Ferrari 360 F1 clutch slipping need new clutch | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 F1 clutch slipping need new clutch

Discussion in '360/430' started by markoj44, Aug 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markoj44

markoj44 Guest

Feb 8, 2012
    Im in michigan....and have a 2001 360 spider f1...and the clutch is about gone...definetly needs a new clutch......the dealer wants 8000......i refuse to do that....does anyone know anyone who does clutches in michigan or close by for a good price...i wouldnt even mind shipping it if i had to....8000 is nuts though...any help would be appreciated

Thank you
    Marko

2. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The parts alone come to $3,800. Not sure about the time involved, but I think you need a dealer to do it as they have to hook it up to the computer for the settings. A private garage will not have access to that.
    Alan

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You don't need a dealer to do it. Finding an independent garage that has a leonardo will let you replace the clutch more cost effectively.

$3800-ish is for ALL the parts and perhaps a flywheel. Think Bearing $600 ricambi and clutch $1579 ricambi. Support flange and sensors extra. If you need a flywheel and can't get it machined figure a grand or $1500 for that.

I don't have a specific shop in mind, but try the area specific boards for a recommendation and perhaps nearby states. The transport alone might be cost effective in reducing the costs.

4. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    360 flywheel cannot be machined,special angle on surface

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've read of a couple places that have done it. The slight bevel surface can be done.

6. markoj44

markoj44 Guest

Feb 8, 2012
    i knew this one was gonna be ruff....found a place in florida....4500 ferrari certified dealer but closest i can get

7. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Also consider if something goes wrong, or you may need adjustments, you'll have to ship the car back again to Florida.

I took my car to the Ferrari dealer in San Diego for some repairs and went to pick it up on two different occasions and there was a problem. The first time I started heading home, (100 miles) and the same problem surfaced for the initial shop visit. The other time, I was taking the train there to pick up the car. On the way there, the dealer was trying to get in touch with me to tell me that they hadn't resolved the problem and not to pick up the car. Too late, I arrived and had to turn around and catch the train back to LA

What I'm trying to say is, be careful about going so far from home to save a few bucks. It may all turn into a nightmare. I would really try to find some Ind dealer locally to do the work. Much easier to resolve issues if they arise after the new clutch goes in.

Good luck

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Yikes; public transportation (only in Europe).... But +1; agree. Closer is better.

9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Sorry I though that Leonardo was only available to Ferrari dealers. My local guy doesn’t have one and I assumed that was the reason but maybe it's cost.
    Alan

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alan- Leonardo is an aftermarket system and you will not find it at Ferrari Dealers. They have the System Diagnostics (English translation) systems SD1, SD2, and SD3 for earlier Ferraris and they use an online system, MODIS, for the later cars.

11. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Wrong. Buy a new flywheel of you wish, but they definitely can be machined.....

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Terry
    Thanks for that explanation.
    Alan

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This one Alan. Even an ST05 is $15K

14. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Welcome to Ferrari ownership…….That's the going rate for a complete clutch job.

No one every said a Ferrari was cheap to fix. It’s not like you have to do it every 10,000 miles. You’ll probably not put enough miles on the car to have to do it again. How many previous owners? . The guy before you dumped it just in time, you just got unlucky paying the bill.

As a bonus, when performed by an authorized dealer, you also get a 2 year warranty on the parts & labor.

So what's your idea of a good price? What are you going to do when the timing belts come due?

I know........Wait for at least 5 years & have an independent do the minimum (change just the belts).

It’s your car, & your going to do what you want…………

15. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I agree just take it to authorized dealer I just bit the bullet waiting for its return replaced everything except the ring gear it was in great shape and there was no need to replace. Apparently there was some grease leaking on the throw out bearing so that was replaced. All in all somewhere in the 8k range but it is done.

16. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The $3,800 was just for the clutch, throw out beating, new sensor and sensor bracket plus other bits and pieces, no flywheel. I'm sure it’s a transaxle removal to do it. Not sure if the engine comes out (no reason to).
    Alan

17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Last month had clutch release bearing go bad and the effort to replace ... might as well do the entire clutch. My indie shop did entire job for $4700. That included clutch, release bearing, sensor, resurface flywheel, engine and transmission oil change and labor.

18. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    an independent shop can change the clutch. if they don't have the computer, they often work with a dealer to get that done. car is flat bed onto the dealer for programming.

my local shop will do it for about $5-6k, all inclusive. $4k is too cheap. i suspect they didn't quote you on TO bearing, which needs to be done in most cases.

19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Be careful to ensure apples-to-apples.

I've seen pretty consistently (Both dealer and indy shops) charge $4500 for a "clutch" job. Not touching the fly wheel. And, the quotes go up to $9,000 for a fly wheel replacement and clutch job.

$8000 for a "clutch job" without touching the fly wheel would be by far the highest I've heard in the US (not that I've heard more than a handful, I stopped checking after getting ~5 quotes of $4500.). What all did the $8k include? (Some dealers like to quote the higher number to include the fly wheel and then charge less if it is in okay shape).

20. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I've not yet ever come across an occasion where the clutch can be replaced without the flywheel being resurfaced or renewed. They really take a beating once clutch wear reaches around 70% onward...

21. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    What is the Ferrari clutch compatible with -- any other car makers? Also does anybody have the actual info on the sensors required at the job change? I'm sure they are cross listed from other car makers (think Alfa).

22. markoj44

markoj44 Guest

Feb 8, 2012
    ok so as far as everyone is telling me its just safer to do the clutch for 8k at cauley ferrari and be safe?....just a hard pill to swallow thats all....i think its ridiculous...its a clutch..not a trans

23. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I am planning on my clutch next year...we all have to pay the piper sooner or later for the incredible miles in these cars. $8k is what my dealer said should be the high end, should be closer to $6k but he wont know of course until he does the work next year, right now I have 45% clutch life left. Knowing they frequently start failing around 20% I expect to be there next year...another 8 to 10k miles when I also do the belts.

I agree it does seem like ridiculous pricing, way beyond what it should be.

24. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Where are you located? If you're near the west side near Grand Rapids, there is a indy on 29th st that I know has serviced lambos and ferraris. Might be worth checking....

25. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    This was the parts list and costing from Ferrari did not include throw-out bearing which had to be replaced it was leaking and starting to fail. The ring gear was fine and not replaced.

1 0 201680 CLUTCH ASSEMBLY 360 0021 1908.23 1908.23 1908.23

6 0 186196 SCREW M6X24 0010J 15.23 15.23 91.38

1 0 123236 SEALING RING 00090 20.30 20,30 20.30

1 0 178060 SENSOR F1 CLUTCH POS 0022C 1517.71 1517.71 1517.71

1 0 186157 RING GEAR 6 MOUNTING 0021 906.60 900.60 906.60

I

20% HANDLING CHARGE ON RETURNS. SUBTOTAL 4444.22

NO REFUNDS WITHOUT THIS INVOICE.

NO ITEMS RETURNABLE AFTER 10 DAYS. RESTOCK CHARGE 0.00

NO ELECTRICAL OR SPECIAL ORDERED PARTS MAY BE RETURNED.

The seller, , hereby expressly disclaims all warranties, either TAX 0.00