Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Rookie

Aug 23, 2016
    Re the green 456 at Ferrari of Washington:
    I drove that car on 10/15/12. Found it listed on the Internet, seemed a reasonable distance to drive from Harrisburg, and I was on 2 weeks vacation at the time.
    Cosmetically, I'd rate it 95/100, the only obvious flaw being leather shrinkage of the piece covering the instrument nacelle. Mechanically, though...
    The salesman took an inordinate amount of time warming the engine before proclaiming the car ready to drive. He would occasionally blip the throttle, and it really did sound good through the Tubi exhaust, which I gathered was the only modification to the car. I was not impressed by the time "needed" ( a Ferrari virgin's perspective, granted) to run the engine before driving away. We finally pulled out of the lot to a quiet back street and changed seats.
    Uh-oh. I distinctly remember reading that the 456 had a wonderfully light and easily modulated clutch. This car needed about 35 pounds of push, probably the same as a full race clutch on an American V-8. Soft bite as well, it felt thoroughly heat glazed. OK, what next? Mushy steering response, but probably just low air pressure. Maybe a little less throttle blipping and a little more pre-trip next time? Finally, the brakes had very weak bite. No squealing or grinding, but poor stopping performance.
    To you, maybe, this was a fixer-upper, just needing some sorting out. To me, who would have to stretch things to pay 50k for the car, it just seemed to be a money pit. I could only imagine needing another $20,000 to completely restore the clutch and brake systems, but again, I am a Ferrari newbie. Your investment may vary.
    The salesman said he had a prospective buyer coming from Texas to look at the car. Sure enough, the listing ended in a couple of weeks. If, however, the same car comes up for sale again, I hope I have given you some idea of what recent dealer work to look for.
    On a separate note, I want to thank FerrariChat for turning me on to Redline Shock-Proof gear oil. It is just the ticket for a 9000-rpm-redline Mazda RX-8.

3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I am also a newbie to the Ferrari camp, I finished up loosing the valve guide lottery.
    But enjoyment of a sorted car made up for the cost.

4. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well, you've got me for company on that. And it's a good time to get the major done, if you were due...

5. craiglurey

craiglurey Rookie

Aug 25, 2016
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I am in the market for a manual 456M GT late model... let me know if you're looking to sell.

6. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i realize this is the for sale thread, but figure i would post my intentions to trade my 355 for a 456 in case any out there wants to unload a portly 456 for a svelte 355 :) Looking only for a mint 456 in unusual colors.

7. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #257 166&456, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    I have driven a couple of GTs and Maranellos and the clutch on them as far as I know is never light, especially not when compared to newer cars. I remember driving modern manuals where I had an urge to look down in the footwell after depressing the clutch to assure there really was a pedal there. Perhaps the journalists meant relatively light compared to other hi perf cars.
    A clutch does get heavier as it ages so it sounds like it was worn, the slow bite is another symptom of that.
    Wooden brakes usually come from lack of use, cold racing pads, or a brake system that needs bleeding (large imbalance front/right).
    So indeed a car that could do with some mechanical attention.

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  9. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    As my car had sat for 7 years I had a every fluid, injectors cleaned, A/C pump overhauled, and alternator replaced A/C pump leaked. New 575 engine mounts. Radiator recored.
    New tyres, Fuel pump mounts, and mount plates. And the valve guides, shims and cam timing.
    Shocks, sticky interior and dash leather to sort.

10. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

#260 NuorderSG, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I live in California. I have this car, below, under contract and will be flying over to inspect this car in the Jacksonville, FL area.

I am buying this car to drive it. I have a young daughter and the 2+2 seating has sold me on it. Otherwise, I would just be going down to LA and getting and 2009 F430....but I am also buying this car because I have some catching up to do. I have had some significant surgery and the clock is going to run out on me within the next ten years. I already have a P-car, (911 4S with the X51 package) This will be my first Ferrari, and while I am prepared to spend quite a bit on the car for repairs over my planned ownership period, I don't want to get ripped off in the purchase.

So, I would very much appreciate recommendation for a reputable mechanic for PPI. I have done a web search but would prefer to hear from people on this site who are more passionate about cars than a search engine. Also, can anyone recommend a reasonable (sub $2K) car shipper?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ferrari-456M-d438#listing=129159314
    VIN: ZFFWL50A330130044

The current owner bought it from Marshall Goldman Motor Sales in Ohio (who, incidentally, is also listing the same car for sale...consignment I assume).

Also, I did some research on CarFax and VinAudit through the California DMV website. Overall, I don't see any glaring red flags. However, one thing that stands out is that VinAudit indicated the car been listed on eBay motors a bunch of times...like 20 times!
    So my question is should I be concerned about the eBay listings?

I guess it might just indicate a soft market for this car. Also, the Belts were done in 2013. Should I be concerned with replacing them now? -given that it only has about 3K miles on the new belt. If the PPI checks out and I consummate the deal, I am thinking of driving it from Jacksonville area to Houston and shipping it to California from there. I just want to hear people's thoughts on this? Am I crazy? For those current owners, is the low-sloping hood susceptible to rock chips and such? -any other thoughts/comments/rants?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
  12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Classic and very nice colour combo and an health price.
    Interesting this has been for sale just recently as I have records of it but not when it was for sale.

13. 456M GTA

456M GTA Karting

This is not an attempt to high jack this thread which is technical discussion - I own a 2000 (18k m) 456M GTA and plan on posting in the for sale section when I get the description and photos done. It's always been a Bay Area car and happy to send you a PM if you are interested or exchange my ownership/driving experiences.

14. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I've seen this car listed on eBay (perhaps other places as well) for the past 3-4 months while I was on the hunt for my 456 manual. It's a beautiful color combo (would have gone well with my also Blu Chiaro 412) but looks to be in a bit of rough shape, so I never pursued it.

Price seems a bit optimistic given the condition and needs.

Cheers!

Ruben

15. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

PM me I am under contract for a car out in Jacksonville Florida area pending my visual and PPI. So, if that falls through, I will be in the market for a more local car in the SF Bay Area, California

16. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    I just sold my 02 456M GTA and I have a correct set of luggage and an OEM car cover going up on e-bay soon, if anyone is interested pm me.

17. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    PM sent

18. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Here's a much needed bump to this thread.

I have been keeping my eyes on this forum as well as many other internet resources to find a good 456 *manual* specimen. Any year, just about any color (the only exception being green), even with a reasonable measure of cosmetic flaws, but in very good mechanical condition. Automatics need not apply.

Obviously I could by one today if I wanted to pay $120,000 (or more!), but I can't justify predatory pricing.

Please keep posting your findings as they become available.

19. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
  20. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I scratch my head in puzzlement about this "green" thing.

456 GT's look FABULOUS in dark green.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

21. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Yes, I followed your car's auction on Bring a Trailer recently and I thought there were unresolved questions having to do with importing the vehicle into the U.S. from Canada?

22. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yes, the main issue revolved around what work a registered importer would have to perform before it could be registered in the US. I have a buyer flying up from California next week who has contracted a RI to assess it once it arrives and then do the work. His offer is a bit lower than I'd like, but it would have met reserve on the BaT auction.

23. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Mat, I'm glad you ended up landing on a deal you're ok with. Your car is drop dead gorgeous. Is the car headed here to Ca?

Cheers!

Ruben

24. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Thanks Ruben! Yes, sunny California. I don't think many Ferraris will have seen as much of the world as this one.