Ferrari dealerships when the 308/328 series was new | FerrariChat

Ferrari dealerships when the 308/328 series was new

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fairview, Apr 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #1 Fairview, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The interesting thread about original dealer license plate frames got me curious about where my 1978 308 GTS was sold new. I see per the warranty book that it was delivered in the spring of 1979 at the Griswold Co. in Berkeley, California. In my internet research about Griswold Co., I see that Rifledriver worked there at some point, so it must have been a very cool place!

Where was your Ferrari delivered? Any pictures? It would be great to see how the dealerships back in the day compare to the glass, chrome, and Keurig equipped dealerships of today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    #2 built2grind, Apr 30, 2017
    Jeff,

I was thinking of posting a thread very similar to this myself once I found my '84 308 was originally delivered to Monterey Ferrari for a Pre delivery service and inspection. I was curious about any history of that process. It appears my car was delivered to Monterey from the factory, and on May 29, 1984 the Pre delivery Inspection was performed. The car was then first sold on July 31, 1984 to a gentleman from Rochester NY. The car has since returned the Monterey Peninsula where it will remain.

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    My 85 308 GTS was originally deliver to Ray Ramsey's in Monterey. They did the pre-delivery service at the end of January 1985 (as indicated in the warranty book). But the car then went to the Washington DC area dealer American Service Center with a first retail sale by them late August 1985.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The dealership growth is certainly an interesting topic. Given the resources present within FChat, I would think that it would be relatively easy to put together a "census" of Ferrari dealers from warranty books. This could be a spreadsheet at 5-year intervals to start and later go back to fill in the gaps. A map(s) over time would also be interesting. Gentlemen, have at it!

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    well mine shows Ferrari of Houston with Chris Watson as salesman on Aug 10, '88

and what is Tuff Coat Dinol?

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Here in Quebec it was Luigi. It was a very small place compared to todays FoQ. Today's dealers are huge and impersonnal. I way prefered the smallest and warmest car dealers of yesteryears. Any brand.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I remember back in the day that all "foreign" car dealers whether it be MG, Fiat, Triumph, Volvo, etc. were small independent businessmen entrepreneurs. Small make-shift facilities in contrast to today's acre+ chrome and glass monuments.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My 1983 308 GTS QV had it's Pre-Delivery Inspection completed in December 1983 by Mike Miller of Ferrari West Monterey at 851 Delmonte Ave, Monterey. It was sold and delivered in January 1984 by salesman George Mahi.

Interestingly, the 1,500 mile inspection (1984) by Mike Miller was again stamped "Ferrari West Monterey" still at 851 Delmonte Ave, Monterey, however the 7,500 mile inspection (1985) by Mike Miller was stamped "Monterey Jaguar - Rolls Royce - Ferrari" now at 735 Del Monte Blvd, Monterey. The last stamped inspection page is for the 15,000 mile inspection which is unsigned but stamped "Monterey Jaguar - Rolls Royce - Ferrari" now at 1711 Del Monte Blvd, Seaside. Three locations.

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I used to own a 328 originally sold by Big Red's Sportscars in OK.

Dave

noblesteed likes this.
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I used to work at Knauz!

11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a 78 308 GTS Griswold, too. And the handwriting in my warranty book is exactly the same as yours. Thanks for sharing.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The upper half of the page was filled out by Ferrari. The lower half by Jerry Gamez.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Manufacturers went around to independent garages and offered them dealerships. They just wanted someone known in that market and could support the product.

Griswold was authorized service before it became authorized sales and service.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My car was delivered to me by Stan Nowak at Bob Sharp Ferrari in Danbury, May of 1985. My understanding is that Sharp bought the franchise when Chinetti Motors in Greenwich closed. Miller Motors bough the franchise from Sharp and sometime later, in the early 90's, moved it back to the site of Chinetti Motors in Greenwich where it is today, though much expanded.

15. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    My '75 gt4 was spec'ed by and delivered to Ron Tonkin for his first cousin Bert Tonkin, a San Francisco fashion entrepreneur. I have some documents that link the car to R.A.B. In Marin (perhaps for delivery to Bert). I believe my dad picked up the car in December '76 from Los Gatos Ferrari.

16. DustyM

DustyM Karting

Jun 7, 2011
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Jon Miller
    My '74 GT4 was a dealer demonstrator or possibly a directors company car

It was registered to Lancaster Garages in Colchester UK for the first year of its life. They are still a Ferrari dealer to this day, I must call in there one day to see if they have any records.

17. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you. very nice to know that detail. Our documents were filled out 3 months apart @Griswold and our chassis numbers are a few hundred different. But the handwriting is so similar, the books could've been penned the very same morning :)

18. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    #18 eyeman1234, Apr 30, 2017
  19. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I believe it's dinitrol. That thick waxy bronze undercoatimg on the frame to prevent rust.

20. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I never managed to find out where my car was sold. I wrote to Algar and a few other east coast dealers and while some had seen the car in the past and provided redacted records, none could tell me the initial dealer for 26359 in 78 or it's early history.

21. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    This is an interesting thread to me.......keep 'em coming

22. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    my 75 308 GT4 was also from Griswold

23. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes
    #23 jersey308gtb, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Does anyone on the off chance, have the dealership sticker for Melbourne Garage Car Sales Ltd, Jersey, Channel Islands?

Would love to make a repro.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    My car was ordered and delivered through Newport Imports in Newport Beach, CA.

It was actually ordered new for a fellow F-Chatter. Years later he ordered a new 430 Spider in the same color combination.

25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Would love to see some photos of these dealerships back in the day. Many I'm sure were pretty unimpressive showrooms by today's standards.