track Day) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355F1 Berlinetta (Track Day)

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Rothbauer_Racing, Jun 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    1800/900

Helps the car turn at T1, T11, T12, T13, T15 and T20...

That's where ALL the time is...

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #52 bobzdar, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    You have both Shell and Agip sponsoring you? How did you work that out :)?

3. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Thanks! That will be the first setup test then. For some reason my brain gets a bit off line at T13 and I tend to late apex it loosing the speed going to T14? A very rewarding track when all flows correctly... I have 3 events in the beginning of 2015 and possible one before end of year. I will try and post my latest video from COTA.

Agip for Oils & Shell for Gas.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I forgot about this great thread.

Rob,

Can you explain how this works? I have a hard time wrapping my head around this. 2200lbs front springs and I think "understeer"! There was a comparable front over rear split on my 348 racer. I never understood it. I just drove it and it worked!

5. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    All horsepower aside (458 Challenge) the turn in speed and grip is higher on the 458CH vs. 355CH but, how? Let's review the 458 CH vs. 355 CH

Tires: Pirelli Slicks F/255 & R/305
    Sway Bar: F/21mm & R/23mm (Adjustable)

Front Springs: 825 lbs/in vs. 1045 lbs/in
    Rear Springs: 990lbs/in vs. 1322 lbs/in

I wonder what setup works best for the 458 CH at COTA?

Sure the 458CH has a monster new Aero package and Traction Control but, the cars weight almost the same in race trim yet the 458CH just blazes thur the turns at COTA.

During one event/session I was out on track with (behind!) a 430CH & 458CH thur T3 to T10 and they just flew away!!! This section of the track is more about grip them HP? The faster I go threw here the more my car gets upset!

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That's what aero does for you.

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I don't think it is aero. These are big streetcars going relatively slowly and I don't think they generate as much aero as one thinks. Horsepower is huge and useable how you get on power and off power and brakes and gearbox. A manual box shifts maybe 1/2 second and challenge box 40ms? All that stuff including aero add up. Then there is 20 years of chassis development. Look how a 911 has changed over the years. The guts there are much more similar than 355 to 458. Then look at funny chassis dynamics like the 355 flexes like a noodle. How much of the 2200lb heavy springs are really transferring energy into the chassis to act as an unpredicatable chassis torsion bar? The increase in stiffness beginning with the 360 really started to allow the springs to be springs.

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    ^^^ this :)

9. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Briefly: choice in approach / philosophy...

One way is big springs, other method is larger ARBs, "softer" springs.

Chassis stiffness is the #1 factor, and virtually no one pays much attention to this... So many roll cage designs are wasted opportunities for chassis improvement; the key is triangulation...

Best,
    Rob

10. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    #60 apex97, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Well said. My 2 cents is, choose the set up that will make car feel most confident on the power from the center of the corner to the exit first and then work on reducing entry understeer. Many of the common complaints I hear about Ferrari's handling "Issues" are driver induced. For example, braking too late and charging too fast into the turn and then complaining about understeer. Then, deciding to make a set up change to help it turn in by stiffening up the rear, only to wind up complaining about exit "power on" oversteer. The comments are correct about the chassis softness of the 355 vs the later cars, so you need to consider that going too stiff on spring simply moves the loads to the chassis which then becomes the spring and is not well dampened or easily tune-able! Rob's point is a very important consideration, springing softer and controlling roll and balance with bars is the way to go if your chassis is a noodle.

11. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Reading more on the ITC Cayman racing program which weight and power are very similar to the 355CH and uses same size 18 racing slicks they seup the car to run: HYPERCO Spring Kit; 500, 600, 700 nothing close to the 1800 fronts the 355 uses? I have watched those cars run at COTA and they run in the 2.25.xx lap times. A full 10 seconds faster then the 355CH cars. Yes the Caymans have different gearing and stiffer chassis development. Looking for options...

I wonder if the Springs F:900/R:700 setup on the 355 might the way to go for COTA?

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #62 bobzdar, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Is that spring rate or wheel rate? Don't get the 2 confused. If you're talking about spring rate, then unless the 355 and Cayman have identical motion ratios in the suspension (extremely unlikely), they're not comparable.

Make sure if you do the comparison that you use data (mid-corner speeds and G-forces) and not feel. Often, a stiffer sprung car will 'feel' better but actually be slower. You get quicker responses from a stiffer suspension which 'feels' better, but it may end up not gripping as well and ultimately end up going slower. I experimented with this by switching suspension modes on my 355 during a practice autox. Sport mode invariably felt better but in a lot of turns the car was actually slower, so was not necessarily faster overall. In instances where there are multiple quick transitions it was faster in sport as the car could change direction quicker (slaloms especially), but in longer sweeping turns it was slower, especially if there were any bumps. I have stiffer than stock springs so that may be why the softer damping worked a little better. If you go too soft, the car will hit the bump stops and will be a nightmare.

I should add that when I did the experimentation I was on street tires (direzzas) and softer damping worked better. With R6's, sport mode works better as the tires have more grip. In short, you have to try and find out.

13. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Just comparing spring choices over similar cars. Suspension travel is similar in race setup as either will barely travel and both cars have a similar weight bias. It's a combination of many things like total weight, dampers, springs and tire setup when it comes to turns. COTA is a super smooth track so tires get to be pushed harder while maintaining high grip levels.

I was hoping someone with race knowledge/history in suspension setup would chim in to guide some light...

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #64 bobzdar, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    I'm telling you, you can't compare spring rates unless the motion ratio is the same. Doesn't matter if everything else about the cars is identical, if the motion ratio is different the wheel rate is different with the same springs. Motion ratio is not suspension movement, it's the ratio of spring movement to wheel movement and has to do with how far out on the control arm the spring is mounted compared to the pivot point of the control arm. Unless the springs are mounted identically and the control arms are identical length on both cars, they won't have the same wheel rate even if they have the same spring rate and can be drastically different.

15. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I just looked at the Cayman R (2012) suspension setup, it's strut based so 1:1 motion on the spring meaning an 800lb/in spring gives 800lb/in wheel rate. On a 355, the motion ratio is something like 2:1 in front, meaning for every inch the wheel moves, the spring moves .5". That means to get an equivalent wheel rate on a 355, you'd need around 1600lb/in spring.

16. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    ^^^ This!

Interesting, kudos for trying this.

What confuses the test though is that the dampers are adjusting whilst driving, so you're switching between two different programs, like two different ECU maps of spark/ injector timing. At max lateral acceleration (and other parameters) the two programs get close to the same damping settings.... Nevertheless, this is important data to pay attention to.

Bottom line is, I'm constantly suggesting to racers who've "lost their way" to go back to soft settings (sometimes both in spring and damping), and slowly increase forces (either spring or damping, sometimes both).

The key to bump rubbers is striking them with intention or trying to avoid them altogether.

If hitting the bump rubbers intentionally, use suspension packers.

Best,
    Rob

17. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Motion ratio for F355:
    Front 0.70
    Rear 0.85

Equation:
    Wheel Rate = (Motion Ratio)^2 * Spring Rate

18. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Stanislaus, I commend you in your relentless pursuit of the optimum F355 suspension set up. I recall having an interesting phone conversation with you a few years ago...

You're discovering the iterative process of sorting a chassis and optimizing for both the track, the tire, and the most important factor: the driver.

What Ferrari SpA did with F355C is polish up a wonderful road car as best they could in the amount of time given and budget allotted. As you see, the F355 responds well biasing the wheel rates significantly toward the front, performing the additional duty of major roll control, in addition to tire compliance, ride comfort (or lack of), etc.

To sort a given car, amateur racers have limited resources, so typically it's trial/ test/ change/ repeat until a trend is established.

You're on the right track, ultimately you must install a certain specification of spring(s), set dampers to something (with or without suspension computer control), and then drive, taking as much data as possible...

I'm happy to discuss strategy with you; a phone call would likely work best. Best time for an extended call is between 9:30am - 2:00pm Eastern (earlier and later is crazy around here).

Best,
    Rob

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Unless rules maxed define spring rates and you wanted to do something funny why would anyone except nascar want to run on bump rubbers? How many performance street cars if any are designed to use the rubbers for anything other than protecting from over travel? It seems to me that using rubbers means you lack travel and that is a bad thing but I hear about people tuning with rubbers and packers like it should be part of everyone's tuning armamentarium. I need a lesson on rubbers and packers.

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There you go, to get an equivalent 800lb/in wheel rate that the Cayman has, you need 1600lb/in front springs, which is what the challenge has. You're going to have to find your 10 seconds somewhere else. I'd start with tires and work from there. It always starts with the tires.

If you get within 2 seconds, you can probably start to fine tune to get that last little bit, but honestly 10 seconds is an eternity. Do you have video of the caymans to see where the 355 is a lot slower? If it's in the turns, I'd be surprised unless they run a different tire.

I'll repeat, do not underestimate the difference tires make. If the Caymans run a different slick (brand or model) than the 355ch cars, it's very difficult to compare them.

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I have data for numerous Caymans doing 2:24-2:29. Send me your best and I'll tell you exactly where it is... ;)

22. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Thanks Everyone! It's a mission for me as there are not too many places to turn to for what I have done. My 1999 355 was a low mileage extra clean one owner car but, it's on a mad course to go 355 Challenge (trailer required) to reminisce of what it felt like back when the 355 Challenge was introduced. Every 355 Challenge car I have seen is beaten to the point of near destruction. Today we have COTA which is one of the best tracks in the world and my experiences have been acquiring data with upgrades along the way for 2.5+ years now. Always using experienced/professional instructors to aid in pushing the near limits of this car on the various tracks we have down here. Now I like to return again with a true 355 challenge suspension as I am still on street OEM setup and I need to be optimized as best as possible for the cars sake. I am just having fun going faster and faster and taking in the behavior of the car along the way. I only hope it doesn’t handle like a Spec Racer Ford! While I like the mechanics that go with racing there just too much to take in with other things I do but, I'm always willing to learn what I don't know. Don't we all...

ProCoach I will send my Aim Solo DL data files and try to upload my 2:40.xx lap video on youtube. I am just trying to get down to 2.37.xx thru 2.35.xx lap after lap after lap using the Challenge Brakes & Suspension + Pirelli Slicks. We will find out soon and if you’re going in Feb for MVP let me know. The Race Pad made a HUGE difference last time out.

Rob – I will give you a buzz to talk suspension geometry setup.

23. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
  24. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Send me that data!

25. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    #75 Rothbauer_Racing, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The transformation has been a bit of a struggle these past few months but, we are almost there. Mostly due to missing parts that were needed when the car was up on the rack or party disassembled. For instance the Challenge Brake lines which are special to the Brembo Calipers, these are special banjo connection type. What’s nice is all these parts are just a direct bolt-on, like the gearbox oil cooling system that uses one of the A/C lines. Our biggest challenge was installing the Sparco EVO racing seats and all those safety harness eye bolts to the chassis.

We finally managed to get all the required NEW OEM 355 Challenge Suspension & Brake items installed and now we are in process of setting up the corner balance, track alignment and fine tuning before we head back to Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas in early May for the 2015 Carrera of the Americas PCA Club Race and DE.

It will be exciting to see (lap times) just how much better this car could be on top of our previous setup we had been running. It’s like a NEW 355 Challenge car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login