Ferrari 458 Italia SP12 - Eric Clapton | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Italia SP12 - Eric Clapton

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 430 scuderia, Oct 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like it. But what I'm wondering is all the money spent and regular old 458 wheels. Why?

2. shado

shado Guest

May 5, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Shado Ra
    Need proper professional pictures of the car i think. Bad way to present it to the world.

3. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    My thoughts exactly!

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Much more than P 4/5 including the donor Enzo.

5. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
  6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Probably out of money...expect a new album and tour..."My Custom Ferrari Needs New Shoes"...oh to have the rich man's Blues! :D

7. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #107 AJ, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Do you know why it cost so much more than P4/5? If you had commissioned Ferrari to design and produce P4/5 would it have cost much more?

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    After P 4/5 and Kappa Ferrari shut the door and took over Special Projects. Things changed...

9. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Looks like you got a relative bargain, a fantastic looking one at that.

10. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    #112 sltillim, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    I kind of like it but I would not have approved on the final design. It is great to see a mid/rear engined 12 again!

The best view on this car is certainly the rear. It has those classic 512BB characteristics. I do not like how low the the bottom of the bumper line is. I would have pulled it up a bit and there needs to be a little more rear wheel exposed. I do like the tail lights and everything above - especially the top decklid spoiler used to pull air into the engine bay.

Side View - starting at the flying buttreses / c pillar? where the air intake is - It feels very much like the new one off Stratos that was made - even 308 GT4 'ish. Where the flat body line i would have put in one of the long 308GTB scalloped intake or a well shaped NACA duct. I kind of like rest of the side. the Boxer line works well and I do think going from the A pillar to the front fender has that sexy upsweep from the door to the front before dropping the front bumper

Front View - this his where the car needs the most help. those lights... something needs to be done but there are the testing rules somebody mentioned earlier since the car is factory. Perhaps they could have put a different light cover with a yellow lower section to reflect the fog lamp? I would have preferred something more horizontal - perhaps they could have used an older 360 casing and handed him a cover to put on after to make it look more flat to get around the rules?.?. The front uper grill needs to be more trapazoidal tapering out from the front going back - just a little. Perhaps pull out one of those blades on the grill to shorten it or have three shorter gills. The color of the grill is off compared to the rest of the car putting too much emphasis on it - needs to be the same flat black color as all the rest of the body fittings on the engine cover and
    boxer paint. I like the lower grill but i wonder if the deforming flaps are behind it for aerodynamics?

Finally the wheels need to go. Somebody posted the picture of the Spider with the HRE 505 Vintage series. they would look great in an anodized grey on this car.

a little more then a $.02. Maybe I should have been a designer.

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow, that's a nice-looking car. :D

I like the use of a front grill rather than the moustache aerodynamic components and the headlights look far less radical - more understated. I'd be interesting to see pictures of the back end to see what they've done there.

So far, I really like it. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
  13. jokr

jokr Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    If so he should have got the engine from the F12. Otherwise he will have to suffer the same paltry 570 hp like the rest of us. Every time you put your foot down, you think "If only I had another 170 hp . . ."

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    However interesting this design may appear due to novelty. If a kit car had been made with these looks we would be howling at its lack of line and general uglyness. Sometimes the Italians get it really wrong, and this is one of those times.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting thought.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's unfortunately a 458 in Boxer clothes -- that don't fit.

What I would have done is more subtle. The front grill and the hood are not bad actually and I like the Enzo headlights. But the sides and the rear are really just a bad cut and paste job with no real design sense. If they had take cues from the boxer instead of being so literal, I think it could have really worked.

It's too bad because the concept was excellent.

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1; I think SP1 falls into the same line of thought.

18. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Absolutely. The names Clapton and Ferrari is what gives this credibility. Had Mansory taken a car and created this it would've been met with far more contempt. The Enzo lights reminds me of the VW scene during the 90s where owners would take headlamps and taillights from a modern Audi/VW and graft them into an old Golf.

19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    At the end of the day there is only one man's opinion which counts.

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think the SP1 is as a whole not bad and parts of it are excellent.

21. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    SP12 may very well suggest 12 cyl engine.
    With that being said:
    SP1 is the one in Japan
    SP2 is the Gold Aperta
    SP3 according to Forza magazine exist , but nobody knows anything about it
    SP4 is the Blue Superamerica that belongs to Mr. Kulikow

So you are technically missing SP5-to -SP11...LOL

22. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +1

$4.74 million USD as of this moment. My goodness.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #125 ryalex, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017